HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined May 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumna View Post
Ever have this happen? Did a nice light touch & go, and one of the wing landing gears falls off! Lightly bouncing on the runway as the plane is going back up. I thought that's a situation I'd never considered, uh oh, but luckily there was someone skillful there that landed it for me real softly, leaning into the side with LG, and no harm done, just a little wingtip scrape. Might be a good idea to add some epoxy, tape or hot glue to help hold in the wing LG so it doesn't happen to another T-28!
Both of mine fell out after two seperate grass landings. I just made sure I glued them back in properly and it's been all good since.
Boro is offline Find More Posts by Boro
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Feb 2010
198 Posts
Not really, no.

I always practiced power off landings in the T28 when stock, so I feel like I have a handle on what it used to fly like. I can get the elevator back about 1/2 way without inducing a stall. Comes down steep and hot. Power off glide feels significantly faster, too. Plane seems to roll out much farther on landing - on the ball field, if I land at shortstop, it rolls out all the way to first! ;-)

Now that you mention CG, I have pushed the battery farther back in order to balance it. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2010 View Post
It should land the same unless the CG has been effected by the motor weight. Just make a slower approach at a lower altitude.

Eg. In a glide with motor off it will have the same flight characteristics, no?

Russ
girmann is offline Find More Posts by girmann
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Nov 2006
431 Posts
The difference in weight between the Pakzone 480 and the Turnigy G10 is around 30-40 grams. If you have rebalanced your Trojan, there should be little difference in the glide speed. Try raising your nose a bit more and slowing down on final. The Trojan will slow up quite a bit before you arrive at minimum control velocity (Vmc) Just be sure to leave yourself enough elevator for the flare because repeated high sink, three point, Navy-style arrivals will eventually take their toll on the landing gear and nose wheel steering bearing
Fravits is offline Find More Posts by Fravits
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:42 PM
Gravitationally challenged
Joined Aug 2012
182 Posts
30-40 grams that far forward is a lot. Would be a good practice to check the CoG after mods like that. Remember it must be done with battery in, upside down, and canopy on. Check the pull out 2 crashes high in a power off 45dg glide. Should just gently pull out if she's all balanced up ok.

Cheers KP
Flyindude is offline Find More Posts by Flyindude
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:25 AM
Joined Feb 2010
198 Posts
Hmm... I'll try re-balancing and see if anything's changed. If I raise the nose any more on final, it either porpoises or stalls completely. I have had a few three point landings as well. (Already reinforced the firewall before installing this motor) Figured I was "out of elevator", because pulling farther back on the stick didn't seem to make any difference in ground effect. I'm guessing that increasing the throws would just cause the stall to happen faster?

I've taken it a couple of mistakes high, but it's really difficult to judge whether it's going faster or slower up there. Either way, the stall "break" seems more pronounced - even that far away. Still no bad behaviors... just a straight ahead stall - no yaw or dipping wings on the break.

Either way, it's just a joy in the air. Low altitude strafing runs are a blast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fravits View Post
The difference in weight between the Pakzone 480 and the Turnigy G10 is around 30-40 grams. If you have rebalanced your Trojan, there should be little difference in the glide speed. Try raising your nose a bit more and slowing down on final. The Trojan will slow up quite a bit before you arrive at minimum control velocity (Vmc) Just be sure to leave yourself enough elevator for the flare because repeated high sink, three point, Navy-style arrivals will eventually take their toll on the landing gear and nose wheel steering bearing
girmann is offline Find More Posts by girmann
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:51 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
419 Posts
I have purchased several T-28. They come stock at CG of 1.75. Slide the battery back to get a CG of 2.5 inches measured from the leading edge one inch out from the fusalage. When I did this several years ago my porpoising stopped and the plane flew much smoother. Try and compare for yourself. When I land I make my final turn around 400 feet out and a little above tree top height. I cut the throttle off as I exit that turn and sometimes add a click or two of power. I keep the nose slightly down all the way to the runway until I get a few feet off the ground. I try to fly about 6 inches off the ground, flare and let the plane sink to touch down. If I added any power when I cross the starting end of the runway I cut it completely.

A couple years ago I added 7 oz of lead at the CG to practice for larger planes and I purposely landed hotter. I found that practice helped my landings even after I removed the lead.
GCplane is offline Find More Posts by GCplane
Last edited by GCplane; Aug 25, 2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:56 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCplane View Post
I have purchased several T-28. They come stock at CG of 1.75. Slide the battery back to get a CG of 2.5 inches measured from the leading edge one inch out from the fusalage. When I did this several years ago my porpoising stopped and the plane flew much smoother. Try and compare for yourself. When I land I make my final turn around 400 yards out and a little above tree top height. I cut the throttle off as I exit that turn and sometimes add a click or two of power. I keep the nose down all the way to the runway until I get a few feet off the ground. I try to fly about 6 inches off the ground, flare and let the plane sink to touch down. If I added any power when I get close to the ground I cut it completely.
you start your final 1/4 of a mile out? Plane is a dot!!
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:02 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,200 Posts
Wow jajaja.

I just make my final turn like 300 feet
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:08 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by girmann View Post
Spent two years flying this thing stock and it was my primary aileron trainer. It's been through heck - at least half of it is not the original foam! <grumble> stupid depth perception <grumble>

I wanted to put another stock motor on in, but couldn't justify the cost vs. something like a Turnigy G10. So I got the 1100Kv model spinning an APC 10x7 on 3s. I have to say that unlimited vertical is intoxicating, and it's much faster. Unfortunately there's no such thing as a free lunch. but at the cost of slow flight. Landings are definitely much faster than stock - something that I wasn't expecting.

I'm wondering if there's something I can do to enhance the slow flight characteristics - maybe change to a different motor...

This is such a great airframe - fast or slow!
interesting in reading your recent posts it seems you are trying to land to fast, the other to slow. Try and land into the wind, I know I've flown at some parks where it was almost impossible to do so because of the field size, trees, people etc. A fun mod is to add flags. you can slow it down nicely. I have seen many try to land this plane to slow, stall it out and dump it on the ground.

IMO, if you want it to fly better slow, smaller prop won.t help, but a larger prop will create more drag when decreasing throttle. But if you lighten it up it'll be more floaty, fly lighter.

I think I recently posted about one I flew with a p25 and a 3300 battery. It flew fine but it felt heavy, with no flaps I wasn't going to float it in without a 10mph headwind.

I like my flaps though!
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:05 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
419 Posts
Oops I meant feet. I was thinking of a little longer than a football field.
GCplane is offline Find More Posts by GCplane
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:24 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,381 Posts
my plane is stock and i keep it at ~200 feet around me, i don't fly it out too far. when i land i deadstick it just after the final turn (100-200 feet out) and sometimes even before that - this plane is amazing it makes the final turn without any issues even with no throttle. i fly 2200 mAh batts and keep them all the way forward - yes, thats a bit nose heavy but i don't notice any issues. hopefully this info is of some use.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:23 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Quote:
I
Can someone please confirm the thread pitch on the control rods? I don't really like those plastic clevises...have heard of the pins breaking. Anyone here experienced this?
Cheers, KP
Hi,
I've had a T28 for a year of which it flies several flights at least 3 times a month.
Never had a problem with the clevises.
Also, after following this thread for almost a year (and reading most of the pages) I've not seen a report of anyone crashing as result of a broken clevis but you can buy new ones that match or you can buy metal clevises that will fit on the control rods if it makes you feel more comfortable.

Brgds,
Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:50 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,274 Posts
with a stock set up what are you guys setting your tx timer for to get a good flight but give about 1 minute to get on the ground safe? thanks, walt
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:52 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,200 Posts
Im use 7min with 3 blade cordair prop and came down safetly with 3.85v per cell.
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:08 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Quote:
with a stock set up what are you guys setting your tx timer for to get a good flight but give about 1 minute to get on the ground safe? thanks, walt
I set my timer on 8 minutes, but If I use a lot ot WOT then I land after 7 more or less.
I'd rather land sooner and replace the battery then run a Lipo Flat.

Brgds,

Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l