SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:19 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
You can use bath caulky to glue the wing. Will hold solid but easy to unglue. Or make a layer and let dry before put the wing with clear silicone
got it. thanks. i may just do so in a month or so when i have more space options and so don't need to disassemble the wing.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:17 PM
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Nov 2011
343 Posts
Motor thoughts

I have an 580 kv that operates on a 4s 2650 mah 25-50c battery that came out of my FMS FW 190. What do you guys think of putting it in my T28? The motor uses a 65 amp esc and a master airscrew 10 x 7 3 blade prop. I have a watt meter to test it but i need to get a different mount to make it work. Didnt want to go to the trouble if it wasn't going to work. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.
Rangie5169 is online now Find More Posts by Rangie5169
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:21 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
I crashed my T28 3 months ago when I attended a fly-in that was hosted at a small airfield (full scale). the organizers failed to consider that all RC pilots had to fly with the sun in front of us throughout the whole day.

I ended up getting blided for a moment and when I regained sight of the plane it was just about to hit the ground in an almost vertical dive, and it did....

one wing cracked, the canopy broken, the nose crushed, cowl destroyed. motor torn out of the mount....

Since I've moved on to flying mostly glow-motor planes and still have a few other foamies I did not bother to fix it, but left it in a corner.

last week I decided to give it a go and it took a few hours of patience with glue, carbon fibre rods, some balsa and a few bits and pieces.

Yesterday I flew it again and realized once more what a fun plane this is.

My son flies solo with some top-wing foam trainers and is now "taken ownership of the T28"... hopefully he'll let me fly it every now and then.

Brgds,
Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:24 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
You can use bath caulky to glue the wing. Will hold solid but easy to unglue. Or make a layer and let dry before put the wing with clear silicone
I used UHU Por. Probably not as easy to get apart again. But hopefully I won't need to. I have noticed the the plane flies more consistently with both small and large batteries since I glued the wing on - I used to have to retrim a little, now I don't.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined Nov 2011
343 Posts
Setup not what i thought it would be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangie5169 View Post
I have an 580 kv that operates on a 4s 2650 mah 25-50c battery that came out of my FMS FW 190. What do you guys think of putting it in my T28? The motor uses a 65 amp esc and a master airscrew 10 x 7 3 blade prop. I have a watt meter to test it but i need to get a different mount to make it work. Didnt want to go to the trouble if it wasn't going to work. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.
I tried the above setup. I made a motor mount as a temporary. On the watt meter it was only pulling 12.8 amps. Maybe i need wnother prop. I am in the dark on this one. Any ideas???
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:18 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
316 Posts
Wow that is wierd is the motor turning the right way?
beercandan11 is offline Find More Posts by beercandan11
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:35 PM
Joined Nov 2011
343 Posts
Yep turning the right way and the prop was on the correct way as well. The only thing i can think of is in order to hook up yhe battery, i needed to go from traxas( i think the red plugs that are round tubular on each side, to ec3, then to deans. I know its the round about way to hook it up but thats what i have. Could i be losing power through the backwards connection i am using? Would a straight connection yield a better result? Each connector traxas to ec3 and ec3 to deans is about 3" long.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:19 AM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
3,002 Posts
You say "wattmeter" but present amps.... don't forget the relationship.

Watts = Amps x Volts

You are running a 4s (higher volts). I'd expect to see lower Amps for the same wattage of output.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:16 PM
United States, KY, Danville
Joined Jul 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
I can't give you any definitive numbers but with that setup you'd lose sight of the aircraft before you'd lose signal.
I wish that were true for my last T-28. I took it up, and it was flying great... I was about 200 yards out or so, and I lost ALL control of it. It wouldn't take any inputs, and it feel from about 150 feet up straight into the ground. I have another on the way, but I just don't know if I can trust flying it with the Spektrum TX/RX. I would hate to see it happen again. I've read quite a few horror stories about the Spektrum system. I've read that even after range checks, the receiver can drop the bind and the plane comes down. Any one here have that experience?
Drifter99 is offline Find More Posts by Drifter99
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:31 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter99 View Post
I wish that were true for my last T-28. I took it up, and it was flying great... I was about 200 yards out or so, and I lost ALL control of it. It wouldn't take any inputs, and it feel from about 150 feet up straight into the ground. I have another on the way, but I just don't know if I can trust flying it with the Spektrum TX/RX. I would hate to see it happen again. I've read quite a few horror stories about the Spektrum system. I've read that even after range checks, the receiver can drop the bind and the plane comes down. Any one here have that experience?
I would tend to suspect something else more likely than tx/rx failure. What did the motor do when you lost control? Stop? Keep going the same speed? Did you have control over the throttle but nothing else? Had you made any modifications to the airplane, and if so what were they? How was the antenna on your tx oriented?

I just bought one of these little gizmos:
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM9540
You plug it in the data port on the receiver after a flight before unplugging the flight battery. It reads out the number of antenna fades, frame losses, and holds you got during the flight. At my club field yesterday with 3 other guys in the air at the same time, both of my T-28 flights had only a single frame loss. Both flights I flew out to the point where maintaining orientation was a potential problem. I was also doing rolls, loops, and other stuff that put the airplane at a wide variety of orientations relative to the transmitter. My other flights were with my extra 300, most frame losses with that was 7 - still a very small number, and nowhere near a problem. So I'm very confident that I have no radio problems. If you're concerned and/or are a sucker for gadgets like me, one of these things may give you a better feeling about range.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:22 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,002 Posts
I could count in the logs, if you wish, but I expect to have about 150 perfect Spektrum flights on 5 aircraft, with probably 20 of them out to near loss of orientation with my T-28. This number includes about 50 ultra micro flights using the game controller transmitters.

It sounds somewhat like a total power failure... my first thoughts would be to ask:
-- the attitude the aircraft was in immediately before failure (the effects of g-loads)
-- if the flight surfaces locked in the position they had at failure or returned to neutral (to tell if the battery circuit opened or not)
-- how the battery was secured (baggage may shift in flight)
-- if you'd changed connectors from the EP3 (a possible cold solder joint in the connector)
-- the age of the battery (possible bending failures of connectors)
-- if the aircraft had suffered previous crash(s) (my ESC popped loose from its glue, putting the BEC cable under stress)
-- transmitter charging habits
-- number of flights on the transmitter since recharging
-- number of recharging cycles on the transmitter batteries

Please understand I'm not championing Spektrum but rather exercising expert bias by slipping into my former role as a Manufacturing Engineering member of Bell Helicopter's Crash Investigation Team.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:29 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
2,061 Posts
holly crap!! this guy is a profesional.. that was good davidterrell80
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,061 Posts
wonder how you got into this hobby
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,002 Posts
I was a serious rubber FF hobbyist, thinking about RC, 25 years ago but got out of the hobby after one of my children was born with serious medical issues. I reentered earlier this year after he, against all medical expectations, achieved independence.

I'm prouder of him than proper.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:58 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,061 Posts
thats good to know man!! i know it should be really hard to go through all of that man