HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:16 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,048 Posts
How many have actually put their plane on some sticks. This is from a few years back. If I recall, stock battery in recommented location. The revised CG location...2.5" back 1" out if I recall. The picture name has the setup. Note the lead weights. they are 1/4" oz for each square.

Rob
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:00 PM
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Battery Tray (my cog)

I took a note from one of the posts earlier on in this thread on a battery tray to better fasten the LiPo during flight. The tray is 1/8" plywood with two slots dremeled out to accommodate the velco strap (which is adjustable) that holds the LiPo in place. The tray trimmed and epoxied. Whole process took about 30 minutes, minus the epoxy cure time.

This setup helps me keep my COG on balance with my 15 sized motor. It works very well!
Alpha_Geist is offline Find More Posts by Alpha_Geist
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:13 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi Robj,
I certainly checked the CG with my batteries, then made a mark where the battery must be placed to get a neutral CG.
my batteries are retained by means of velcro that is glued to the fuselage and (the oposite side) to the battery , and a velcro strap to keep the battery from moving when I throw the plane into rolls, loops etc.

Unless I change to a different type of battery / motor (or major repairs) I don't need to re-balance the plane.

BTW, there are many makes of batteries in the market, and often batteries that have the same specs in terms of capacity and discharge rates will have different dimensions. this is why each person should check the CG with his batteries.

Brgds,

Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:09 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_l View Post
Hi Dax,
I know that you were joking, but the chances that an inexperienced person will try to fly a new (or 2nd hand) plane without checking the CG are such that I'd refrain from statements like that, it's just not worth it.

Brgds,

Danny
This entire thread is full of mis information. CG is all relative to a lot of different factors. Honestly in the end the pilot should do his best to check his CG and use threads like this as a baseline.
Plus some RC people should just lighten up.
neck is online now Find More Posts by neck
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:17 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
1,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Geist View Post
I took a note from one of the posts earlier on in this thread on a battery tray to better fasten the LiPo during flight. The tray is 1/8" plywood with two slots dremeled out to accommodate the velco strap (which is adjustable) that holds the LiPo in place. The tray trimmed and epoxied. Whole process took about 30 minutes, minus the epoxy cure time.

This setup helps me keep my COG on balance with my 15 sized motor. It works very well!
I also breachload my battery. Use the battery strap out of a Corsair cemented in to keep it in place.

I'm packin a 3300 4S pushin a Power 15 and slam the battery all the way forward. Flies great right side and upside down?

Ron
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:56 PM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
First time flying this plane... flying off a grass field, and not sure it will be able to take off in the grass on the wheels... can the T-28 be hand launched?
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:59 PM
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcskkrose View Post
I also breachload my battery. Use the battery strap out of a Corsair cemented in to keep it in place.

I'm packin a 3300 4S pushin a Power 15 and slam the battery all the way forward. Flies great right side and upside down?

Ron
I like having my battery breachloaded. It makes installing and removing the battery so much easier. I wasn't too thrilled with shoving my battery all the way up front in the foam bat compartment. My LiPo's were too big and I would have to carve out some foam just to fit. So I went with the plywood tray.

After doing lots of loops, rolls, inverted stalls and just "plane" aerial shenanigans, the battery stays in place and doesn't shift from its strapped position.

Even with my battery far back on the tray, my T-28 is slightly nose heavy (without trim), but I'm fine with that. Hmm, maybe a +3000 mAh Lipo might fix that.
Alpha_Geist is offline Find More Posts by Alpha_Geist
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:07 AM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
First time flying this plane... flying off a grass field, and not sure it will be able to take off in the grass on the wheels... can the T-28 be hand launched?
Absolutely.. : ) Before I got my 2 1/2 inch wheels for mine I had to hand launch it because the fields grass was too thick for it to take off. Have someone or yourself if your good like that, hold it at a slight up angle and give her throttle and throw. You don't necessarily need full throttle, but will need a good bit. Only problem I ever had was one time I let my dad throw it and we didn't notice the little tree out in front of it until he had already threw it. lol I hammered the throttle and managed to pull it out, but it was too close for comfort if you know what I mean. Good luck flying it. You will absolutely love it.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:00 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
1,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Geist View Post
I like having my battery breachloaded. It makes installing and removing the battery so much easier. I wasn't too thrilled with shoving my battery all the way up front in the foam bat compartment.
I fly with a buddy that cuts the top bridge over the battery channel out and fills the floor with velcro and a strap.

To fit my 3300 4S I did have to open up the battery channel some.

I made mine a breechloader after the first few flights. Did not like the stock situation.

Ron
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:14 PM
Mile High Pilot
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
My T-28 crossed the 300 flight milestone today... It has an incredible amount of Gorilla Glue holding it together, it doesnt look all that great (although the comment at the field today was that it looked pretty darn good for its age/miles).

Im amazed how much abuse it has taken, and how well it still flies. It is STILL a grin machine! (especially since the power upgrade)

jc
milehighjc is offline Find More Posts by milehighjc
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:17 PM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
605 Posts
Gorilla Glue is some great stuff. Problem around here is the white kind is getting hard to find. They have plenty of the brown kind but that looks a little weird on a white plane. lol
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:26 PM
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
512 Posts
Amazon.com has white
Bugbitten is online now Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: launch elevator
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:32 PM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Absolutely.. : ) Before I got my 2 1/2 inch wheels for mine I had to hand launch it because the fields grass was too thick for it to take off. Have someone or yourself if your good like that, hold it at a slight up angle and give her throttle and throw. You don't necessarily need full throttle, but will need a good bit. Only problem I ever had was one time I let my dad throw it and we didn't notice the little tree out in front of it until he had already threw it. lol I hammered the throttle and managed to pull it out, but it was too close for comfort if you know what I mean. Good luck flying it. You will absolutely love it.

Oh thanks...

I personally have about 50+ flights on my ultra micro P-51, and likely 130 flights on my Beast 3D... both of which I hand launch. Thing is my neighbors have now gotten into RC flight. They got a steal of a deal on a micro P-51 (same as mine), a micro corsair, a parkzone T-28, some big 4-prop blade 40+" wingspan P-51 (never flown), and a champ... with a DX5, and chargers. I am going out with them tomorrow AM to help teach them how to fly. The T-28 I will be putting up and trimming out, but we have only a large grass field. How does this plane come down on a grass landing? My micros lay down easy, or in the case of the Beast bounce to soft rollover with no damage.... the T-28 is a good bit heavier.
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:25 AM
Free crash course available!!!
United States, NJ, Mahwah
Joined Oct 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
Oh thanks...

The T-28 I will be putting up and trimming out, but we have only a large grass field. How does this plane come down on a grass landing? My micros lay down easy, or in the case of the Beast bounce to soft rollover with no damage.... the T-28 is a good bit heavier.
Depends on how tall is the grass...with stock 1.5 inch wheels, taxing, launching and landing is challenging...the plane tends to topple over that could break the prop, scratch and dent...if the grass is well trimmed like a golf course lawn, it should be manageable. Otherwise remove the landing gear and hand launch it with someone's help. You could tape the bottom of the plane after removing the landing gear to protect it from scratches while landing.

I have replaced the the stock wheels with 2.5 inch Dubro wheels (all 3 wheels) and it works good.
bs_sunil is offline Find More Posts by bs_sunil
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
I had to toss in my .02 here ... I had this plane several years ago, probably around 2008. LOVED IT. It survived a handful of crashes, but mostly just flew beyooootifully.

One time, I flew it into a tree about 30ft off the ground. No damage on impact, but I could not get it down. Finally realized I wasn't going to get it down in one piece, and decided I need to get the battery and the other electronics out. For future projects, and so that it didn't like catch on fire or something! I started chucking rocks at it and eventually got it to come down face first on the asphalt. Oh well, thanks for indulging my little reminiscing.

I'm getting back into the hobby now, and somehow missed that this plane is still very much on the market. I ordered an FMS Flight Trainer 400 (Cessna) instead. Looking forward to the new plane!
ShermanFolks is offline Find More Posts by ShermanFolks