ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2010, 09:41 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
1,988 Posts
Thursday Night Flying In Colorado

A Little Windy (like 35mph but straight down the runway).

T-28 w/ Power 25 4 Cell Racing 75mph nitro Jato/RC Mountain Division (4 min 32 sec)
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Old Jul 22, 2010, 09:41 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
1,988 Posts
T-28s Thursday Night Flying In Colorado

A Little Windy (like 35mph but straight down the runway).

T-28 w/ Power 25 4 Cell Racing 75mph nitro Jato/RC Mountain Division (4 min 32 sec)
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:18 PM
Mile High Pilot
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
Love the sound of the 28 and the car! That is one hot rod T-28. Did you get wet? Looks like you werent far from a pretty good thunderstorm.
milehighjc is offline Find More Posts by milehighjc
Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:21 PM
Fly Freely, Fly Responsibly
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithflyer_az View Post
Point well taken ala Clint. Sometimes my bravery out does my limitations aircraft maint.time.
keith
Outstanding segue....

Per my earlier post...new P-10 and 40A ESC.

It was about 10-15mph nearly 90-degree (variable) winds at the field this evening. Even the instructors were having to make 4-5 'go arounds' in 5 lbs. Avistars to get back on the ground. There were lots of gusts and weird 'convection lift' (thermals) going on around the grass/cement transition.

There were several slight skids and scuffed wingtips (these are very experienced pilots).

Could I have gotten my 2 lb. "foamy" up and down with my new P-10 and ESC 40A in those conditions? Absolutely! Many times I've done it, though, I had to deal with wing tip/prop 'scuffs' etc.

Stress reduction is the goal (for me).

My refurb'd crate is fresh out of "Bill's A&P shop."

I'll wait till Sat. AM to maiden it...thankyouverymuch! LOL!
WhirlyBits is offline Find More Posts by WhirlyBits
Last edited by WhirlyBits; Jul 22, 2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 01:44 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2009
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender707 View Post
I bet this is a true statement for just about any air frame

Hehe I bet if you flipped the wings on a Radian, you would get a very interesting flight...
Mcdyvie is offline Find More Posts by Mcdyvie
Old Jul 23, 2010, 02:12 AM
Medford, Massachusetts USA
Joined Feb 2008
361 Posts
Run Time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehunt2010 View Post
Guys, I'm kind of new to modding my planes and have put a power 10 on my trojan with an e-flite 40 amp with bec ESC in it. I just tested with my hyperion 2200 35c battery and am pulling between 35 and 40 amps on it. The power 10 only being rated for 30 continuous and 38 burst, what am I doing wrong? I'm using a MAS 10X7 prop. I tested it with the stock 9.5X7.5 prop and it still pulls between 32 and 35 amps at full speed. This is testing it for approximately 10 seconds at full speed to make sure I don't burn the motor out. Can anyone help me with this? I don't know what I would be doing wrong as I'm running 4XHS55 servo's and 2 of the original servos. Thanks.
Like Moosehunt2010, I am going to install a Power 10, 40 amp ESC and I happen to also be using the same Hyperion 2200 35C battery. I will also be adding the Custom R/C motor mount and Maxx Products 5 mm to 8 mm prop adaptor so I can use the stock prop (I have about 6 of them!).

I had to upgrade because after installing some robart strut covers tonight I took the cowl off to tighten the nose wheel gear screw and I saw some cracks in the stock motor. I was suprised because I have only had about 20 flights (no crashes) with only one slow minor nose over while taxiing.

Moosehunt2010, if your still here checking out this thread, or anyone else with the same set up....what run times are you getting with your set up when you use the stock prop? How are the verticals/performance with the stock prop?

Thanks,
Steve
Stevedots is offline Find More Posts by Stevedots
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:50 AM
Norway, Akershus, Frogner
Joined Jun 2010
920 Posts
Has anyone ever tried some belly/wing skids to fly off grass? I often fly from a place where the grass is longer then the wheels and the underground is a bit rough with that.
I will either see if i can get my hands on tundra wheels, but as that is not so nice for the scale look i rather go gear less. But without anything i am aftraid that the the prop and engine would get destroyed in no time.

Coenraad
Coenraad is offline Find More Posts by Coenraad
Old Jul 23, 2010, 05:30 AM
Z-8
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2010
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedots View Post
Like Moosehunt2010, I am going to install a Power 10, 40 amp ESC and I happen to also be using the same Hyperion 2200 35C battery. I will also be adding the Custom R/C motor mount and Maxx Products 5 mm to 8 mm prop adaptor so I can use the stock prop (I have about 6 of them!).

I had to upgrade because after installing some robart strut covers tonight I took the cowl off to tighten the nose wheel gear screw and I saw some cracks in the stock motor. I was suprised because I have only had about 20 flights (no crashes) with only one slow minor nose over while taxiing.

Moosehunt2010, if your still here checking out this thread, or anyone else with the same set up....what run times are you getting with your set up when you use the stock prop? How are the verticals/performance with the stock prop?

Thanks,
Steve
The P10 gives a good mix of power and flying time. You should get ~7 mins in mixed throttle flight from a good 2200.

For an identical T:W ratio (exactly 1.42 for both), ~10 min flying times, and much better flying characteristics the Super Tigre .10 is a less expensive choice at $20 total outlay (can use stock ESC and battery) vs $160 = $60 (engine) + $50 (ESC) + $50 (new battery). The downside is that you have to drill 4 holes and buy a $ or two in hardware to mount the ST motor.

My comparo tests them with a constant battery, which is one way to compare but it doesn't let higher engine efficiency increase overall aircraft performance.
Z-8 is offline Find More Posts by Z-8
Old Jul 23, 2010, 05:45 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdyvie View Post
Hehe I bet if you flipped the wings on a Radian, you would get a very interesting flight...
I beleive you are reading and spending too much time over in the PARK ZONE EXTRA 300 Threads!!!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Jul 23, 2010, 05:46 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2009
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenraad View Post
Has anyone ever tried some belly/wing skids to fly off grass? I often fly from a place where the grass is longer then the wheels and the underground is a bit rough with that.
I will either see if i can get my hands on tundra wheels, but as that is not so nice for the scale look i rather go gear less. But without anything i am aftraid that the the prop and engine would get destroyed in no time.

Coenraad
HI Coenraad, just tape the bottom of the plane and the leading edges of the wings, it belly lands great. You will need more props than usual, but if you cut the throttle, it should be ok.

Cheers,
Old Jul 23, 2010, 05:47 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2009
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post
I beleive you are reading and spending too much time over in the PARK ZONE EXTRA 300 Threads!!!
Haha, I have unsubscribed. Nobody seemed to see the humor in my
"what the wings are inverted? Howcome nobody mentioned this yet?" post on the 100th page of just such ranting...

Just glad I didn't buy it lol. The Radian is just freaking sweet though. NO complaints there, but wouldn't want to flip those wings.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 05:50 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdyvie View Post
Haha, I have unsubscribed. Nobody seemed to see the humor in my
"what the wings are inverted? Howcome nobody mentioned this yet?" post on the 100th page of just such ranting...

Just glad I didn't buy it lol. The Radian is just freaking sweet though. NO complaints there, but wouldn't want to flip those wings.
Yeah, how can you screw up a powered Glider wings?

Well, both models share a carbon Tube but, the Radian does not have any PAINT on the wings. Too bad about the EXTRA 300 what a freaking mess!!!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:32 AM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedots View Post

Thanks,
Steve
I use the same setup myself but with an APC 10x7 E, similar Lipo. I set my TX Timer to 8 Minutes, (I usually do mixed throttle flights) and I land after the beeps and put <1800 mah back in to the pack during charging. The stock prop draws less power, so if you start from 8 minutes you should not over draw your packs. Expiriment with how much you put back in the packs from there and you can adjust your timer accordingly, your flying style will effect how much you draw from the lipo on the average flight.
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:23 PM
Medford, Massachusetts USA
Joined Feb 2008
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender707 View Post
I use the same setup myself but with an APC 10x7 E, similar Lipo. I set my TX Timer to 8 Minutes, (I usually do mixed throttle flights) and I land after the beeps and put <1800 mah back in to the pack during charging. The stock prop draws less power, so if you start from 8 minutes you should not over draw your packs. Expiriment with how much you put back in the packs from there and you can adjust your timer accordingly, your flying style will effect how much you draw from the lipo on the average flight.
Thanks,

Steve
Stevedots is offline Find More Posts by Stevedots