HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:58 PM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs_sunil View Post
Depends on how tall is the grass...with stock 1.5 inch wheels, taxing, launching and landing is challenging...the plane tends to topple over that could break the prop, scratch and dent...if the grass is well trimmed like a golf course lawn, it should be manageable. Otherwise remove the landing gear and hand launch it with someone's help. You could tape the bottom of the plane after removing the landing gear to protect it from scratches while landing.

I have replaced the the stock wheels with 2.5 inch Dubro wheels (all 3 wheels) and it works good.

Well put. Those Dubro wheels really make a difference on grass fields. That should be something Parkzone adds factory imo.
+1 on the tape also. I used that 3m packing tape on the belly, wing edges, and nose of my plane. Really helps with the scratch and dings that go along with foam planes.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:46 PM
United States, NE, Arcadia
Joined Jun 2005
134 Posts
Can anyone tell me if an AR600x spektrum receiver would work in this plane? I have one and thought I could save some money and go the PNP route. I use the DX7 tx. Would I have to use an external BEC? What brand of BEC? Sorry, some of this electric stuff confuses me.
Thank You!

Rich

Edit: I think I am looking too deep into this. Guess it already has a BEC.
spencer1 is offline Find More Posts by spencer1
Old Apr 01, 2012, 09:57 PM
United States, CO, Louisville
Joined Jan 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer1 View Post
Can anyone tell me if an AR600x spektrum receiver would work in this plane? I have one and thought I could save some money and go the PNP route.
The BNF version comes with an AR600 receiver - so, yes, that'll work fine. If you go with the PNP, then, all you'll need is a battery and you're good to go!
swlee is offline Find More Posts by swlee
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:28 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,227 Posts
Hey guys, I've got 2 of the stock digital servos for the elevator and rudder that emit an annoying constant beep sound whenever the the model is powered up (maybe 'cause I had plugged in their polarities backwards?), and thus I don't trust 'em.

Would it be worth the effort to get replacements from Horizon? Or should I just swap 'em out for some XT900s I have lying around?
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:15 AM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer1 View Post
Can anyone tell me if an AR600x spektrum receiver would work in this plane? I have one and thought I could save some money and go the PNP route. I use the DX7 tx. Would I have to use an external BEC? What brand of BEC? Sorry, some of this electric stuff confuses me.
Thank You!

Rich

Edit: I think I am looking too deep into this. Guess it already has a BEC.

Like said above the AR600 will work fine. As far as the BEC goes I would recommend this one. http://www.dimensionengineering.com/ParkBEC.htm
Very easy to install and has detailed pictures and instructions included.

I have one of these in my Trojan and have had great experience with it. Lots of people on here run them also, which is where I heard about it in the first place.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:52 AM
Norway, Akershus, Frogner
Joined Jun 2010
920 Posts
As long as that "x" does not mean it's a mirco one then you are fine
Coenraad is offline Find More Posts by Coenraad
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:42 AM
United States, OH, Tipp City
Joined Oct 2011
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
Hey guys, I've got 2 of the stock digital servos for the elevator and rudder that emit an annoying constant beep sound whenever the the model is powered up (maybe 'cause I had plugged in their polarities backwards?), and thus I don't trust 'em.

Would it be worth the effort to get replacements from Horizon? Or should I just swap 'em out for some XT900s I have lying around?
That noise is completely normal.
aero550 is offline Find More Posts by aero550
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:21 AM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
Oh thanks...

I personally have about 50+ flights on my ultra micro P-51, and likely 130 flights on my Beast 3D... both of which I hand launch. Thing is my neighbors have now gotten into RC flight. They got a steal of a deal on a micro P-51 (same as mine), a micro corsair, a parkzone T-28, some big 4-prop blade 40+" wingspan P-51 (never flown), and a champ... with a DX5, and chargers. I am going out with them tomorrow AM to help teach them how to fly. The T-28 I will be putting up and trimming out, but we have only a large grass field. How does this plane come down on a grass landing? My micros lay down easy, or in the case of the Beast bounce to soft rollover with no damage.... the T-28 is a good bit heavier.

Well.... things did not go quite as planned... Went to the field.. clear, 2mph morning... put up my UMP51, then my Beast 3D. My neighbor had come and brought his micro Corsair, and T28.. looking at the corsair it had a failing airleron servo, so we put that away. Now.. he had worked late getting the T28 ready... measured CG, marked battery location, zero'd all surfaces, etc. Figured would be better to maiden it with my DX6i (with expo) instead of his DX5. I know he had swapped receivers, was a Spektrum (AR500)... but it would not bind with my DX6i. He had used a binding plug earlier to bind it to his DX5.. so we went with that. Now.. for my error as someone who has flown before... no true preflight as he was sure all was good. Checked surface movement only myself. Throttled up... started rolling over the grass easy enough (very short grass)... had her about 3/4 throttle. Started pulling up with a little elevator... started rolling gently to the right about 10-15' up... applied a touch left aileron... kept rolling right.. now coming down in knife-edge position.. . still 3/4 throttle... needing to straighten NOW.. pulled near full left aileron... plane rolled sharply right... right into the ground. My neighbor had reversed airleron direction on his TX. Reviewing things the motor is wasted, ESC is ok, plane is patched up with hotglue and CA.

Now... local LHS has a motor.. saying it is a power 10.. for $49.00 (which seems cheap). Prop that was on it is a 9.5x7.5 (needs new prop too). I need some tips everyone pls. Reading through some of this thread is the power10 ok to use with the stock esc? ... and with what prop?. I hear it is heavier, we are flying in a short grass field.. and I cannot convince him to go hand launch and belly land. Will we have more a problem landing than taking off? What tips or things should I know before putting this plane up again? My experience may be 150+ flights with no crashes til now, but all have been on micros... nothing as big as the T28. And lol lastly... I put his plane in the ground once (though not really my fault, except for the no prefight to double check), but I really do not want to wreck it again.

Oh.. and is it normal to have to use a binding plug to bind my 6i to that receiver?

Thanks everyone.
Ray
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Last edited by dragonshade; Apr 02, 2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:30 AM
Mile High Pilot
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Well.... things did not go quite as planned... Went to the field.. clear, 2mph morning... put up my UMP51, then my Beast 3D. My neighbor had come and brought his micro Corsair, and T28.. looking at the corsair it had a failing airleron servo, so we put that away. Now.. he had worked late getting the T28 ready... measured CG, marked battery location, zero'd all surfaces, etc. Figured would be better to maiden it with my DX6i (with expo) instead of his DX5. I know he had swapped receivers, was a Spektrum (AR500)... but it would not bind with my DX6i. He had used a binding plug earlier to bind it to his DX5.. so we went with that. Now.. for my error as someone who has flown before... no true preflight as he was sure all was good. Checked surface movement only myself. Throttled up... started rolling over the grass easy enough (very short grass)... had her about 3/4 throttle. Started pulling up with a little elevator... started rolling gently to the right about 10-15' up... applied a touch left aileron... kept rolling right.. now coming down in knife-edge position.. . still 3/4 throttle... needing to straighten NOW.. pulled near full left aileron... plane rolled sharply right... right into the ground. My neighbor had reversed airleron direction on his TX. Reviewing things the motor is wasted, ESC is ok, plane is patched up with hotglue and CA.

Now... local LHS has a motor.. saying it is a power 10.. for $49.00 (which seems cheap). Prop that was on it is a 9.5x7.5 (needs new prop too). I need some tips everyone pls. Reading through some of this thread is the power10 ok to use with the stock esc? ... and with what prop?. I hear it is heavier, we are flying in a short grass field.. and I cannot convince him to go hand launch and belly land. Will we have more a problem landing than taking off. What tips or things should I know before putting this plane up again? My experience may be 150+ flights with no crashes til now, but all have been on micros... nothing as big as the T28. And lol lastly... I put his plane in the ground once (though not really my fault, except for the no prefight to double check), but I really do not want to wreck it again.

Oh.. and is it normal to have to use a binding plug to bind my 6i to that receiver?

Thanks everyone.
Ray
Others may have differing experiences, but I would NOT put a Power 10 on the stock ESC. Its a 30A esc, and probably not beefy enough to handle the Power 10 for any length of time at WOT.

The Power 10 will make the T-28 a LOT faster, even with a fairly conservative prop - could be a problem for a new pilot just learning the T-28. It is also heavier than the stock motor, which will mean you will need more speed to land it - although I have to say that since I put the Power 10 on mine, my landings have gotten a LOT better... maybe because it is not as floaty on final.

You say the motor is wasted... what happened to it? For what it is worth, my stinson motor (same motor) wound up with the bell separating from the back... I thought it was a goner, but managed to fix it, and it is still flying (probably 50 flights later)

If you do put the Power 10 on it, I would say you need at LEAST a 40A esc, and I wish I had put an even bigger one on mine.
milehighjc is offline Find More Posts by milehighjc
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:32 AM
United States, CA, Visalia
Joined Dec 2011
10 Posts
I have had the same thing happen. I don't understand what happened either. Full power and nothing. Full up elevator and nothing.
rsbabcock is offline Find More Posts by rsbabcock
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:37 AM
Balsa is for doll houses
Texas, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
1,647 Posts
I put 4 flights on my T-28 over the weekend.. the 2 flights on Saturday were awesome.. I flew in a large parking lot on Sunday and it was a little windy but nothing the t-28 couldn't handle.
I had it set up with flaperons and for the life of me couldn't get it slowed down enough to grease the landing. Is there a good way to slow the T-28 down? I'm thinking I need to add flaps because the flaperons didn't do much.
Skrogg is offline Find More Posts by Skrogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Babymetal!
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:39 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,122 Posts
Quote:

Thanks everyone.
Ray
You have to use the binding plug to bind a Rx to any Tx.

The P10 is only 1oz heavier(move the battery back a bit) and is a much better motor. More effecient, larger stronger 5mm shaft. Very durable. I think some said it will bolt right up. I made my own mount so can't say for sure.

With the stock prop you might be ok with the stock esc. You could prop down a bit. But if you plan on hanging around this hobby long, you need a Watts Up meter. It'll tell you exactly what you are pulling.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:24 PM
Mile High Pilot
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
You have to use the binding plug to bind a Rx to any Tx.

The P10 is only 1oz heavier(move the battery back a bit) and is a much better motor. More effecient, larger stronger 5mm shaft. Very durable. I think some said it will bolt right up. I made my own mount so can't say for sure.

With the stock prop you might be ok with the stock esc. You could prop down a bit. But if you plan on hanging around this hobby long, you need a Watts Up meter. It'll tell you exactly what you are pulling.
It does bolt right up... Im still using the stock mount (although concerned that I could break it, apparently even the newer PZ ones are a bit stronger than the original stock).

Good point on the 1oz heavier - In my case, my trojan was probably a little nose heavy already (LOTS of glue). Im going to have to fashion a new battery tray and cut some foam off the base of the canopy so that I can get it far enough back to balance (it still flies ok tho, its very tolerant).

I still also need to get my watt meter, but for what its worth, I did get a test with mine with a borrowed meter. I was pulling 48A static (10x10 prop tho, which was extreme, and has since been replaced with a 10x7).

Dont misread my comments about the Power 10 - I am a HUGE fan. It really brought my T-28 to life - my only comment is that if he can make the stocker run again for a little while, his buddy may find it easier to learn to fly it than with the Power 10 bolted up.
milehighjc is offline Find More Posts by milehighjc
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:03 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,122 Posts
A 10x5 is a nice easy prop to start with for the P10. I think I even ran a 9x7.5 that I use on a mUS with floats. Prolly low amps, power not there but still flys just fine.

At $50 and in stock(!), it's a good deal because the stock motor is close to that price.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:52 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Like said above the AR600 will work fine. As far as the BEC goes I would recommend this one. http://www.dimensionengineering.com/ParkBEC.htm
Very easy to install and has detailed pictures and instructions included.

I have one of these in my Trojan and have had great experience with it. Lots of people on here run them also, which is where I heard about it in the first place.
Does the red wire need to be cut when using this BEC?
Left Coast DJ is online now Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ