SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:26 AM
Dirtnap Certified
Joined Aug 2012
195 Posts
Hi all

Have recently got back into the hobby after about a 26 year hiatus. Lo and behold haven't electrics improved...

I first bought a HK J3 Grasshopper made by Guan Li. As I have learned, the HK stuff is of dubious quality, was considered too small to see 2 crashes plus high and has no spares backup. Plus the CoG was way rearward and quite a bit of re engineering was required to make it flyable. I digress.

Second purchase was the Multiplex Easystar 2. Hello quality...a bit expensive perhaps for what it is but good to build and reasonable to fly. But it is a bit flappy and it can wallow and pitch under power etc.

So a few weeks ago a fellow member at the club suggested I fly his T28. I looked at him, like seriously, you want ME to fly your plane? Thanks to Spektrum DX8s we were able to fly mixed modes in buddy config, him on mode 2, me on mode 1. And what a delight it was. It pointed well, was quick and looked great in the air and was way more aerobatic than my ES2. Immediately after finishing the flight I picked up the phone and put a hold on a Navy T28. Now busy installing flaps, bought an APC 10x7e, doing the larger 2.5" dubro wheel mod, bought a spare motor mount and cowl. Have nearly gone batty reading the first 400 plus page thread and about 300 pages of this one. Hope to become a useful contributor.

By the way what size and length is the wing spar in the T28? I think I read 2mm dia somewhere but the length wasn't mentioned.

Cheers Kendrick
Flyindude is offline Find More Posts by Flyindude
Last edited by Flyindude; Aug 23, 2012 at 07:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:06 AM
Perth, WA
Joined Jul 2006
467 Posts
Hey guys, had a package from HK turn up today with a MA 10x7 prop which doesn't fit on the parkzone shaft.

What do I need to run it with the stock T-28 engine? Cheers
Same is online now Find More Posts by Same
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:09 AM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,727 Posts
Use a reamer and enlarge the hole
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:44 AM
Perth, WA
Joined Jul 2006
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
Use a reamer and enlarge the hole
Thanks for the reply, is there anything I could buy instead of modding the prop? I'm not sure what adapter to use.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:09 AM
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,727 Posts
What motor you have on it?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:31 AM
United States, PA, Gettysburg
Joined Mar 2011
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Same View Post
Thanks for the reply, is there anything I could buy instead of modding the prop? I'm not sure what adapter to use.
You probably just need one of these: http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/.../EFLM1924.html
jeb6684 is offline Find More Posts by jeb6684
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:45 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,232 Posts
Welcome to the "dark side" Flyindude....

"Dark" in that after flying the PZ T-28, everything goes dark in your mind in regards to other models !

But seriously, even though the PZ T-28 isn't exact scale (I believe the term for it is "stand-off scale" or "semi-scale"), it's flight characteristics and durability are so infectious that you'll spend as much time as you can at the field continuously pushing the flight envelope of this marvellous little model.

I don't know the size of the spar...I just know that it withstands some pretty high "G" forces as I fly mine fairly aggressively. If you look at the video posted here in the last couple of pages, the dude really knows how to fly and is flying a bone-stock T-28....no mods.

Enjoy it right out of the box...there's plenty of time for mods later

Cheers all
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:13 PM
United States, TN, Gray
Joined Nov 2010
157 Posts
Ever have this happen? Did a nice light touch & go, and one of the wing landing gears falls off! Lightly bouncing on the runway as the plane is going back up. I thought that's a situation I'd never considered, uh oh, but luckily there was someone skillful there that landed it for me real softly, leaning into the side with LG, and no harm done, just a little wingtip scrape. Might be a good idea to add some epoxy, tape or hot glue to help hold in the wing LG so it doesn't happen to another T-28!
jumna is offline Find More Posts by jumna
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:39 PM
Dirtnap Certified
Joined Aug 2012
195 Posts
I know you are right, but I'm an automotive Prototype Engineer, and can't help myself....

Can someone please confirm the thread pitch on the control rods? I don't really like those plastic clevises...have heard of the pins breaking. Anyone here experienced this?

Cheers, KP
Flyindude is offline Find More Posts by Flyindude
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:03 PM
Perth, WA
Joined Jul 2006
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
What motor you have on it?
Stock brushless that came with it.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:16 PM
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Same View Post
Stock brushless that came with it.
First of all, stock prop will be faster than 10x7. You should stay on stock unless you go upgrade motor wish is not needed.

But if you still want to go 10x7 MA no need for new adapter just enlarge the hole of the prop, if you dont have a reamer, i have use lots of time a scissors leg.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Nov 2006
466 Posts
Hey jumna! I've had that happen a couple of times. I just held some aileron in until she slowed enough and the wing set itself down. No problem. What is really fun is that you can give it some aileron and throttle and the wing will lift off and you are flying again! No damage either, if you are flying off grass. Is this a great airplane or what?
Fravits is offline Find More Posts by Fravits
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Feb 2010
198 Posts
Spent two years flying this thing stock and it was my primary aileron trainer. It's been through heck - at least half of it is not the original foam! <grumble> stupid depth perception <grumble>

I wanted to put another stock motor on in, but couldn't justify the cost vs. something like a Turnigy G10. So I got the 1100Kv model spinning an APC 10x7 on 3s. I have to say that unlimited vertical is intoxicating, and it's much faster. Unfortunately there's no such thing as a free lunch. but at the cost of slow flight. Landings are definitely much faster than stock - something that I wasn't expecting.

I'm wondering if there's something I can do to enhance the slow flight characteristics - maybe change to a different motor...

This is such a great airframe - fast or slow!
girmann is offline Find More Posts by girmann
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:31 PM
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by girmann View Post
Spent two years flying this thing stock and it was my primary aileron trainer. It's been through heck - at least half of it is not the original foam! <grumble> stupid depth perception <grumble>

I wanted to put another stock motor on in, but couldn't justify the cost vs. something like a Turnigy G10. So I got the 1100Kv model spinning an APC 10x7 on 3s. I have to say that unlimited vertical is intoxicating, and it's much faster. Unfortunately there's no such thing as a free lunch. but at the cost of slow flight. Landings are definitely much faster than stock - something that I wasn't expecting.

I'm wondering if there's something I can do to enhance the slow flight characteristics - maybe change to a different motor...

This is such a great airframe - fast or slow!
for better slow flights try a 10x5
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:15 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,660 Posts
Faster landings

It should land the same unless the CG has been effected by the motor weight. Just make a slower approach at a lower altitude.

Eg. In a glide with motor off it will have the same flight characteristics, no?

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 Drawing to a close!