Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 06, 2011, 04:58 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
anyone have pics of how they have mounted up their turnigy 3536 in this plane? I stuck mine on the stock mount and came up about a half inch or so short. I was hoping not to use any kind of stand-offs for this plane but maybe that is the only way...
you have to space it some way. the ply mount and 8-32 screws is the lightest and easiest. The motors shown are the 35-30, 35-36, 35-42. completely adjustable mount.

Rob

Parkzone T-28 Turnigy Motor selection (0 min 49 sec)
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2011, 05:24 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
1,966 Posts
Colorado Front Range

We got 8" of snow yesterday afternoon and overnight. We had to wait for the High School parking lot to get plowed today. After my 5th flight I noticed my 28 was sluggish. I was hauling around a bunch of ice.

Ron
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Old Feb 06, 2011, 05:33 PM
At least 2 mistakes high
Ridgeland, MS
Joined Dec 2008
385 Posts
Wow, what did your hands look like?
cid186 is offline Find More Posts by cid186
Old Feb 06, 2011, 05:55 PM
USA, TN, Fayetteville
Joined Dec 2004
878 Posts
So, other than foam, what parts break regularly? I don't have a hobby shop close, so I like to pick up a few spares.
madmike8 is offline Find More Posts by madmike8
Old Feb 06, 2011, 06:27 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Rough day today. After several beautiful flights I totaled my T-28. Got cocky and tried a snap roll during takeoff. Nose dive a WOT. Added up the cost to repair her and it came to $125. I'm gonna just buy another. I stripped her of all the good parts.

Question. Should I get another T-28 (love that plane) or should I get something different and if so, what?

By the way - the crash was so bad that the battery was compromised. It was hot to the touch for hours.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 06, 2011, 07:08 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
1,966 Posts
Colorado Front Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by cid186 View Post
Wow, what did your hands look like?
I wear a pair of bum gloves with no finger tips, and a mitten flap. Still forefingfers and thumbs were danged cold. Burned as they warmed up.

Ron
Old Feb 06, 2011, 07:08 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike8 View Post
So, other than foam, what parts break regularly? I don't have a hobby shop close, so I like to pick up a few spares.
pick up a cowl and a prop or two. Honestly, you shouldn't need anything else. You won't believe how many times you can glue every single part of this plane together after some nasty crashes. A little hotglue or epoxy and some packing tape and you can crash many many times. The cowl and prop, oh and the motor mount are about the only things that you should really ever have to replace!
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Last edited by ty_horn; Feb 06, 2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2011, 07:13 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Rough day today. After several beautiful flights I totaled my T-28. Got cocky and tried a snap roll during takeoff. Nose dive a WOT. Added up the cost to repair her and it came to $125. I'm gonna just buy another. I stripped her of all the good parts.

Question. Should I get another T-28 (love that plane) or should I get something different and if so, what?

By the way - the crash was so bad that the battery was compromised. It was hot to the touch for hours.

Ok, so I have given this a lot of thought for you and I have the perfect answer so get your credit card ready because this is what you are going to end up doing and most everyone here will agree with me

Right now, you should order a new plane (something other than the t-28) Then get all excited about trying something new while you wait for it to come in the mail. Ok, this is the best part... Now after building and flying the new one a few times you will still be super excited about it but you will never get over that tiny voice in the back of your mind that keeps telling you that the t-28 was sooooooooo sweet and you need another one. So, finally just give in and buy another t-28. You see, if you do this right you will end up with 2 new planes

Edit: Or you could just hot glue everything back together. You might not believe me but you really can repair 99% of crashes on these zfoam planes with some hot glue and packing tape!
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Feb 06, 2011, 07:13 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
1,966 Posts
Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike8 View Post
How much flying experience do you have? I'm assuming not much. Therefore, usually front end parts. Props, motor mounts, and cowlings.

Route your motor wires to the speed controller thru one of the top holes thru the motor mount as most collisions with Mother Earth are at the bottom of the plane. This will save you from severing wires.

Ron
Last edited by rdcskkrose; Feb 06, 2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2011, 07:18 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
Now after building and flying the new one a few times you will still be super excited about it but you will never get over that tiny voice in the back of your mind that keeps telling you that the t-28 was sooooooooo sweet and you need another one. So, finally just give in and buy another t-28. You see, if you do this right you will end up with 2 new planes
+1 on the soooooooo sweet.

After two years and many planes I still have my 28 (thinking...no original parts left though) and enjoy the heck out of it. Great warm up plane.

Ron
Old Feb 06, 2011, 07:48 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,123 Posts
Quote:

If you continue to attempt snap rolls on a take off(usually done right off the deck), I suggest something from 3D Hobby Shop. A little easier to snap. They have a $99 Edge thas a good balsa starter plane.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Feb 06, 2011, 11:39 PM
Fly Freely, Fly Responsibly
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Quote:

Well..I have 2 T-28's. Does this answer the question, in whole or in part, for ya'?

BTW, #2 has MANY hours of flights on it. With (so far) only an inverted (sort of) crash on landing - with the v-stab snicked - in high winds, which was easily remedied with some epoxy.

I swear, this plane flies so sweet now - if I lost it - I'd repair or buy another...and another...and another. This is - hands down - the best 'cheap foamy' ever made!
WhirlyBits is offline Find More Posts by WhirlyBits
Last edited by WhirlyBits; Feb 06, 2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 02:45 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
1,986 Posts
Second that, I have two as well, one white and one grey. Can't imagine not having at least one!
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Feb 07, 2011, 08:47 AM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Man that sucks! I had 3 or 4 great flights with mine yesterday afternoon. I was going to fly my P-47 and during pre-flight discovered the rudder wasn't working . I double checked the connections and everything is connected as it should be. Will be investigating further tonight.

Quote:
Get another T-28. They are great planes.

Quote:
Well that battery is no good. That was an expensive crash. Have you considered just buying enough parts to build another one instead of going out and buying a whole new plane?
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Feb 07, 2011, 09:27 AM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
Quote:

Guys sometimes you can catch a damaged plane on ebay under Hobbi Mart Marty
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys