HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:11 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,495 Posts
Dude,

The elevator servo is showing full up....what happened? It looks like you're flying Spektrum...it isn't a case of "Spektrum Wrecked 'em", is it ???

Sorry to see your loss, especially on a plane that's discontinued...

Maybe a little (or a lot ) of GG will do the trick; I dunno, it looks pretty serious...

I guess you'll have to buy a Navy Scheme T-28 and continue the mission !
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:15 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Quote:
Model: DFF392
Fix it!! mine looked worse not too long ago (I was flying at an unfamiliar flying club and accidentally flew "into the sun", got blinded while flying inverted and the plane hit the ground in a vertical dive)

you'll need some glue, toothpicks, lollipop sticks, LOTS of Patience) a few replacement parts (depending on damage to the motor mount, motor, cowl and propeller) and you'll have it back in the air.

Brgds,

Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:24 AM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,821 Posts
I had a spectacular T-28 mishap myself, yesterday, but it was not the "Class A" we are lamenting, above.

I was flying at an unfinished, abandoned golf course having long, relatively narrow meadows with tall trees on both sides. I was flying my last battery, having drained every battery in my UMX MiG and T-28. It wad been a glorious morning.

I was 8-minutes into a relatively scale flight and contemplating landing. But I wanted to celebrate the day and, while flying a downwind leg, decided to perform a high-speed low pass. **cue dramitic music and whisper "Use the force, Luke! Let go..."**

I did an accelerating descending turn into the fairway... but, there was this one oak tree that stuck out a limb... and the plane passed behind the limb. Before I could react, there was a burst of leaves exploding into the air and the T-28 emerged; it was knife-edge and the wing was slightly askew... the aft wing attach had apparently failed and the wing was now held only by my reworked fitting, whose photos I recently uploaded, above. The aircraft was on a crosswind heading, directly towards the trees on the other side of the strip. I applied elevator to pull the aircraft parallel to the runway, but the authority wasn't there. I tried to roll wings level, but had no aileron control. I used rudder to get the nose higher and the airspeed down and killed power just before she entered a tree on the near side of the runway. That tree completed the wing removal process and the fuselage became a lawn dart, while the wing auto-rotated to the ground.

That was cool! If only I had video... if only a squirrel had been in that limb!

I'll be asking a Dollar Tree foam glider to function as an organ donor, to repair the torn foam. I'll try to repair the cowl, before I buy a replacement. The prop is toast and the elevator is torn at the control horn. I'll re-skin the horizontal stab, adding a bit'o'CF for the heck of it, and fabricate a new elevator from MPF.

As we would say on deployment... You need to "embrace the suck!"

Speaking of the USAF flavored T-28. I was in the LHS yesterday and there were two, new-in-the-box USAF T-28s in the parkflyer corral; and, some spare parts, like cowls, on the racks.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:49 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
repairing cracked and broken cowls

Here's an easy way to fix your cowl.

you need a small bit of GAUZE pad which you'll use as one would use fibreglass fibers and cyano glue.

1. Apply some packaging or masking tape from the outside, this will seal the crack and hold the parts in alignment.
2. use sand paper to roughen slightly the surface on both sides of the cracks. (all this is done on the inside of the cowl)
3. apply Cyano on the sides of the crack and place a small patch of Gauze across it.
4. saturate the pad with Cyano glue.
5. use a bit of (wide) packaging tape to press the patch onto the cowl and hold unitil the glue dries.
6. peel the tape and you are done.

I've repaired many cowls in this manner.

Brgds,

Danny
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:18 AM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,708 Posts
Terrible sight indeed..... It sucks... But i think people dont get it as i get it when it happens to me... For some reason i get sad and have to wait a couple of days to get over it
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Blinkguy, you are not the only one.
After I crashed the T28 it sat in my workshop for two months before I decided to tackle the repairs.
Luckily I had other planes to fly in the meantime.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:27 AM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_l View Post
Blinkguy, you are not the only one.
After I crashed the T28 it sat in my workshop for two months before I decided to tackle the repairs.
Luckily I had other planes to fly in the meantime.
yeah right man!! its the real down side of this hobby... you get too familiar with each plane
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:37 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,576 Posts
Lhs

I'm spoiled with so many LHS in Houston area...I would just go to LHS and plunk down my $30 for a new fuse...I just did that a month or two ago. Just too easy and not that expensive.

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:47 AM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs2010 View Post
i'm spoiled with so many lhs in houston area...i would just go to lhs and plunk down my $30 for a new fuse...i just did that a month or two ago. Just too easy and not that expensive.

Russ
+1
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:56 AM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
Parkzone T28 video

Here are a couple of videos I did yesterday trying out a Swan Freestyle HD camera on my stock Parkzone T28. It was a bit windy (look at the wind sock in the video- it was straight out across the runway) here in Texas but did manage to get a couple of flights in. In hindsight I probably should have finished cutting the front of the canopy.

T28RearView (8 min 16 sec)

T28FrontView (5 min 37 sec)
rgwilson is online now Find More Posts by rgwilson
Last edited by rgwilson; Sep 04, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:28 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,495 Posts
davidterrell80,

It looks a lot worse at first glance in the pics than it really is....at a closer inspection, it actually looks like she's completely salavageable. So all in all, that's a horrific sounding, but seemingly completely manageable crash/accident. Of course we expect repair pics, journal, etc. It'll be nice to see her back up in the air.

BTW, I'd snatch up one of those USAF T-28's as they are discontinued and would be nice to add to the hanger ! I just picked one up from the classifieds and they're a sharp looking model. Curiously, it flys just like my Navy T-28...

Oh, and try to stay away from those plane-eating trees...they can be voracious at times!

Cheers and happy flying !
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:59 PM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
the power 10 is rated for 3s. not sure if will be good to 4s on on it. i have see couple of user on this thread running 4s on stock power. maybe you should try.. also the headsup.com power up 480 plus or speed can go fine on 4s and.

dont forgot to use them on your new futaba 7C will make her faster
I run the heads up 480 plus on 3 and 4s on the stock airframe, 45a esc. 4s w a 9x6 prop is 60-65mph.

Now my other t28 with 840 watts is another story
srt8madness is offline Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:02 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,034 Posts
Will the stock motor mount handle the additional stresses from an E-Flite Power 10 or a Hoobby King G10?
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:11 PM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Will the stock motor mount handle the additional stresses from an E-Flite Power 10 or a Hoobby King G10?
I've got an OS 15 outrunner on mine, not a problem. The stock mount is fine.
rgwilson is online now Find More Posts by rgwilson
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:15 AM
Gravitationally challenged
Joined Aug 2012
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
+1
Yep and one of the great reasons we bought a Parkzone T28 in the first place. Readily available and reasonably priced spares. Full power to you PZ!
Flyindude is offline Find More Posts by Flyindude