HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:05 AM
Noob
Joined Apr 2011
40 Posts
Thanks for the advice!

I'll move to a 10x10e and see how it feels. It's a nice easy mod.

For the motor upgrade, it's something I already have, so it's not a money issue. It's more about whether moving all the gear from my SuperCub will be worth the effort or not.

The Cub isn't too airworthy at the moment and I have an AXN Cloud Floater on the way, so I likely won't fly the Cub too much anymore and didn't want the motor/esc to go to waste.

I'll try the prop first before anything else.

Thanks again.
Oakstone is offline Find More Posts by Oakstone
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:12 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezilla View Post
could the front end be be filled in with some low expanding foam as a way to make it stronger?

Just a little ranting to help get over the blow.

Thanks
Howard
there still needs to be room for the gear linkage to move. usually the gear gets pushed back into the foam. Many of us have put a piece of ply behind the plastic firewall. Mine has lasted for a couple years. can you post some pics of the damage?

Might need to work on landings a bit, keep some power on.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:24 AM
United States, MI, Plymouth
Joined Jul 2012
23 Posts
robj,

This was 100% pilot error, no doubt about it. being the first flight and not knowing what to expect and all.

I plan on fitting something in behind the firewall, as far as picture I have it glued back together but you can see where the foam on the under side got compressed before it came apart.

Thanks
Bladezilla is offline Find More Posts by Bladezilla
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:53 AM
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
550 Posts
I use the HK 3536 Aerodrive with 2200 mah 25C 3S, standard mount, Durafly 3 blade T-28 prop. At 50% throt. I get 6 min., at 40% on a calm day. 9 min.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakstone View Post
Thanks for the advice!

I'll move to a 10x10e and see how it feels. It's a nice easy mod.

For the motor upgrade, it's something I already have, so it's not a money issue. It's more about whether moving all the gear from my SuperCub will be worth the effort or not.

The Cub isn't too airworthy at the moment and I have an AXN Cloud Floater on the way, so I likely won't fly the Cub too much anymore and didn't want the motor/esc to go to waste.

I'll try the prop first before anything else.

Thanks again.
Bugbitten is offline Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: launch elevator
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezilla View Post
robj,

This was 100% pilot error, no doubt about it. being the first flight and not knowing what to expect and all.

I plan on fitting something in behind the firewall, as far as picture I have it glued back together but you can see where the foam on the under side got compressed before it came apart.

Thanks
I'm just playing around. But the stock nose gear is a known weak point. Landing is something a noob and a expierenced pilot both have to do. I work on getting mine as smooth as possible. It's also the last thing folks see when you are done flying(unless the dreaded take off and no landing flight!).

Compressed belly foam isn't a problem, some cut it away, some patch it. The only things that will see it up close have 6-8 legs!

Also if you have a nose gear problem, and are still at the field, remove it(phillips) and snap off the main gear. The plane looks cool and belly landing are easy(er).
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Jul 2012
23 Posts
Robj,

Didn't take it any other way. I live by the fact that we learn from our mistakes, And from this past flight it looks like I have a lot to learn. LOL.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:11 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,032 Posts
@Bladezilla - I put on Dubro Low Bounce wheels since I already had them on me. May or may not help - just a thought.

PS - you do have to do some bending around of the stock nose gear before these fit. and i modded my main lg with adjustable axles.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined May 2012
83 Posts
Guys, I need some urgent help/advice. I was about to go to my LHS tomorrow and buy a Habu 2, but then realised I have no 4s batteries and they look expensive, so I have a cunning plan!

This is where you come in...

Before I spend 200+ on the Habu2 and the same on batteries, I was thinking of upgrading my trusty Trojan to 4s first and then in a month or two, get the Habu.

So, what do I need to upgrade to 4s, ideally a UK stockist.

A motor, ESC and prop? Power10? Power15 Power25? I'm lost.

PS. This is my LHS, if you can point out what I need, I could be up and running for a flight tomorrow eve.

http://www.totemhobbies.co.uk

Also, could I still run it on my current 3s batteries until I have enough 4s for a few flights?

Thanks in advance!
Boro is offline Find More Posts by Boro
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,221 Posts
A quick check and the habu likes a 3000-3500mah 4s battery. WAYYYY to heavy for this plane IMO. Plus the added weight of the motor.

THe habu 2 sure is a pretty plane. I saw one a while back run on 5s.

Check that, it was the e-flight balsa model...
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:46 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro View Post
Guys, I need some urgent help/advice. I was about to go to my LHS tomorrow and buy a Habu 2 So, what do I need to upgrade to 4s, ideally a UK stockist. A motor, ESC and prop? Power10? Power15 Power25? I'm lost. Thanks in advance!
Boro,

I have a few flights on my 28 and this is where I'm at.

Power 15, 60A ESC, 3300 4S, spinning a 11x7. Does easy mid 80's mph. But you need to do some mods such as: CF rod in wing, wrap the elevator in blenderm, attach the wing with silicone adhesive, upgrade the alerion servos, etc. The added weight really adds to what kind of wind it will take in a positive way. JMO. If you want to go +100 PM me.

Ron
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Jul 2012
23 Posts
Cmdl,

Thanks, I had upgraded the wheels to Dubro 2.50 super lights. They were a bit wide for the stock struts so I used e-flite size 10 adjustable axles, the axle hole where the strut fits in was larger than the strut and even with grinding flats on them and using locktite they still wiggled. I notice when i was pulling everything apart that the front wheel and axle turned 90* on impact. Today while at the Lhs getting the rest of the parts I found some skinnier 2.50 wheels that have the spoke design that fit just fine on some new struts with a couple of spacers an m3 locking nuts.

So as of tonight the front is back on reinforced with toothpicks and carbon rods, caulk was used to fill the cracks and it's all painted. May have to add some tail weight to get my cog right. Should have it up and running tomorrow night.

Thanks
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:51 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Mar 2011
221 Posts
Guys Recently I decided to upgrade my power system on my t28D

Turnigy g25 motor
55amp esc
12x8 prop

After about couple of batteries my plane lost all power to the motor but all servos were still operating. I changed the esc and it worked fine until I was on my second battery same thing came crashing down lost all power to motor servos still operating.

Can't figure out what's going on only thing I can think of is the bigger prop I'm using could be the cause as I have used exactly the same esc and motor before but with a smaller prop

Can any one help please
Force10 is offline Find More Posts by Force10
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:46 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Force10 View Post
Guys Recently I decided to upgrade my power system on my t28D

Turnigy g25 motor
55amp esc
12x8 prop

After about couple of batteries my plane lost all power to the motor but all servos were still operating. I changed the esc and it worked fine until I was on my second battery same thing came crashing down lost all power to motor servos still operating.

Can't figure out what's going on only thing I can think of is the bigger prop I'm using could be the cause as I have used exactly the same esc and motor before but with a smaller prop

Can any one help please
Did you do a wattmeter test? Did you verify what props are rated for that motor. 12x8 are hungry for amps. I think you are pulling more than 55amp. Be sure your prop is for electric. A nitro or gas prop are hevier and pulls more amp.

Wattmeter is a most do every new power setup. You are burning the ESC. i almost sure you are pulling more than 55amp
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:07 PM
United States, PA, Gettysburg
Joined Mar 2011
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
Did you do a wattmeter test? Did you verify what props are rated for that motor. 12x8 are hungry for amps. I think you are pulling more than 55amp. Be sure your prop is for electric. A nitro or gas prop are hevier and pulls more amp.

Wattmeter is a most do every new power setup. You are burning the ESC. i almost sure you are pulling more than 55amp
+1 on this. You definitely need to check your set-up with a watt meter.
jeb6684 is offline Find More Posts by jeb6684
Old Aug 15, 2012, 03:55 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
446 Posts
Hey guys,

I thought you might want to check out my trusty old Trojan. I did this video last weekend. See the description in the video on YouTube for the details.

Cheers

Parkzone Trojan T-28 - Awesome Flying Foamie (5 min 50 sec)
Oatmeal Savage is offline Find More Posts by Oatmeal Savage