HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2012, 08:21 AM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
Dax.... trust me here... put the stock prop back on and fly with 4s 2200mah packs. Flew back to back with 3s 10x10e and there is NO comparison. 4s I can knife-edge as long as I want with no, absolutely no... loss of altitude, speed is easy 7-10mph faster, inverted and vertical is SO much better, rolls are faster, and inside loops are a reality. Try it, you'll be hooked.
I think i will do on next trip to the field. Are you motor esc on stock. ?
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 11:58 AM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
I think i will do on next trip to the field. Are you motor esc on stock. ?
Yes, everything is stock but the 4s. Look down in the nose to be sure you have the 30amp esc (which will clearly also say 3-4s lipo). This is easy to see with the canopy open and looking down at the esc. It is the same esc shown a few pages back on this thread. I have the Air Force version T-28, same as you, so should be the exact same.

Both 2200mah 4s packs I have fit perfectly (and snug enough alone) into the unmodified tunnel. You can run a 9x6 prop (with marked inprovement over 3s 10x10), or ideally the stock prop 9.5x7.5... which has marked performance gain over the 9x6 4s. Going from a 4s flight back to 3s 10x10 you REALLY notice how lethargic the plane is on 3s.

We were at a different field last night... my buddy flew his Apprentice, my other buddy flew his Extra300 (both obviously bigger motors than mine, both planes a lot faster than the T-28 stock setup)... I put up the T-28 on 4s, stock prop, and the onlookers were like WOW... that plane is fast!! lol. Of course the sound on 4s is beastly, sounds STRONG. Most all flying last night was full throttle (a lot of wind). Flight times on 9x6, all full throttle are 7mins 30secs, and 9.5x7.5 are only 6mins 10secs full throttle (but well worth it).. coming down at 3.72ish.
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Old May 31, 2012, 12:16 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
1,814 Posts
I have a nano 1800 4s. All of my other 4s are 2650 and 3000. So i will give the 1800 a try. More than enougj for me if i get 5 minutes.
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old May 31, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Lol... I'd go with the 2650's if they fit. But yeah 1800's should do 5 mins. Let me know what ya think after you try it out. I was/am shocked at the difference.

My problem is I do not even want to fly 3s any longer, and only have (2) 4s packs lol.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:38 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,112 Posts
You guys are going to get me in trouble! I have 12 3s 2200's packs I was perfectly happy with. And only 2 4s 2200's for another model that is now deceased. All this talk about 4s and I might have to buy a bunch.

Oh! And if that happens. I'm going to need a place to live. Please send pictures of your flying fields. I'll make my decision based on who has a better flying field.
neck is online now Find More Posts by neck
Old May 31, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neck View Post
You guys are going to get me in trouble! I have 12 3s 2200's packs I was perfectly happy with. And only 2 4s 2200's for another model that is now deceased. All this talk about 4s and I might have to buy a bunch.

Oh! And if that happens. I'm going to need a place to live. Please send pictures of your flying fields. I'll make my decision based on who has a better flying field.
Lol... easy fix... don't try the 4s. Cuz if ya do.... you won't be going back.
Old May 31, 2012, 02:06 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
Lol... easy fix... don't try the 4s. Cuz if ya do.... you won't be going back.

Or you just don't want me to move in.
neck is online now Find More Posts by neck
Old May 31, 2012, 08:34 PM
Timmmaaaahhh!!!
NW Indiana
Joined Mar 2008
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8madness View Post
Yup. I forget the part #, but they're like $5. I replaced mine at lease 3 times before I upgrades motors. Take the set screws out, c clip on the back of the motor, and pull it apart. Hammer or press out the shaft with a vise and a pin with a smaller diameter than the shaft. When you're ready to install the new shaft, oil the shaft and the hole(I use motor oil) so you don't scuff the hole. Use a vise and a socket to push the new shaft in from the back. Don't forget to line up the flat spots for the set screws. Use the bent shaft to give you a rough guide of how far to push the shaft in. In good light you should be able to look in the set screw hole and see the flat spot. Once it's in, replace the screws, put the hub back with the stator, clip the c clip, and you're done!
Thanks, dude!
whitehawk is offline Find More Posts by whitehawk
Old May 31, 2012, 08:51 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Picked up a T28 pnp at the LHS monday, ive flown it 7 times at im loving it i use 2200s and am ready to come down before the plane. great plane!
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 01, 2012, 12:46 AM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
604 Posts
Glad u liked it RC. They are great little planes.

Question... Has anyone ever ran into an ESC that u had to trim the throttle all the way down on to make the motor stop? The one we just put in my dads 28 makes the motor run if u don't have it trimmed down. That's a first for me. It works fine other then that, but its kind of weird.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Jun 01, 2012, 01:59 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
316 Posts
[QUOTE=neck;21762927]You guys are going to get me in trouble! I have 12 3s 2200's packs I was perfectly happy with. And only 2 4s 2200's for another model that is now deceased. All this talk about 4s and I might have to buy a bunch. QUOTE]

just buy a turnigy 3536 1100 kv motor and use your 3 cells and it goes way faster than stock and way more vertical
beercandan11 is offline Find More Posts by beercandan11
Old Jun 01, 2012, 05:51 AM
Timmmaaaahhh!!!
NW Indiana
Joined Mar 2008
502 Posts
[QUOTE=beercandan11;21768925]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neck View Post
You guys are going to get me in trouble! I have 12 3s 2200's packs I was perfectly happy with. And only 2 4s 2200's for another model that is now deceased. All this talk about 4s and I might have to buy a bunch. QUOTE]

just buy a turnigy 3536 1100 kv motor and use your 3 cells and it goes way faster than stock and way more vertical
Will this motor fit w/out any modifications and do you need to upgrade the stock esc?
whitehawk is offline Find More Posts by whitehawk
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:42 AM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
604 Posts
I COULD be wrong, but if I remember correctly you need at least a 40 amp ESC. I think you need a different motor mount or make an adapter for it also. I have a couple adapters at home that work with it. HK says they are discontinued also. Didn't know this till I just went and looked. They have them replaced with a NTM motor.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Jun 01, 2012, 08:18 AM
whiirrrrrr
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Glad u liked it RC. They are great little planes.

Question... Has anyone ever ran into an ESC that u had to trim the throttle all the way down on to make the motor stop? The one we just put in my dads 28 makes the motor run if u don't have it trimmed down. That's a first for me. It works fine other then that, but its kind of weird.
The only thing I could think of is reprogramming the throttle. Where you have your tx on with the throttle stick all the way up, and the trim centered. Then plug in the battery to esc. It should beep a few times, wait 1-2 seconds, then move the throttle stick all the way down. More beeps and it's set.
srt8madness is offline Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Jun 01, 2012, 08:40 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
keep the plane away from the sun

Hi,
I went flying at a different club and ended up getting the plane into the (very bright) sun. when I spotted it again it was 1/2 a meter off the ground in a power dive.....

At this stage I'm not replacing it as I am moving more to glow planes.

The new addition to my hangar will be a 2nd hand Hangar-9 Spitfire 60, with a 91 four-stroke motor...

Maybe one day I'll get another T28, it served me well and was fun to fly.

Brgds,
Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Last edited by Danny_l; Jun 01, 2012 at 09:38 AM.