HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:41 PM
BabyBootLegger
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
Ummm.... yeah lol. It sprayed so crappy I needed 2-3 coats to get a nice even yellow. Worth mentioning.. lots of overspray so not all 2 cans went on the plane lmao. Guess it's a good thing I'm going with a 750watt motor May be real heavy but she sure looks good.

Excellent to know Ron.. same motor basically (SK3 3642) I am getting, but on 5S??!! Likely stick to 4S here. Do you remember the prop and ESC? I am concerned about overamping my 60A plush with too much pitch.
These airbrushes go for inexpensive to very expensive but are excellent for even spray coverage.

http://www.iwata-medea.com/
sunworksco is offline Find More Posts by sunworksco
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:34 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thannamhbfp View Post
No l could have got a new airframe, but with the visibility issues l had with it anyway, decided to use the T-28 which l love to fly anyway.

Did the stock motor mount work ok with the 15? I'm using the Spitfire motor mount which does align up with the PZ screw holes, it just seems very nose heavy.
Quote:
Hopefully someone who has one will come along. I do know it is a direct bolt to the stock mount, but there may be issues with it holding up to the stronger motor, and more heat. Personally, I would get an aluminum stock replacement, available online, before pushing it hard.
I am using the stock motor mount with the Eflite 15. It is heavier but the plane has never gone down and the mount is holding up well to 60 plus flights... everyone with some WOT... or corkscrewing into thin air.
I too have the mentioned aluminum billet mount, but have not gotten to it... I had the motor & mount out as a unit at flight #50 for other repairs and it looked good ~ no sign of stress, so I put it back in. The eflite motor is just a hair long... I mean 1 mm it rubbed the first cowl at high speed only. It had a cut in it from the motor rubbing but you couldn't reproduce the rub on the bench.... I replaced the cowl.($6 painted at the LHS = gotta love PZ)
I modified the new one. I found a 1/4" fender washer fit inside the center flat section. With a bolt attached to the washer, I put the bolt head in the vice so I could pull the cowl away and the washer inside would pull the cowl center out and away from the motor mount area... a little gentle heat with the hairdryer and a gentle pull on the cowl gave me all the extra room I needed for the motor.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:36 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,235 Posts
Weight wise you will notice a difference. I added 15 oz with the power 15 and the 2200mah 4s batteries. ( satellite receiver & BEC included) She still has great slow flying stability but she lands a little faster.
If you already have all the stuff..... it's a no brainer. Build a hot rod T28
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:09 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
2,018 Posts
Quote:
Excellent to know Ron.. same motor basically (SK3 3642) I am getting, but on 5S??!! Likely stick to 4S here. Do you remember the prop and ESC? I am concerned about overamping my 60A plush with too much pitch.
No sorry. To much LSD. But, probably 80A speed controller and something like a 9x7.

I stongly urge everyone thats going to experiment with the drive train to get a watt meter. Saves alot of smoke in the air. Also, blenderm your stab. They will delaminate. Pass it on.

Ron
rdcskkrose is online now Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Last edited by rdcskkrose; Apr 29, 2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:58 PM
Balsa is for doll houses
Texas, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
1,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkseacret View Post
Still waiting for my 6xi to come back . A friend owns a sign shop and hooked me up with come checkers
I found some checkered duct tape at the hardware store , had to go right in my flight bag.
Skrogg is offline Find More Posts by Skrogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Babymetal!
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:00 PM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcskkrose View Post
No sorry. To much LSD. But, probably 80A speed controller and something like a 9x7.

I stongly urge everyone thats going to experiment with the drive train to get a watt meter. Saves alot of smoke in the air. Also, blenderm your stab. They will delaminate. Pass it on.

Ron

LMAO, always will pass it on. Figured Belderm all leading edges with the speed. Will be adding a thick CF rod of course at the wing as you did, and one at the elevator with the tape.

Interesting experience today... as many of you know used 2 cans of Fusion gloss yellow to get my T-28 shiny and looking good. Will be adding blue very soon (under wings.. hopefully with graphics, under tail, upright stab). Yes, some overspray, etc but was worried about using 24oz of paint on the plane. Running currently stock everything, but Dax's 10x10e APC prop. Takeoff on short grass 30', planes flies perfectly (though did have to move surfaces thru full range of motion due to painting to free up fully). Honestly the plane flies faster.. I was expecting s-l-o-w.. but not at all. I would say as fast, but feels 2-3 mph faster now than before painting. Only thing I can think is a smoother surface (wings and body) .. ie.. less drag compared to raw foam to compensate for the added weight??

Only thing flying the T-28 now that would make me think "heavier" is a notably longer roll-out after touchdown.. maybe 10'-20' longer rolls now.

Weird, and not what I expected.
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:14 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,235 Posts
Did you paint it red? Red makes em go faster. LMHO

Watt meter test on the current set up;
Eflite Power 15 950kv 12 pole outrunner
Eflite 60a ESC
4s 2200mah 25-50C
10x5 EMP
10a and 160w at 50% throttle and
42a and 625w at full throttle.
Last edited by scootrb4; Apr 29, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:39 AM
USA, NC, Ayden
Joined Aug 2008
512 Posts
Ok guys, just need to pick your brains further.

I'm having to order some parts for the T-28, like the prop adapter etc..

Also looking at purchasing the Master airscrew 10x7 3 Blade prop, looks like this should work on on the PZ 15 Motor and the 30 amp esc?

Also looking at the dubro 2 3/4 super lite wheels.

Anything else you recommend?
thannamhbfp is online now Find More Posts by thannamhbfp
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:07 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
Thanks, robj. I had to work backwards to find that prop... My mind was telling me I needed more pitch, boy was I pleasantly surprised.
Very impressive speed and thrust from the big motor. The weight yeah, it is what it is... lots of copper makes a good motor, right?
But you have to use that copper correctly. I've got a hacker a30-12xl in a 51" plane. If I put a 10x5 prop on it it's not going to work as well as the 14x7 or 15x6. Same with your p15, you could go 12x6, or maybe 13x6.5 but the gear limits that. At 950kv that's about as big as you can go. The hacker is a 750kv. For grins one day pull the gear and try that 12" prop. Then you'll see what a lots or copper in that p15 can do!!
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:46 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
Joined Nov 2011
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thannamhbfp View Post
Ok guys, just need to pick your brains further.

I'm having to order some parts for the T-28, like the prop adapter etc..

Also looking at purchasing the Master airscrew 10x7 3 Blade prop, looks like this should work on on the PZ 15 Motor and the 30 amp esc?

Also looking at the dubro 2 3/4 super lite wheels.

Anything else you recommend?
I tested the EMP 10x7x3 on the P15 motor with 3s = 360w 32a @ full and 140w at 18a half throttle. It looks like a maximum prop for that motor and esc. The MS prop may pull less amps.

I ran a 10x6x3 GWS too with better battery life... One thing I noticed is no 2 manufacture's blade designs are the same. They vary in width and tip design. All this gives different results. The thinner looking blades will have less drag, pull fewer amps, and pull less air.
Last edited by scootrb4; Apr 30, 2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:19 AM
Capitalist
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Sep 2008
1,903 Posts
If you looking for stock replacement mounts made from Billet Aluminum and Powdercoated I'm blowing them out at $12 each SHIPPED
fnlrun is offline Find More Posts by fnlrun
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:34 AM
United States, AR, Benton
Joined Jul 2007
61 Posts
How does one order a couple of these mounts? I have T-28 and P-47. I have found stock mount to be one of the few weaks points on these planes, especially flying off grass.
JDougherty, Erie is online now Find More Posts by JDougherty, Erie
Last edited by JDougherty, Erie; Apr 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:50 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDougherty, Erie View Post
How does one order a couple of these mounts? I have T-28 and P-47. I have found stock mount to be one of the few weaks points on these planes, especially flying off grass.
usually find some on ebay.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:17 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,611 Posts
I've got a handful of the basic turnigy 2200s I want to use in this plane. It looks like the square foam extension on the underside of the cockpit is interfering with closing it up with the batter rough installed. Anyone else have to trim that portion of foam off the underside of the cockpit to get it to close over a larger battery?
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:29 PM
DFW Texas
Joined Feb 2010
268 Posts
I use the same packs... Yes i had to trim off the longer portion to fit the canopy back on..

I eventually did the battery tray mod you find a few pages back.

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
I've got a handful of the basic turnigy 2200s I want to use in this plane. It looks like the square foam extension on the underside of the cockpit is interfering with closing it up with the batter rough installed. Anyone else have to trim that portion of foam off the underside of the cockpit to get it to close over a larger battery?
JavaScript is offline Find More Posts by JavaScript