Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:25 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bluhammer's Avatar
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,883 Posts
PZ T-28D Trojan Maiden

Here's my 4th of July T-28D maiden flight video including heavy nervous breathing! Watch in full screen HD if you can.
Blu

PZ T-28D Trojan maiden flight July 4th 2011 by Bluhammer (8 min 4 sec)
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:33 AM
Registered User
Buzzkill2's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
What about speed and what ESC are you using ?

Was it a pain to mount motor?
Ic memory serves me right I have a 60a esc in it. Speed has never been clocked using radar gun. Id say around 80 maybe faster. Admitadly, the amps are higher than 60 @ wot but, its a good esc and can handle it.

Mounting was super easy.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:41 AM
RC keeps me sane
microDan's Avatar
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,315 Posts
It started out soooo nice. A longer more gentle landing approach next time. Nice flight though. It happens to all of us, it'll fly again.
microDan is online now Find More Posts by microDan
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2011, 09:48 AM
Registered User
cwilde's Avatar
Joined Oct 2007
56 Posts
Hey Blu,

We've all been there. It looks like all your damage is fixable with a little epoxy. My Trojan has gone though the same kind of damage and came out of the hospital good as new.

You were flying at a lower altitude than I am normally comfortable with. I like to go high and fast. Looks like your crash was a tip stall on a low powered landing approach, but it was hard to tell from the video.

C
cwilde is offline Find More Posts by cwilde
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:12 AM
Registered User
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
540 Posts
Maidened my T-28 yesterday. Had a couple of buddies giving advice over my shoulder. Best advice, "Get it higher".

My first aileron plane. Turns are sure different. I thought I was going to turn it right into the ground a couple of times.

Kept it high and half throttle and had an 8 minute flight.

Long, easy throttle, landing on the wheels on grass.

Second battery climbed even higher and tried some rolls and then a loop.

This is a fun plane to fly.
Bugbitten is online now Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: launch elevator
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:47 AM
Registered User
gpraceman's Avatar
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Nov 2010
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Here's my 4th of July T-28D maiden flight video including heavy nervous breathing! Watch in full screen HD if you can.
Had that happen to me not once, but twice, unfortunately. It is very repairable, though. Some epoxy or E6000 to glue her back together. Use a few tooth picks as added reinforcement. I like the E6000 glue, since it remains a bit flexible. My LHS had a spare cowling and the control rods, which I needed on the first rebuild.
gpraceman is offline Find More Posts by gpraceman
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2011, 11:20 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,184 Posts
Cool

Would it fit stock mount or a stock configuration metal mount?




Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzkill2 View Post
Ic memory serves me right I have a 60a esc in it. Speed has never been clocked using radar gun. Id say around 80 maybe faster. Admitadly, the amps are higher than 60 @ wot but, its a good esc and can handle it.

Mounting was super easy.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2011, 11:24 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2007
132 Posts
Suggestions

Hey All,

First I have not read all 1400 pages, did that (300) in the UM T-28 thread and don't have time to do it again, so please forgive me if my question is redundant.

New to RC and have had a UM T-28 with stock controller for a few months now, that's it. Want to get the PNP Navy T-28 (my wife was Navy so she's Very supportive!). I'm on a budget, but don't mind spending a little extra for quality. So the question is.....Should I buy a new DX6i (7&8 are not an option) with receiver, a good battery and charger and go give it a whirl, or should I try to save some money, keep an eye out on the classifieds for a used 6i, get a cheap Hobby King receiver (not sure which one, I just see them mentioned a lot on the forums), and get a good battery and charger?

Seems like a good battery can make a big difference, and you might as well have a good charger so as not to ruin said battery. I'm not against used radios, but I travel for work and have a two year old, so finding time to find one that has not already sold is difficult. All opinions welcome....Thanks for the help.
highnpressurized is offline Find More Posts by highnpressurized
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2011, 11:54 AM
Registered User
gpraceman's Avatar
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Nov 2010
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highnpressurized View Post
So the question is.....Should I buy a new DX6i (7&8 are not an option) with receiver, a good battery and charger and go give it a whirl, or should I try to save some money, keep an eye out on the classifieds for a used 6i, get a cheap Hobby King receiver (not sure which one, I just see them mentioned a lot on the forums), and get a good battery and charger?

Seems like a good battery can make a big difference, and you might as well have a good charger so as not to ruin said battery. I'm not against used radios, but I travel for work and have a two year old, so finding time to find one that has not already sold is difficult. All opinions welcome....Thanks for the help.
A DX6i is a good radio to start with. Add in a neck strap.

I had problems with the cheapo receivers and believe they led to two crashes, so I went with the Spektrum receivers (AR6115E) and haven't had any problems with them.

HobbyPartz.com has some good pricing on batteries. They are in the US and shipping is free for orders over $25, which makes it even better. I have a handful of the BlueLipo 3S 2200mAh batteries and they have done well so far.

On the battery charger, you can get a decent one for around $50 to $60. Make sure to get one that comes with an AC power cord or AC power adapter.

Along with the batteries and charger, get yourself a Lipo-Safe bag for charging the batteries in.

Also, if you don't already have a SIM, I highly recommend that you get one. It really helps with orientations, landings and practicing various stunts.
gpraceman is offline Find More Posts by gpraceman
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2011, 12:03 PM
Registered User
FJK_12's Avatar
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Mar 2010
139 Posts
Bluhammer: Fly higher!!!
FJK_12 is offline Find More Posts by FJK_12
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2011, 12:12 PM
Don't Midair Me, Bro!
split_s's Avatar
USA, IN, Auburn
Joined Jun 2010
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Here's my 4th of July T-28D maiden flight video including heavy nervous breathing! Watch in full screen HD if you can.
Blu
That looks all too familiar, Blu. Unfortunately I've done the same thing a few times. I usually just buy a new fuse instead of trying to fix it. I've had a lot better luck with the Navy version - so far.
split_s is online now Find More Posts by split_s
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2011, 12:25 PM
Mile High Pilot
milehighjc's Avatar
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
Blu,
Were you going downwind when you started that last turn? I suspect so, its REALLY easy to want to keep backing off the throttle on the downwind leg - plane looks like its going fast (GROUNDSPEED), but the AIRSPEED isnt as fast as you think. When you start to roll into the turn (especially if you are not adding a little rudder in to), its easy to stall the wing, and down she goes. I know this becuase... yep, did it too.

The good news is that the damage is VERY repairable. You will see all kinds of recommendations, Im a big fan of white gorilla glue. It expands to fill any voids you might have. To re-attach the nose to the fuse, use some toothpicks and 5 min epoxy (on the toothpicks). I've busted mine off twice, the repairs are stronger than the foam itself. Put some blue painters tape over outside of the fuse over the GG repairs - it holds the GG inside the joint. When its dry, just peel the painters tape away, sand or trim with a xacto if necessary, and paint with acrylic as necessary. For the dark blue, I've stolen a little of my wife's Cobalt Blue and Black Acrylic, mixed them to match, and you cant tell its been painted. (the blue painters tape WILL peel the paint away, but dont let that stop you).

BTW, the decals will re-adhere just fine if you peel them back carefully.

Sounded like you might have been adjusting trim quite a bit during the flight... you MIGHT have had the CG off a bit (think I heard you say tail heavy). If it was a lot of trim, you should have a look to make sure that the CG is where it is supposed to be (adjust by moving battery), and/or your control surfaces are all MECHANICALLY neutral with the RX and TX powered up (and the trim at neutral as well of course).

Good luck, you should be able to have it back up in the air again in no time.

JC
milehighjc is offline Find More Posts by milehighjc
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2011, 01:04 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2007
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
Also, if you don't already have a SIM, I highly recommend that you get one. It really helps with orientations, landings and practicing various stunts.
Thanks for the advice. The UM-T-28 is pretty much my sim. I'm pretty confident with orientation and such, even very basic aerobatics. I think the larger T-28 will be my last plane. Same thing happened with micro helis. I got an MCX and then wanted something single rotor with outdoor capabilities. Along came the 120SR. Had it for a year now and have no desire to move on. I just want a little bigger airplane that handles easy enough for a newb like me to grow with. Not interested in doing much more than goofing around in the park by my house.

However, now that I've told you I don't need or want a sim....is there one that works on Mac? A guy can change his mind, right?
highnpressurized is offline Find More Posts by highnpressurized
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2011, 01:14 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bluhammer's Avatar
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighjc View Post
Blu,
Were you going downwind when you started that last turn? I suspect so, its REALLY easy to want to keep backing off the throttle on the downwind leg - plane looks like its going fast (GROUNDSPEED), but the AIRSPEED isnt as fast as you think. When you start to roll into the turn (especially if you are not adding a little rudder in to), its easy to stall the wing, and down she goes. I know this becuase... yep, did it too.

The good news is that the damage is VERY repairable. You will see all kinds of recommendations, Im a big fan of white gorilla glue. It expands to fill any voids you might have. To re-attach the nose to the fuse, use some toothpicks and 5 min epoxy (on the toothpicks). I've busted mine off twice, the repairs are stronger than the foam itself. Put some blue painters tape over outside of the fuse over the GG repairs - it holds the GG inside the joint. When its dry, just peel the painters tape away, sand or trim with a xacto if necessary, and paint with acrylic as necessary. For the dark blue, I've stolen a little of my wife's Cobalt Blue and Black Acrylic, mixed them to match, and you cant tell its been painted. (the blue painters tape WILL peel the paint away, but dont let that stop you).

BTW, the decals will re-adhere just fine if you peel them back carefully.

Sounded like you might have been adjusting trim quite a bit during the flight... you MIGHT have had the CG off a bit (think I heard you say tail heavy). If it was a lot of trim, you should have a look to make sure that the CG is where it is supposed to be (adjust by moving battery), and/or your control surfaces are all MECHANICALLY neutral with the RX and TX powered up (and the trim at neutral as well of course).

Good luck, you should be able to have it back up in the air again in no time.

JC
Thanks for the good advice. I'm taking it slow but so far the main part of the fuse is repaired and looks pretty good. Next I'll be re-attaching the broken off nose section. A great idea that worked pretty well was dipping the compressed foam damage in hot water off from a boil. Tip came from you guys! So far I'm using Med gap filling foam safe CA. I will reinforce some areas with hot glue and Arleens tacky glue. Can someone look at their rudder servo and tell me what hole the front wheel clevis attaches to? Most of the guts were yanked out from the crash.

Last thing, Yes I was going down wind and I agree it looked like a tip stall as I was to low and slow. I'm so use to flinging UM's around I didn't realize what I was dealing with. I sure learned some lessons. Also I said belly landing which is hard to do with gear on. I was just really nervous.

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2011, 01:26 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Here's my 4th of July T-28D maiden flight video including heavy nervous breathing! Watch in full screen HD if you can.
Blu
Tough crash Blue. Looks fixable. Hang in there.
asosestrom is online now Find More Posts by asosestrom
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article ParkZone T-28 Trojan RTF Review Jim Walker Electric Warbirds 858 Jul 04, 2014 02:24 AM
Official Parkzone P-51 Owners Thread - Part 2 monitor Parkflyers 2602 Jun 15, 2014 04:51 PM
Discussion Parkzone T-28 Trojan Thread Edge767 Parkflyers 6527 Jun 04, 2008 05:29 AM
Sold Parkzone T-28 Trojan, 480 960kv Motors (2) Joe in Dublin Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 4 Jan 17, 2008 01:34 PM
Wanted Parkzone T-28 Trojan webejpn01 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Oct 25, 2007 02:48 PM