SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 19, 2008, 05:23 PM
Joined Apr 2008
8 Posts
Discussion
Good plane for a 12 year old

My 12 year old son has always been interested in flying and has been talking about getting in to RC planes. So i was wondering what would be the best plane for him? Please keep in mind that he is a pretty intelligent kid.
flyerunderfire is offline Find More Posts by flyerunderfire
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2008, 05:41 PM
SuperCub Crash Test Pilot
Laveen, AZ
Joined Sep 2007
417 Posts
Personally, I would recommend the HobbyZone Super Cub. A complete kit with everything you need to fly only costs around $160. It's very easy to put together (takes about 20 minutes), and it almost flies by itself. The Super Cub is also capable of doing mild aerobatics (such as loops), but the best part is the replacement parts are generally cheap and readily available at the local hobby store.

http://www.hobbyzonesports.com/Produ...ProdID=HBZ7100

- Matt
clipper453 is offline Find More Posts by clipper453
Old May 19, 2008, 06:33 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
I second Matt's comments. I watched 3 guys learn on their own on one and I am teaching my GF on one I built for her.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old May 19, 2008, 08:22 PM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Yep, same here. Taught (well..currently teaching) myself and my son on the Super Cub. You're gonna here the majority of folks here recommend it. It's just a great plane all around. Pretty easy to fly, will take a beating and repair very easily with tape and basic epoxies or Foam Safe CA, and the parts are readily available and pretty cheap. Can't go wrong!

Bryan
Olias is offline Find More Posts by Olias
Old May 19, 2008, 09:18 PM
Check my blog-updated
Columbus,Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
2,133 Posts
If it makes a difference I'll 4th that vote for the S.C.

I have seen a few guys start out with something, crash it, buy a cub and actually get to fly.
Mayday!Mayday! is offline Find More Posts by Mayday!Mayday!
Old May 19, 2008, 10:36 PM
Joined Apr 2008
68 Posts
Ill 5th vote the super cub. I am learning on a Cub. It has crashed so many times ive lost count. The wing has been busted in half 5 times, then glued back together. The body has snapped at least 6 times, all glued back together. I have broken I think every part on this plane, and it still flies. In fact, today I went out, crashed on my first flight. I broke off the entire firewall assembly, motor and all. I fixed it in the parking lot with glue and tape, and was back in the air in 10 minutes to fly 3 batteries before it was too dark and I couldnt see it. Great plane, however, the controller is CHEAP. I have broke the throttle stick twice and finally replaced the controller/electronics with an aftermarket one.
riverjunkyy is offline Find More Posts by riverjunkyy
Old May 19, 2008, 11:47 PM
Indianola Iowa
Joined Jan 2008
1,063 Posts
I Vote Super Cub Great Air Plane Learning on one Two.
Jerry
Sayers1 is offline Find More Posts by Sayers1
Old May 20, 2008, 12:57 AM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
My wife is jealous of my SC, but maybe one of these days she'll try it too. My grandson, age 4, is too young for thumb control, but can hardly wait.

The HZSC is a wonderful trainer, looks like a plane, flies like a plane, very durable and easy and cheap to fix. It's a great intro to RC with the least cost and hassle. It should be no problem for a 12 yr old who wants to fly. Better get one for yourself too; they come with different 27MHz channels so you can fly together .

I wish I had one 55yrs ago when I was 12 and struggling with control line glow models. At least now I get to be 12 again .

Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Last edited by Ickarusmelt; May 20, 2008 at 01:05 AM.
Old May 20, 2008, 04:11 AM
Western Pennsylvania
Joined Oct 2004
797 Posts
Oh well, I'll throw in my 2 cents and vote Super Cub. It's a hard plane to beat for the price. The Easy Star is another great plane and repairs are easy, but parts should you need them may have to be mail ordered.
Norm66 is offline Find More Posts by Norm66
Old May 20, 2008, 04:47 AM
Bout FOKKEN time!!
USA, MN, Anoka
Joined Nov 2007
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarusmelt
My wife is jealous of my SC, but maybe one of these days she'll try it too. My grandson, age 4, is too young for thumb control, but can hardly wait.

The HZSC is a wonderful trainer, looks like a plane, flies like a plane, very durable and easy and cheap to fix. It's a great intro to RC with the least cost and hassle. It should be no problem for a 12 yr old who wants to fly. Better get one for yourself too; they come with different 27MHz channels so you can fly together .

I wish I had one 55yrs ago when I was 12 and struggling with control line glow models. At least now I get to be 12 again .

Icky
I'm with Icky on this, stay away from glow !! (Tempermental, prop bites, old fuel blah..blah...)
I'm a cub junkie and my 12 yr old is doing just fine with it!! (weather permitting)
CR
charlierocks is offline Find More Posts by charlierocks
Old May 20, 2008, 03:50 PM
Joined Apr 2008
8 Posts
We have looked at the super cub. What about the slow stick?
Old May 20, 2008, 03:56 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,262 Posts
Super cub(i think) will take those not so perfect landings better than a S.S.will RTR
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old May 20, 2008, 04:38 PM
My Dorm Room is a Hangar
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2001
208 Posts
He may be smart but is he good at video games? Hand eye coordination is where it is at for planes.

Also, do you have any experienced R/C pilot in your area?

I started years ago on an Oly 2 glider. So I cant really comment on the newer beginner planes, but if you don't have anyone around to help I would go with the S.C. from what I have heard. Slow Stick is a little fragile. But if you had a more experienced pilot to help, I would say its completely within reason.
Thews is offline Find More Posts by Thews
Old May 20, 2008, 04:44 PM
Joined Apr 2008
8 Posts
Surprisingly, unlike a lot of kids, he really doesn't play video games that much.The only games he truly enjoys playing are flying games,but his hand-eye coordination is pretty good I'd say.
Old May 20, 2008, 05:17 PM
new pic, same plane....
Dayton MN
Joined Jan 2008
1,055 Posts
i am a 12 yr. old and the plane easiest for me to fly and learned to fly on is a firebird II from hobbyzone my uncle got one free but the equipment was busted and crap anyway so he gutted it and beveled the tail to allow full control, added regular equipment and it worked great very easy flight. if you could just find the parst(fuse,tail,etc.) it would be pretty cheap.
sketchanderase is offline Find More Posts by sketchanderase