HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:43 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,887 Posts
hi all. this is probably a stupid question but what the heck. do i need to do any reinforcement of the wing mounting area (like that two pin piece on the trailing edge that goes into the fuse) or of the cockpit (like the little magnet that seems to barely hold it on the fuse)?

reason i'm asking is i wanted to start pulling barrel rolls and inverted flight on my plane. i've been a good little boy so far but i don't feel like waiting much longer. is it ok to do so on the stock without reinforcement? i have this constant worry that the cockpit for instance will fall out while inverted - it always seems to be barely clinging on with my plane.

thanks.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:51 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,911 Posts
yes it is. I do rolls and loops with no problems and my T-28 is completely stock.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:02 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
7,887 Posts
thanks chuck. now i can get my fix again
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:35 PM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
I concur. I do all those things and more with no reinforcements added. I think the only time u need to add anything is if you upgrade the motor to something alot faster and try doing WOT maneuveres. I could be wrong though, but that seems to be the consensus on here.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:15 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
7,887 Posts
thanks josh.
got it. i don't do much wot flying with this one and given my stock motor i should be fine. i love the manueverability - it has so much potential and is yet so docile if you want it.
a while back i tore my upgraded, flatwing cub's wing in flight while barrel rolling and going in and out of inverted. since then i have not wanted to push a plane unless it is structurally able to be pushed. hence my reluctance. but i guess i'm good to go with this one.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:06 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,237 Posts
I would check the wing for wiggle occasionally. Mine seemed compress the foam just a little at the sides so the screw wouldn't hold it solidly. First time I shimmed the sides with a couple layers of electrical tape, which cured it for a while. Second time added more layers. Third time I just glued the whole wing on - I figured the only time I seemed to need to take the wing off was to redo the shims anyway, so what the heck.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:34 PM
United States, KY, Danville
Joined Jul 2007
100 Posts
What kind of range do you guys get out of the Stock receiver? Meaning the BNF receiver, AR600, when paired with the DX6i?
Drifter99 is offline Find More Posts by Drifter99
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:14 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
I would check the wing for wiggle occasionally. Mine seemed compress the foam just a little at the sides so the screw wouldn't hold it solidly. First time I shimmed the sides with a couple layers of electrical tape, which cured it for a while. Second time added more layers. Third time I just glued the whole wing on - I figured the only time I seemed to need to take the wing off was to redo the shims anyway, so what the heck.

Mine developed the same wiggle with the wing. What I did to tighten it up is I took the wing off and stuck a 5" strip of Velcro, just the loop side, along the outter edge of the fuse on either side where the wing meets the fuse. The thickness of the Velcro tightens it up just right, and the wing is still easily removed.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:18 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter99 View Post
What kind of range do you guys get out of the Stock receiver? Meaning the BNF receiver, AR600, when paired with the DX6i?
I can't give you any definitive numbers but with that setup you'd lose sight of the aircraft before you'd lose signal.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:20 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
7,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
Mine developed the same wiggle with the wing. What I did to tighten it up is I took the wing off and stuck a 5" strip of Velcro, just the loop side, along the outter edge of the fuse on either side where the wing meets the fuse. The thickness of the Velcro tightens it up just right, and the wing is still easily removed.
phoam, so you;re just making a shim but for tightening up loose areas right?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:44 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,256 Posts
That's right, Velcro shims for lateral wing wobble.

But I would disregard the shims if your wing does not have a wobble.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:48 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
316 Posts
Try that first because i glued wing on pain keep assembling every time out just toss in truck, but now sold truck regret it
beercandan11 is offline Find More Posts by beercandan11
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:55 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
7,887 Posts
@phoam - will check for wobble - i felt a wee bit but it could be my imagination.
@beercandan11 (btw, that name can't get any better) - i can fit a full pz t28 in my trunk (honda) so i guess the full glue is an option although not a preference.

thanks for all the input guys - i tend to be abusive on my maneuvers so this info is very useful.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:18 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
316 Posts
Yeah me too but with wing off can fit 2 planes side by side in trunk
beercandan11 is offline Find More Posts by beercandan11
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:57 AM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,325 Posts
You can use bath caulky to glue the wing. Will hold solid but easy to unglue. Or make a layer and let dry before put the wing with clear silicone
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX