SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 06, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Aug 2009
103 Posts
motor replacement

Would the Parkzone 15 bolt right up to this bird. I need a replacment motor. I may need to modify the cowl.

Waverunner
Waverunner is offline Find More Posts by Waverunner
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:10 AM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
hi all. beginner here with 4 months of experience on a cub and sensei. i was told by a guy at the lhs that for the t-28, he strongly recommends a radio that has expo rates. he said linear is not advisable. is this true? do beginners tyically use expo rates while starting on the t-28?
The T28 was the first plane I ever flew. Started with a DX5e that came with my Sim then bought the DX6i. Much better TX and had the expo. I started off running 65% throw and 30% expo on low and 85% and 20% on high. It didn't take long to grow out of that though. I like my plane to respond faster. Expo is a good way to start learning and you can adjust it as you go. I'm running 65% and 20% on low and 95% and 10% on high now. You will just have to play with it and see what fits you the best. Everyone is different. Just my .02.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:52 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Oct 2011
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
The T28 was the first plane I ever flew. Started with a DX5e that came with my Sim then bought the DX6i. Much better TX and had the expo. I started off running 65% throw and 30% expo on low and 85% and 20% on high. It didn't take long to grow out of that though. I like my plane to respond faster. Expo is a good way to start learning and you can adjust it as you go. I'm running 65% and 20% on low and 95% and 10% on high now. You will just have to play with it and see what fits you the best. Everyone is different. Just my .02.
You can enable expo on the DX5e by holding right aileron trim and then turning on the transmitter. You'll hear a series of ascending tones indicating that it is on. Turn it off by holding left aileron trim while turning on. The expo is fixed at 20% or so.
rcninja is offline Find More Posts by rcninja
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:13 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
how well does the T28 fly stunts? i want to do knife dge and inverted with it but im worried it wont do well and i will crash it because the throw is not enough.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:14 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverunner View Post
Would the Parkzone 15 bolt right up to this bird. I need a replacment motor. I may need to modify the cowl.

Waverunner
you would have to modify the cowl. just get another 480
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:48 PM
accel8or
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2010
497 Posts
@Waverunner, you can remove the whole grill area, practically, if you want. Best way is a Dremel tool with assorted grinding stones and one cutting wheel. I don't recommend the stock motor mount. Get an aluminum billet motor mount from that guy...uh, Custom RC Parts online.
accel8or is offline Find More Posts by accel8or
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by accel8or; Jun 07, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:54 PM
accel8or
Joined Dec 2010
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
how well does the T28 fly stunts? i want to do knife dge and inverted with it but im worried it wont do well and i will crash it because the throw is not enough.
It all depends on the skill of the pilot flying it and the motor. Mine can't cut it with the stock motor. For knife edge flight, I typically max out the rudder throw....put the control rod clevis on the innermost hole on the rudder control horn. Some people will do the same for the elevator.
Yeah, it will do inverted. A 3ch plane can fly inverted. All depends on pilot skill. But you'll crash. Everybody does. Even the best. I could swear that's how we learn and get better. I do.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: How real is Realflight
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:09 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,521 Posts
I've not had a problem with the stock motor mount, and I put a bigfoot 10 in it. Just had to drill a few holes. Don't nose dive into the ground and it will be okay.

The T28 can do knife edges, but it takes a lot of correction to keep it straight. It's not a 3D plane. But put a bigfoot 10 in it with a 10x7 apc prop, and it's a lot of fun.

Also, you might want to peel the tape back and see how well (or poorly) the wing spar is attached. Mine was terrible, and I heard reports of people folding their wings, so I put some guerralla glue in, though you could probably just use hot glue. I wouldn't recommend the caulk for this aspect. PZ seems to have some sloppy assembly and quality control, at least on the PZ T-28ds I've had--nothing that can't be fixed by the end user, but annoying.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:09 PM
accel8or
Joined Dec 2010
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
hi all. beginner here with 4 months of experience on a cub and sensei. i was told by a guy at the lhs that for the t-28, he strongly recommends a radio that has expo rates. he said linear is not advisable. is this true? do beginners tyically use expo rates while starting on the t-28?
If you can fly a Sensei, you'll do fine. The T28 is a lot more responsive, so set the throws as per the manual. Expo is used even by advanced pilots. Some won't use any expo. These are the low rates I suggest to start off with:

Ailerons: 3/8" up & down, with 30-35% expo (Rate is different from expo. You
decrease the rate to get the 3/8" movement. Rate is also a percentage.)

Elevator: 1/2" up & down, with 10% expo

Rudder: 5/8" left & right, with 10% expo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:12 PM
accel8or
Joined Dec 2010
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
I've not had a problem with the stock motor mount, and I put a bigfoot 10 in it. Just had to drill a few holes. Don't nose dive into the ground and it will be okay.

The T28 can do knife edges, but it takes a lot of correction to keep it straight. It's not a 3D plane. But put a bigfoot 10 in it with a 10x7 apc prop, and it's a lot of fun.
That's right, a knife edge on a T28 takes lots of correction because of the dihedral. It is a trainer, by the way thus the dihedral. The correction is by way of down elevator (for those who are learning). I've got a Himax HC3516-1350 with a 10x7 prop...it'll do walls and hover, but not for long, because of the small control surfaces and insufficient prop wash from the 10x7. Maybe I'll get a spare T28 and mod it with large control surfaces ...yeah a 3D T28.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:20 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,521 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same thing...making a T28 with larger control surfaces and better servos. We think alike. I can get mine to hover, too, but it's not pretty, and has to be high up.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:29 PM
accel8or
Joined Dec 2010
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
I was thinking about doing the same thing...making a T28 with larger control surfaces and better servos. We think alike. I can get mine to hover, too, but it's not pretty, and has to be high up.
Yeah, it'll hover and then pitch up during the prop hang, or yaw either way. Try blipping it when it does that and it'll hover longer. I tried an 11x5.5 but the amp draw got way over the limit. Best thing is a Bigfoot 10 or a G15-850 with at least an 11 prop. Gotta get me that spare T28.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 03:29 PM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcninja View Post
You can enable expo on the DX5e by holding right aileron trim and then turning on the transmitter. You'll hear a series of ascending tones indicating that it is on. Turn it off by holding left aileron trim while turning on. The expo is fixed at 20% or so.
Didn't know that. Thanks.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:24 PM
Capitalist
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Sep 2008
1,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by accel8or View Post
@Waverunner, you can remove the whole grill area, practically, if you want. Best way is a Dremel tool with assorted grinding stones and one cutting wheel. I don't recommend the stock motor mount. Get an aluminum billet motor mount from that guy...uh, Custom RC Parts online.

$12 shipped from me.
They fit the stock replacement, 3536,3542 and 3548
fnlrun is offline Find More Posts by fnlrun
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:26 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by accel8or View Post
If you can fly a Sensei, you'll do fine. The T28 is a lot more responsive, so set the throws as per the manual. Expo is used even by advanced pilots. Some won't use any expo. These are the low rates I suggest to start off with:

Ailerons: 3/8" up & down, with 30-35% expo (Rate is different from expo. You
decrease the rate to get the 3/8" movement. Rate is also a percentage.)

Elevator: 1/2" up & down, with 10% expo

Rudder: 5/8" left & right, with 10% expo
thanks
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl