HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:22 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,127 Posts
I have floats on a MUS, probably easier to set up on that plane.

The "step" in the float is supposed to be on the CG of the plane.

As far as your mount, you might consider some cross bracing(I used fine SS wire) fore and aft. Landing on water may not always be 100% smooth. maybe a little choppy. bouncy, etc. The only thing keeping yours from racking is the glue on the mount. if you ran a wire from the top of one mount(fuse) to the bottom of the other(float) that would probably secure it enough. Some drop a wire down from the rudder to make a water rudder. I could never get mine to work on the small mus, not enough power to pull it out of the water. If you make one make it very small, you don't need much. It'll steer like a car. but without one on a windy day it can be a chore with only an air rudder. At least it was on my mus.

I love flying on water.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:49 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy1 View Post
I picked up a set of SuperCub floats to put on T-28. I've found several photos of T-28's on floats, but nothing with measurements or mounting location. I'm wondering if anyone has some guidelines I can start with, for mounting these floats. I'd like to mount them in the following manner, as I think this is nice and clean. This will be a dedicated float plane.

The other option, I guess, would be to install them something like this:

http://www.flyrc.com/011206

I don't think it looks as nice, but it would be a little less permanent.
this is really cool, just gotta paint the blue stripes red!
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:52 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
419 Posts
Here is my favorite instructions on float design.

http://www.seminolerc.com/EZ-Float-Design.html

Also I put floats on a T-28 prior to reading that article. I had a successful flight, here is the video:
After that I got more interested and starting researching floats and now I am building a more scale floatplane.
T-28 Trojan by Land & Sea (2 min 44 sec)
GCplane is online now Find More Posts by GCplane
Last edited by GCplane; Aug 08, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:55 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
That's cool. Well done.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:51 PM
MO, USA
Joined Jun 2010
686 Posts
Just to clarify, that isn't my handiwork. I was just looking to those photos and that article for inspiration.
motoguy1 is offline Find More Posts by motoguy1
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:53 PM
Noob
Joined Apr 2011
40 Posts
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my T-28 motor and have seen lots of references to Turnigy 35-36C, Power 10 and others, but I have a Firepower 10 (1050kv) motor from a S-Cub that I upgraded and don't fly anymore.

Will this be a decent upgrade to the T-28? http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...h-10%29/Detail

If it'll work well:

Would I need the aluminum motor mount?
Which prop would you recommend?

Thanks so much! I find the motor/prop/model matching a bit confusing

EDIT: I've also seen the recommendations to just upgrade to a 10x10e prop. That would entail an ESC upgrade too right?

Advantages/Disadvantages of the prop vs. whole motor upgrade would be great!
Oakstone is offline Find More Posts by Oakstone
Last edited by Oakstone; Aug 12, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:22 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,181 Posts
My stock setup have a constant Wot amp al 22amps. And a peak of 26amps. This is for 10x10e. So more than enough the stock ESC.
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:26 PM
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
My stock setup have a constant Wot amp al 22amps. And a peak of 26amps. This is for 10x10e. So more than enough the stock ESC.
Prop mod= only 5 buck mod
Complete mod= lots of money , hevier plane, mod on battery for balancing,

and will endup more or less same speed. Unles yo go eith a power 25 and a 12x 10 prop
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:11 PM
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Jun 2012
85 Posts
I put a 10.5x9 (the prop from a PZ Extra 300) on my otherwise stock T-28 because my LHS didn't have a 10x10e at the time.

I haven't blown up my stock ESC yet with the 10.5x9 after 20 flights or so, but I just picked up a 10x10e and look forward to comparing the two. I'm pretty sure both must push the limits of the stock ESC and motor.
Aerocowboy is offline Find More Posts by Aerocowboy
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:17 PM
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocowboy View Post
I put a 10.5x9 (the prop from a PZ Extra 300) on my otherwise stock T-28 because my LHS didn't have a 10x10e at the time.

I haven't blown up my stock ESC yet with the 10.5x9 after 20 flights or so, but I just picked up a 10x10e and look forward to comparing the two. I'm pretty sure both must push the limits of the stock ESC and motor.
Wierd. Yow will not get close to the limits. I have the extra300 in the past and is the same esc as the trojan only with a bigger motor. 15 size. The trojan is a 480.

I have lots and lots flights with the 10x10 and my power systen not even get hot.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:19 PM
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Jun 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
Wierd. Yow will not get close to the limits. I have the extra300 in the past and is the same esc as the trojan only with a bigger motor. 15 size. The trojan is a 480.

I have lots and lots flights with the 10x10 and my power systen not even get hot.
This is great to hear. I've been a little worried based on the math I did at ecalc.ch.
Aerocowboy is offline Find More Posts by Aerocowboy
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:06 PM
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,181 Posts
Couple of month back i posted the real number of static test. 2 diferent wattmeters one was 22amp full throtle and the other was 24amp. In one of the meters i dot get a peak of 26a but for one second only. That was static, in the air should be less. Talking on the 10x10a.

Stock esc is 30amp with 35amp of burst.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:52 AM
Joined Jan 2012
41 Posts
Does anyone have a prop recommendation for a power 15 with a 40 amp esc?

Running 2200 mha batteries in both 25 and 30 c.

Thanks.

Ken
vlocity is online now Find More Posts by vlocity
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:32 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,571 Posts
Pics

Here are a few pics from this weekend's flight. Over two years old and still kickin! Before you judge my poor plane though...it's the only nose cone that was available at the LHS...but now I kinda like it. It's the perfect detente between the Air Force and the Navy

Russ

P.S. It has the MAS 3-blade prop too.
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:37 AM
United States, MI, Plymouth
Joined Jul 2012
23 Posts
Took it out for it's first flight and mine after moving up from a super cub. started off pretty good, got it trimed in the air and feeling comfortable fying it. here's where it went bad. started my approach for landing and all looked good until it droped to fast and hit the nose gear to hard, next thing I saw was the conapy ejecting and the nose tear off the fusalage. not a single scratch on the prop or the spinner nut so the impact must have been directly to the landing gear. looking at the plane you can see were the foam was compressed behind the gear which acted like a lever and tore off the front of the plane. I have seen post about this about a dozen times in this thread so I gave horizon a call to see what they would do and they said they have not heard about this ever happening before and basicly said sorry about your luck.

I picked up all the peices and started gluing it back together, I reinforced it with toothpicks and some carbon rods. I will fill in any gaps with some paintable silicone caulk and then paint it. may have to add some weight in the tail to get the COG correct again.

could the front end be be filled in with some low expanding foam as a way to make it stronger?

Just a little ranting to help get over the blow.

Thanks
Howard
Bladezilla is offline Find More Posts by Bladezilla