SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 03, 2011, 07:33 PM
Noob
Joined Apr 2011
40 Posts
Heya!

I've been lurking for a while, but today's a good time for a 1st post.

I flew a SC on lipo for about a year and decided I was ready for a T28. I trimmed/balanced it at home (it was slightly nose heavy with 2200's) and waited for a calm day.

Today was the maiden and I had a crash. It was one of those "Out of sight behind a building" type things, so I thought the plane was a write off for sure. Luckily, I only had some minor damage and the glue is drying right now.

Once I get it back in one piece, I'll be heading out to try again, but I wanted to ask a question or two about the flight behavior before I go.

I accidentally set the clevises on max, rather than min (duh!) and was having some major porpoising whenever I touched the elevator. Even the slightest touch shot the nose in the air. Could there be more going on than just too much throw?

Second, when I was trying to regain control before the crash, I was stalling. How much throttle do you guys fly with for cruising? I was at about 50% and am wondering if I didn't have enough airspeed.

Anywhoo, thanks in advance for any suggestions or input you might have.
Oakstone is offline Find More Posts by Oakstone
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:56 PM
cjg
"Pull up, pull up!"
Vermillion, SD
Joined Jan 2006
454 Posts
50% cruise is about minimum and could lead to stalls when you nose up. 60% will give a bit more speed without being too fast.

I transitioned from a SC to the T-28. Stay with it, have a BIG field to fly, and take it easy at first (low control rates).

I find changing the center of gravity by moving the battery forward and back even a slight bit changes the flight characteristics. I wonder of you are tail heavy - that could be the cause of the porpoising. Try sliding the battery forward another 1/2 inch or so - a bit nose heavy is easier to control that a bit tail heavy.

If you can rig up something to check center of gravity, do so. The proper cog is published for the T-28, but don't have it at my fingertips.
cjg is offline Find More Posts by cjg
Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:01 PM
Joined Mar 2010
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakstone View Post
Heya!

I've been lurking for a while, but today's a good time for a 1st post.

I flew a SC on lipo for about a year and decided I was ready for a T28. I trimmed/balanced it at home (it was slightly nose heavy with 2200's) and waited for a calm day.

Today was the maiden and I had a crash. It was one of those "Out of sight behind a building" type things, so I thought the plane was a write off for sure. Luckily, I only had some minor damage and the glue is drying right now.

Once I get it back in one piece, I'll be heading out to try again, but I wanted to ask a question or two about the flight behavior before I go.

I accidentally set the clevises on max, rather than min (duh!) and was having some major porpoising whenever I touched the elevator. Even the slightest touch shot the nose in the air. Could there be more going on than just too much throw?

Second, when I was trying to regain control before the crash, I was stalling. How much throttle do you guys fly with for cruising? I was at about 50% and am wondering if I didn't have enough airspeed.

Anywhoo, thanks in advance for any suggestions or input you might have.
If you had the elevator at max, you had WAAAAY too much throw. The elevator is the most sensitive control on this plane. I strongly recommend you set it like the owner's manual recommends.

I don't think you have anything more complicated than that going on. The SC elevator is practically non-existent compared to the T-28's.

I will use about 60% power for a reasonalbe cruise.

Remember that you can roll this plane inverted, which is practically impossible to do with the SC. Set the bank, aileron to neutral, then pull around with the elevator. A little different than the SC which uses rudder only to turn.

Have fun. The T-28 is the next step up. Many of us, including me, went SC to T-28.
SubManEric is offline Find More Posts by SubManEric
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:57 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
The Turnigy navi lights are just barely enough to fly by.... I managed though.

T-28 sport night fly (1 min 59 sec)
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old Apr 03, 2011, 11:58 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Dec 2010
157 Posts
T-28 Blue Paint Match

Anyone have a paint match for the blue on the bird? I tried mixing but it came out too grey looking.

thanks
ronhawker is offline Find More Posts by ronhawker
Old Apr 04, 2011, 12:11 AM
Noob
Joined Apr 2011
40 Posts
Thanks so much for the replies!

I figured it was just a silly oversight that I set the throws at max rather than min. I was being so careful to get everything else set up that I just looked at em backwards I guess.

I appreciate the encouragement. I read a lot about the T28 being a great step up from the SC. I will definitely stick with it.

I'll also give 60%'ish a go for cruising throttle.

Cheers!
Old Apr 04, 2011, 01:07 AM
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Oct 2010
80 Posts
Just figured I'd share my latest creation. This is technically my third t-28, it has parts from the corpses of my other two t-28's. Not only did I do a full paint job, I upgraded the power system to a G10(from value hobby), 40a esc, and a 10x7e prop. Haven't had a chance to fly it yet, but it looks like it will have a lot more power than stock. Let me know what you think.

NerdOfDarkness is offline Find More Posts by NerdOfDarkness
Old Apr 04, 2011, 03:00 PM
United States, IL, Elgin
Joined Mar 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdyvie View Post
4S 35C 3000mah here. But I also use an upgraded motor and an 80A ESC. 950W of pure flying pleasure... Puts a grin on my face every time I am up to about 250 flights on this T-28, my second.
Someone walking his dog in the woods found an ICE HV 80 near the RC field and gave it to me. It is rated for 12S 50V max. I wonder what a T-28 would do with 4000 watts. Probably rip the nose off in flight like Glacier Girl

I just did a minor upgrade with Park 480 1020 kv in T-28 PNP (using black motor mount from Ebay) with everything else stock including prop adapter, prop, and ESC. I haven't flown it in less than ~10 mph winds yet, but it is quiet and smooth, carrying a bit more speed and climbs better. I am still learning, so not going hog wild, yet.

Hopefully I got the ground pounding out of my system with a T-28D BNF, which is still flying after 3 crashes thanks to white Gorilla glue. So that will be my take chances trying new acrobatics plank for now, with the pristine T-28 for backup and nicer weather.
efflandt is offline Find More Posts by efflandt
Old Apr 04, 2011, 03:57 PM
Noob
Joined Apr 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg View Post
I find changing the center of gravity by moving the battery forward and back even a slight bit changes the flight characteristics. I wonder of you are tail heavy - that could be the cause of the porpoising. Try sliding the battery forward another 1/2 inch or so - a bit nose heavy is easier to control that a bit tail heavy.

If you can rig up something to check center of gravity, do so. The proper cog is published for the T-28, but don't have it at my fingertips.
I found the CG (2.5" from the LE and 1" from the fuse) in the manual and set up a little rig to balance the plane. Turns out I was really NOSE heavy. I had gone with 2200mah batteries, which weigh about 50g more than the stock 1800's they sell. I moved the battery back about 1.5" and it seems to balance ever so slightly to the nose now.

Hopefully that will make for better flights. I'm going to double check the cg on my friend's jig as well, just in case there's any discrepancy.

I went back and checked my control horns and I was on the outside holes. This is the lowest throw correct?

If so, I guess it's just a matter of getting used to the different flight mechanics of ailerons/elevator over rudder/elevator.

The glue is almost dry...
Old Apr 04, 2011, 04:04 PM
Miami, FL
Joined Mar 2007
683 Posts
I wonder if my plane is just weird, but I fly with 1800's,2100, and 2200 of all different weights and my trojan is so old that the battery slot is very hollowed out already. My battery can move 1 to 2 inches forward and back in flight just by slightly angling the plane. Yet it flies smooth as can be and I've never even felt the difference that inch or 2 of movement make in flight and never even have to retrim it. I think the trojan is the most forgiving plane to CG imaginable.
Figure.N9ne is offline Find More Posts by Figure.N9ne
Old Apr 04, 2011, 04:30 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaniel View Post
I wonder if my plane is just weird, but I fly with 1800's,2100, and 2200 of all different weights and my trojan is so old that the battery slot is very hollowed out already. My battery can move 1 to 2 inches forward and back in flight just by slightly angling the plane. Yet it flies smooth as can be and I've never even felt the difference that inch or 2 of movement make in flight and never even have to retrim it. I think the trojan is the most forgiving plane to CG imaginable.
I basically agree with this but I have noticed some subtle changes in flying characteristics when my battery shifts in flight. I think you're probably just accustomed to making the small but necessary stick adjustments to keep it flying well and you've been doing it long enough that you just don't notice it. Or... you could be right and your plane somewhow is completely unaffected by shifts in weight.

I just put a velcro strip in there that I have the back of my battery rest on to hold it in place. It seems to work just fine.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Apr 04, 2011, 05:10 PM
Miami, FL
Joined Mar 2007
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I basically agree with this but I have noticed some subtle changes in flying characteristics when my battery shifts in flight. I think you're probably just accustomed to making the small but necessary stick adjustments to keep it flying well and you've been doing it long enough that you just don't notice it. Or... you could be right and your plane somewhow is completely unaffected by shifts in weight.

I just put a velcro strip in there that I have the back of my battery rest on to hold it in place. It seems to work just fine.
i'm sure there is some difference, but in other planes I can feel the difference moving the battery 1/8th of an inch makes and on this one i have a "dynamic CoG" and don't even notice it. this is part of the reason i tell everyone to start with a trojan and a buddy box and skip the whole super cub thing. Buddy box being the key element.
Figure.N9ne is offline Find More Posts by Figure.N9ne
Old Apr 04, 2011, 05:17 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
So i have an interesting one..........

I crashed right into the only mud/water spot on the entire field. It went nose in.

got water and mud all over the motor. I used compressed air to spray it out, but when i went to fly on Sunday it was much slower and did not spin up until i gave it around 30% throttle.

It seems like the motor is a damaged, bummer.... after the first week I have replaced..

4 motor mounts
4 props
1 fuselage
Repaired 1 aileron servo control arm
1 front landing gear
4 cowlings
1 prop adapter
AND now
1 motor

The good news is......

I now can fly it, and with out pushing my limits, i can fly and land with out crashing...

now I am sure that I will still crash as I continue to push my limits..

I was okay and understood I would be replacing the foam and plastic parts, but it totally bummed me out to have to replace my motor.

I am going to take the motor apart and look at it, i have some electric motor cleaner so I will spray it down and remove any debris that is still in there and see if i can revive it.

I have flown about 15 flights in 7 days.

Landed with no wheels and with wheels, which the latter was huge for me.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Apr 04, 2011, 05:51 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
So i have an interesting one..........

I crashed right into the only mud/water spot on the entire field. It went nose in.

got water and mud all over the motor. I used compressed air to spray it out, but when i went to fly on Sunday it was much slower and did not spin up until i gave it around 30% throttle.

It seems like the motor is a damaged, bummer.... after the first week I have replaced..

4 motor mounts
4 props
1 fuselage
Repaired 1 aileron servo control arm
1 front landing gear
4 cowlings
1 prop adapter
AND now
1 motor

The good news is......

I now can fly it, and with out pushing my limits, i can fly and land with out crashing...

now I am sure that I will still crash as I continue to push my limits..

I was okay and understood I would be replacing the foam and plastic parts, but it totally bummed me out to have to replace my motor.

I am going to take the motor apart and look at it, i have some electric motor cleaner so I will spray it down and remove any debris that is still in there and see if i can revive it.

I have flown about 15 flights in 7 days.

Landed with no wheels and with wheels, which the latter was huge for me.
Sounds like you have the right attitude about it so just keep it up. You're doing great. Crashes are and will always be part of the game. Fixing them can be a fun part of the hobby too but sometimes it feels like that's all you're doing (been there).

Just keep having fun.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Apr 04, 2011, 07:32 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
2,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaniel View Post
Heck. I fly with 3300's warbling around in that worn, enlarged battery compartment, albiet with a velcro strap. JMO

Ron
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose