HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:26 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
5,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
Thanks. Check out my pics on the page before this, would love some opinions.
the candy dropper? looks nicely done imo.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:28 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Thanks. Just gotta paint it white to match the rest of the plane works like a dream too.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:12 AM
MO, USA
Joined Jun 2010
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy View Post
these are the ticket: Dubro pin hinges

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD941&P=ML
I've got some of these. In the foam for the T28, would I want to use CA, epoxy, or Gorilla Glue to hold them in?
motoguy1 is offline Find More Posts by motoguy1
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:25 AM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
2,836 Posts
cool, those hinges are solid as a rock... I used thin CA on mine

I sliced the hinges into the back-end of the vertical stab first... dry fit... then did the same for the rudder... dbl checked for alignment then when satisfied, applied thin CA verrry carefully as to not get any on the hinge pin in the center... then wiggled the rudder back and forth for a minute or so until I was sure the CA had set up and the rudder wasn't binding

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy1 View Post
I've got some of these. In the foam for the T28, would I want to use CA, epoxy, or Gorilla Glue to hold them in?
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:17 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Hey guys what do you do to your elevator? The "wrap" has come loose over the months and my elevator jiggles up and down. Doesn't affect flight at all but its kind of a pain. Should I just get a new elevator?
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:49 AM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,598 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys what do you do to your elevator? The "wrap" has come loose over the months and my elevator jiggles up and down. Doesn't affect flight at all but its kind of a pain. Should I just get a new elevator?
I see that I'm just up the road from you, in Herndon near the Chantilly/Tollway intersection.

I assume you're talking about the "skin" of the elevator being pulled away.
You certainly could replace it... Hobby Hangar in Chantilly (www.hobbyhangarva.com) has spare parts for the T-28.

You could also trim the skin away with a sharp knife and use something like scotch packaging tape to make a new skin. I covered my horizontal stabilizer and elevator entirely, with a single layer of the tape, to give it additional strength and impact resistance; without adding much in the way of weight.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I broke my SE-5a
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:22 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Yeah, you hit the nail on the head. Have you by any chance flown at Bles Park? And do you have the USAF T28? I go to hobby hangar all the time. I need a new prop and cowling, but my mom hasn't found time to drive me there yet. Ill probably go this weeken.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,598 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, you hit the nail on the head. Have you by any chance flown at Bles Park? And do you have the USAF T28? I go to hobby hangar all the time. I need a new prop and cowling, but my mom hasn't found time to drive me there yet. Ill probably go this weeken.
I have not flown at Bles Park... I don't even know where it is. I looked on Google Maps. It;s about a 20 minute drive for me. It looks very nice... do they allow flying in that undeveloped area, in the back near the river. I'm off from work today and plan to go to Sterling to get my auto's oil changed. I'll throw the T-28s (big and UM) in the car and checkout the park.

I have the Navy version... as a young Navy Ensign, I was assigned to VT-6, the last Pensacola-area training squadron with T-28s. I was in the ready room in 1983 and watched the last training mission leave the flightline. I flew the T-34C until an injury took me out of the cockpit before training was over.

Most of the time, I fly in a 4-acre field in Herndon, owned by my employer. It's great for Ultra-micros and slow parkflyers but it's almost too small for the T-28 and I'm looking for other spaces.

I also drive out to the Winchester area, where a friend lives in a place called Lake Holiday. The subdivision has made clearings for a golf course but has not built the course. The fairways make for great flying spaces and the lake is wonderful for float planes; but, it's an 80-minute drive.

David
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:38 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Oh ok. I had met a guy there with a USAF T28, thought it might have been you. Have you thought of joining LCAA? We are in leesburg, its about a 20 minute drive. We have a short grass runways (the grass is short, runway is plenty long) and a solar charging station. I have not flown at Bles Park in a while, the undeveploed are is just trees. You couldn't fly there. However, there are two very big soccer ields, I uses to fly my UMX Extra 300 there when my brothe had soccer. You just have to watch out fr the soccer players. I wouldn't fly there except maybe Sunday afternoon.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,598 Posts
Quote:
Have you by any chance flown at Bles Park?
I found Bles park after getting the auto's oil changed... The soccer fields were immaculate.. putting green quality!

I got there just after the thunderstorm passed and as no one was around, I pulled out the T-28 and ran out six batteries. It was a perfect session.

Thank you for letting me know of the park. I'll be dropping by more often, especially when I have a day off during the week or are working evenings.

You can let me know when you might be there, if you want, by emailing me at davidterrell80 --at-- hotmail --dot-- com

David
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:15 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
1,926 Posts
Quote:
LOL! Blenderm is again your answer. I lost two airframes due to the elevator disintegrating. Blendermed the entire thing and it has held up for two years now.
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:06 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
1,814 Posts
Jajaja too much blenderm lately!!! I do found in ebay some hinge blenderm tape. Some claim is DuBro and others claim to be 3M same as DuBro. this is the one i need? Or a real surgical one? I have use in tha pas scoth clear packaging with very good result. In fact i have a homemade 3D flat d-board (corrugated plastic) and scoth are the hinges for more than 2 years with the first apply.

I do try the scotch in my trojan stab but i think the humity damage the sticky side becaise was not very sticky. I got angry and broke it in 10 parts since i ordered a new one few days back.
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:38 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,048 Posts
I think the dubro tape is the 3m tape. all the same.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:58 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcskkrose View Post
LOL! Blenderm is again your answer. I lost two airframes due to the elevator disintegrating. Blendermed the entire thing and it has held up for two years now.
How? Cut off the skin on the hinging?
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:42 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
1,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
Jajaja too much blenderm lately!!! I do found in ebay some hinge blenderm tape. Some claim is DuBro and others claim to be 3M same as DuBro. this is the one i need?
That's the stuff. Go to any isle of your favorite store that sells bandaids. Blendem is a surgical skin tape. $4 for a 5 yard roll, kinda expensive for tape, but works great on foam toy airplanes.

[/QUOTE] I do try the scotch in my trojan stab but i think the humity damage the sticky side becaise was not very sticky. I got angry and broke it in 10 parts since i ordered a new one few days back.[/QUOTE]

Scotch tape gets hard and yellows in the environment over time and don't stick no more. Don't recommend this stuff for any application on a foam plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
I think the dubro tape is the 3m tape. all the same.
Thanks robj. But if you buy this stuff at your LHS you'll pay thru the nose. Go to Wallgreens and save some $$.

Quote:
How? Cut off the skin on the hinging?
No. Just stick this stuff over the existing covering as a reinforcement and your elevator will never disintegrate on you causing you p a i n.
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Last edited by rdcskkrose; Aug 01, 2012 at 07:28 PM.