HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2008, 05:38 AM
Joined May 2008
8 Posts
Question
Power supply for receiver through controller ?

Hi I'm new to electric rc models, I just bought a Robbe Parabolic and have it almost ready to fly.
I was wondering about the power supply of the receiver via one battery. How do I make sure that I always have enough power for the receiver left. Is there some mechanism shutting off the motor? Once it does that, how much time do I have left?

Thanks for an answer or link to a thread where this question is answered.
tneuensc is offline Find More Posts by tneuensc
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2008, 07:44 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,772 Posts
Here's a link to the Robbe Parabolic review which may be of interest.

The ESC, (Electronic Speed Controller), has a circuit that drops the battery voltage from 11.1v down to 5v for the receiver and servo.

The ESC protects the battery pack from dropping too low, (it can reduce the life of the battery if it drops below a certain level). To do this it switches the motor off but still supplies the Rx and servos.

Usually you can reset the throttle by moving the throttle stick to low and then back up to run the motor if you need to, but only for a few seconds before it will cut out again. It's so you could have a little burst of power if needed when landing.

Once the motor cuts out you should consider landing within a few minutes, but there is probably enough left in the battery for quite a few minutes, but land anyway just to be safe.

Good luck with the model and welcome to RCGroups.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old May 20, 2008, 07:52 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,772 Posts
One recommendation for all new to electric flight is to -

Switch the Tx, (transmitter), on first with the throttle low, then connect the planes battery.
After landing -
Un-plug the planes battery first, then switch the Tx off.

It's the safest way to work.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old May 20, 2008, 09:28 AM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
One recommendation for all new to electric flight is to -

Switch the Tx, (transmitter), on first with the throttle low, then connect the planes battery.
After landing -
Un-plug the planes battery first, then switch the Tx off.

It's the safest way to work.
I was once told if you turn on the receiver first, and there was somebody on your channel, you'd know it right away, although, this is totally against manufacturer's instructions, and you do it at your own peril. Could save your plane, and could keep you from shooting down someone else's.

Anybody have any thoughts on this "tip"?
foamnpacktape is offline Find More Posts by foamnpacktape
Old May 20, 2008, 11:32 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,964 Posts
If you decide to turn on the planes receiver without the transmitter being on you can expect "who knows what." Overdriven servos, electric motor start or perhaps nothing. It is a crap shoot! Use the field frequency control board or if park flying ask before turning on.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old May 20, 2008, 12:37 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn
If you decide to turn on the planes receiver without the transmitter being on you can expect "who knows what." Overdriven servos, electric motor start or perhaps nothing. It is a crap shoot! Use the field frequency control board or if park flying ask before turning on.
Gary
Gary,

To be fair I received this advice some time ago, and electronics have changed substantially since. Furthermore, We were flying glow not electrics back then.
We also used to perform range tests out till things got jittery (similar situation), gave us a better idea of when we may have a problem. Most I see now, the pilot walks out 25 paces, things work, he flies, just like in the manual.

I turn on the receiver first, from time to time when I have rf concerns. I have not had a problem, but I do keep my hand close to the switch just in case. I think the serious glitches would occur if there was an interfering rf signal, I'd like to discover if a servo is going to be overdriven on the ground before I commit to flight. Of course this is anecdotal, I may not always be so "lucky."

Thanks Gary, I just wanted to put the idea out there and see if its still valid. Some old advice has a best before date.

foam.
foamnpacktape is offline Find More Posts by foamnpacktape
Old May 21, 2008, 01:52 AM
Joined May 2008
8 Posts
Thanks a lot guys. Your explanations helped.
tneuensc is offline Find More Posts by tneuensc