HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 29, 2011, 04:53 AM
Fly Freely, Fly Responsibly
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
The Triton is OK, it's just way overpriced. Tower tends to do that with all the electric flight gear (motors, lipos, ESC, chargers).

Bill
I'm quoting you, Prof, the this is responding to all. Thanks for all your feedback!

Yup...it's overpriced. And does the same thing they all do. Agreed, on the functions, menus, et al. I'm not worried. I'm supporting my LHS, and - yeah - I paid ~$129 (USD) for those that are curious.

Charges at 1.8-1.9 initially, after you put in battery type info.

It's a though, with taking an additional 15-20 minutes on a 'trickle charge' at .01-03A while it does the 'final balancing dance.'

Thanks, all!
WhirlyBits is offline Find More Posts by WhirlyBits
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2011, 05:12 AM
Fly Freely, Fly Responsibly
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
I knew there must have been a thread on this bird, but for some reason I couldn't find it until now! I'm a new T-28 owner coming back after 8 years away from the hobby. Made my maiden flight yesterday - short flight, with two landings. Even had a small crowd of school kids on recess watching, which probably didn't help my nerves! Decided to go ahead and do a second flight, and threw in some loops and rolls. During the landing, I think I slowed down too much too early, nerves got the better of me, and I pushed down elevator rather than pull back, and dove into the ground. Result: Wing cracked halfway through at root, broke one servo arm, broke the wing mount, and put a couple of dings in the wing. One wingtip is soft. Dang!

It's all patched back up, except I'm waiting for a replacement servo. Need to figure out how to fix the soft wing - someone in another thread I started about the crash (would have just posted here had I known!!) recommended soaking it in very hot water to expand the foam. I haven't tried that yet, but if that doesn't work I think I'll just put some tape on it. I also picked up some gorilla tape, and some clear duct tape, to tape the wing on once I get the new aileron servo installed, as even after gluing everything back, it's still a bit loose.

Great plane to re-introduce myself to the hobby!


I also have the Cellpro 4S Gold charger and it seems pretty good to me. Now I just need that servo so I can fly again!


What kind of flighttimes are people here getting? I'm flying the PZ 2200mAh 3S 25C batteries - I remembered to start the timer on my DX6i for the second flight, and after about 6:30 of flying time, I had 55% left according to my charger. I was mostly flying simple circuits at around 50%+ throttle for most of the flight. How big of a battery will fit in the plane without mods?
I'm getting 7-9 minutes on mine. But I NEVER fly to LVC, as it's hard on the batteries. This is with mixed flight: 40% WOT, 60% leisure pattern flight.
You can put as big a battery as you want (of the same spec). I haven't found anything larger than 2500mAH to be useful, as there's a 'weight penalty' at a certain point - but mine is not 'stock' so I can do what I want. The batteries you're flying are ideal, and what I use as well.

I would highly recommend a new wing. I have 2 T-28's. On T-28 #1, I GG'd my wing back together using the 'TLAR' incidence method ('that looks about right') and planted it 15 ft. behind my car at >50mph.

Really. Buy another wing.

Less stress, and many happy (nearly-trimless) flights will follow!
WhirlyBits is offline Find More Posts by WhirlyBits
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:00 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
It's all patched back up, except I'm waiting for a replacement servo. Need to figure out how to fix the soft wing - someone in another thread I started about the crash (would have just posted here had I known!!) recommended soaking it in very hot water to expand the foam. I haven't tried that yet, but if that doesn't work I think I'll just put some tape on it. I also picked up some gorilla tape, and some clear duct tape, to tape the wing on once I get the new aileron servo installed, as even after gluing everything back, it's still a bit loose.
I 2nd getting a new wing they are pretty cheap. I would also check with any LHS's in the area. Some have free slightly damaged parts, often cracked fuses, or wings with a dent in them (though in much better shape than yours is) for $5 or even free. They get HH credit for them since it costs HH more for the store to ship them back.
pkquat is offline Find More Posts by pkquat
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:11 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhirlyBits View Post
I'm quoting you, Prof, the this is responding to all. Thanks for all your feedback!

Yup...it's overpriced. And does the same thing they all do. Agreed, on the functions, menus, et al. I'm not worried. I'm supporting my LHS, and - yeah - I paid ~$129 (USD) for those that are curious.

Charges at 1.8-1.9 initially, after you put in battery type info.

It's a though, with taking an additional 15-20 minutes on a 'trickle charge' at .01-03A while it does the 'final balancing dance.'

Thanks, all!
The price for the Triton is pretty high, but you will have a little better support, and in theory better quality. You also have the AC side of things which increases the cost a little. Your AC power supply of 50W is your charge rate limit. (Also note that the E-Flite batteries are only 1C charge rates). Balance charging will always take a little longer because of the balancing step. The charger needs to charge all cells through the power leads and then discharge individual cells though the balance leads repeatedly. Some of the high end chargers can charge through the balance ports when balancing. This speeds up the balance process.

Here is a little cheat sheet on LiPo's with information on charging rates and power needed.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1344681
pkquat is offline Find More Posts by pkquat
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 03:41 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,026 Posts
5th flight - dumb thumbed because showing off

So today I had my 4th and 5th flights. Prior to 4th I had increased the aileron and elevator throws to the second hole down from fuse. 4th fight went great without a hitch, took off LG and was having a blast - the increased throws are a nice touch.

5th Flight was later on today and my wife was watching. Well, I for some reason decided to show off and brought her down fairly low to the ground, but inverted, flew past my wife and dumb thumbed and dove into the snowy ground lol. Trying to show off wasnt the best idea I had today lol. When she landed upside down, the wing edge hit and the wing came loose, ie, the doubled pronged clip at rear of wing broke loose from the foam; like its supposed to I assume??

This was the only damage and I am lucky as I was going fairly fast (over 1/2 throttle). I have since fixed with Beacon foam Tac and as far as I know its all good.

Note to self - dont show off till i'll become more familiar with her while inverted.

Still - a fun day
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 06:51 PM
Fly Freely, Fly Responsibly
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Good stuff! Thanks for the info. My understanding is that, once you're beyond 1800 mAH - 2A charge rates are fine. I just 'let it do its thing' when charging.
Hence, the 1.8-1.9A initial charge. I noticed a LOT of "Tritons" at the field today, though...

Segue: I've got a 'suspect' 2100 3-cell 20C - how do I dispose of it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by pkquat View Post
The price for the Triton is pretty high, but you will have a little better support, and in theory better quality. You also have the AC side of things which increases the cost a little. Your AC power supply of 50W is your charge rate limit. (Also note that the E-Flite batteries are only 1C charge rates). Balance charging will always take a little longer because of the balancing step. The charger needs to charge all cells through the power leads and then discharge individual cells though the balance leads repeatedly. Some of the high end chargers can charge through the balance ports when balancing. This speeds up the balance process.

Here is a little cheat sheet on LiPo's with information on charging rates and power needed.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1344681
WhirlyBits is offline Find More Posts by WhirlyBits
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 06:57 PM
Fly Freely, Fly Responsibly
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Great job, man, even with the "incident!"

Winds were about 10-15 at the field today. I think I'm gonna' dial the throws on the aileron back to the outermost holes. Then use my radio to dial-in what I want. It just gets too 'jiggy' to fly clean lines. I initially thought it might be the wind, but a field-bud brought his T-28 out (outer aileron holes, 100% - 30% expo) and didn't have the issues that I did (but he sorta' pranged his landing - I told him: "you fly better than me, but I land better than you!").

Good times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
So today I had my 4th and 5th flights. Prior to 4th I had increased the aileron and elevator throws to the second hole down from fuse. 4th fight went great without a hitch, took off LG and was having a blast - the increased throws are a nice touch.

5th Flight was later on today and my wife was watching. Well, I for some reason decided to show off and brought her down fairly low to the ground, but inverted, flew past my wife and dumb thumbed and dove into the snowy ground lol. Trying to show off wasnt the best idea I had today lol. When she landed upside down, the wing edge hit and the wing came loose, ie, the doubled pronged clip at rear of wing broke loose from the foam; like its supposed to I assume??

This was the only damage and I am lucky as I was going fairly fast (over 1/2 throttle). I have since fixed with Beacon foam Tac and as far as I know its all good.

Note to self - dont show off till i'll become more familiar with her while inverted.

Still - a fun day
WhirlyBits is offline Find More Posts by WhirlyBits
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 07:03 PM
It's just a plane.
ZackJones's Avatar
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Had an interesting incident with my T-28 today. I was the only one at the flying field so I did some taxi tests on grass. Well I guess doing so caused the landing gear to come loose on the right half of the wing so as soon as I got airborne I knew I was in trouble. Prior to last weekend it wouldn't have been a big deal. I would have just landed her in the tall grass. Well all of that grass is plowed under. While I'm flying a round I'm flying her low and slow so I can try and figure out what to do about landing her.

Well the wind took care of landing for me. A serious cross wind gust came along and blew her over my head, across the pits and into a tree. This is probably the best thing that could have happened in hindsight. What's really odd is earlier this morning I was flying my Mustang at another site and guess what I did -- yup flew her into a tree. I thought only my UM Champ had the hidden tree magnet in it. Guess my PZ warbirds do too.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 07:10 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,026 Posts
lucky the wing stopped her for ya lol


Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackJones View Post
Had an interesting incident with my T-28 today. I was the only one at the flying field so I did some taxi tests on grass. Well I guess doing so caused the landing gear to come loose on the right half of the wing so as soon as I got airborne I knew I was in trouble. Prior to last weekend it wouldn't have been a big deal. I would have just landed her in the tall grass. Well all of that grass is plowed under. While I'm flying a round I'm flying her low and slow so I can try and figure out what to do about landing her.

Well the wind took care of landing for me. A serious cross wind gust came along and blew her over my head, across the pits and into a tree. This is probably the best thing that could have happened in hindsight. What's really odd is earlier this morning I was flying my Mustang at another site and guess what I did -- yup flew her into a tree. I thought only my UM Champ had the hidden tree magnet in it. Guess my PZ warbirds do too.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 09:45 PM
Look Up!
gewiens's Avatar
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Call me crazy but got rid of my PZ P-47 today and went back to the t-28. I only have the one foamie for those quick last min flights and actually enjoy the t-28 more. Just started getting it ready tonight, power 25 and 40amp esc like my first one had. Going to strengthen the wings and elevator with carbon fibre like my first one and hope to try her out end of week when temps get back to somewhat normal here. Will run it on 3 and 4s.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:11 PM
Fly Freely, Fly Responsibly
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Be very quiet...shhhhh...hear it? That's the 'sucking sound' from those trees, over there.

Those trees have gotten my UM J-3 and UM T-28, also. But now they're aware.

My larger-sized T-28D just laughs at them, while it flies by....


Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackJones View Post
Had an interesting incident with my T-28 today. I was the only one at the flying field so I did some taxi tests on grass. Well I guess doing so caused the landing gear to come loose on the right half of the wing so as soon as I got airborne I knew I was in trouble. Prior to last weekend it wouldn't have been a big deal. I would have just landed her in the tall grass. Well all of that grass is plowed under. While I'm flying a round I'm flying her low and slow so I can try and figure out what to do about landing her.

Well the wind took care of landing for me. A serious cross wind gust came along and blew her over my head, across the pits and into a tree. This is probably the best thing that could have happened in hindsight. What's really odd is earlier this morning I was flying my Mustang at another site and guess what I did -- yup flew her into a tree. I thought only my UM Champ had the hidden tree magnet in it. Guess my PZ warbirds do too.
WhirlyBits is offline Find More Posts by WhirlyBits
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:58 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,026 Posts
LOL

Dont jinx yourself whirly.




Quote:
Originally Posted by WhirlyBits View Post
Be very quiet...shhhhh...hear it? That's the 'sucking sound' from those trees, over there.

Those trees have gotten my UM J-3 and UM T-28, also. But now they're aware.

My larger-sized T-28D just laughs at them, while it flies by....
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:39 PM
Fly Freely, Fly Responsibly
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
LOL

Dont jinx yourself whirly.
It always can happen.

I'm no 'stranger' to GG, (or even epoxy) when the need arises...
WhirlyBits is offline Find More Posts by WhirlyBits
Last edited by WhirlyBits; Jan 29, 2011 at 11:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:50 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2011
120 Posts
So what batteries to you guys suggest I can you with a T-28 besides the E-flight 20c 3s that I'm running now???? I'm new to all this and have only been flying since Nov. Thanks in advance.

40rty
40rty is offline Find More Posts by 40rty
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:58 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
HuffDaddy's Avatar
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,214 Posts
aaaahh... life is good when ya can get out and fly a few

I spent the day out flyin' a few lipos inbewteen the squalls we were having today.... weird, no wind to speak of but LOTS of rain off & on... when I wasn't flyin' I worked on a couple other birds in the hangar... rebuilt my Corsair cuz last weekend I made 'wing tacos' . The 2 year old main wing has been ripped in half at least 2x and a number of other times it's been roughed up pretty good, so I figured the ol gal deserved better, so I bought her a new wing.... hopefuly tomorrow I'll take her out for a spin with the T28 & T-Bolt

I kinda' pimped out my T28 a little too...painted some silver on the face of the cowl, painted a tad of silver in the exhaust area, added a 2nd pilot, a 'student' ... and tried out a new prop, 10x7 MAS... and I painted them tips ruby red heheh

-M







HuffDaddy is online now Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article ParkZone T-28 Trojan RTF Review Jim Walker Electric Warbirds 879 Aug 11, 2014 09:08 PM
Official Parkzone P-51 Owners Thread - Part 2 monitor Parkflyers 2602 Jun 15, 2014 04:51 PM
Discussion Parkzone T-28 Trojan Thread Edge767 Parkflyers 6527 Jun 04, 2008 05:29 AM
Sold Parkzone T-28 Trojan, 480 960kv Motors (2) Joe in Dublin Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 4 Jan 17, 2008 01:34 PM
Wanted Parkzone T-28 Trojan webejpn01 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Oct 25, 2007 02:48 PM