SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 18, 2008, 12:34 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Discussion
RTR Rustler or Traxxas Emaxx

I'm 13. I'm on a very tight budget, but found some good deals.. They're all around the same price range. (Friends are giving me quite a deal!) They're pretty much stock... I want to just get some very good speed. (At LEAST 20-30 mph)
I want some jumps... (Have a bike ramp, that works nicely- About 50degree angle) I also want something, that won't get stuck in ~3-5inches of grass.... Something that has power, authority...

I know you guys are pro!

I've seen some youtube videos of insane Rustlers, but then again, they're RWD (2WD) which isn't the best in grass/dirt..

I've seen some youtube videos of slow EMaxxs (Stock), but they're AWD (4WD) which is awesome in grass/dirt

and I don't know much about the stampede at this point.

Remember, I'm a heli guy!

I might want to go get a EMaxx, and install a Novak Brushless 6.5 setup in it.. But, I don't know the prices (saw a video) or how to... Any info would be great.

EDIT:
Stampede is pushed out of the picture.. It was too fat
rawfuls is offline Find More Posts by rawfuls
Last edited by rawfuls; May 18, 2008 at 04:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2008, 02:07 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2007
385 Posts
im 17 and i have a ruster stampede and t-maxx 3.3 if you want to stock with either good speed or jumping/off-road capabilities i would count the stampede out. the rustler has good speed but not a good jumper (trust me). the t-maxx is similar to the e-maxx and it is awesome at mud, dirt, high grass, ROCK CLIMBING, and jumping for sure. if you decide to upgrade the rustler or e-maxx go with the velineon vxl brushless system. it makes my rustler do about 70mph with a 3s 8000mah lipo. i can't even imagine what that would do to an e-maxx, with dual vxl systems! i would go with the e-maxx much better investment and you will enjoy it more. GOOD LUCK
-JOSH-
toxic-trip is offline Find More Posts by toxic-trip
Old May 18, 2008, 02:27 PM
wisconsin
Joined Dec 2007
243 Posts
My daughter (13 yrs.old ) just got the Rustler and she loves it, it handles good, hugs the ground w/o the feel of tipping over and is VERY FAST for an RTR (7.4v 2000mAh). Btw, no more heli's?
jimzpsd is offline Find More Posts by jimzpsd
Old May 18, 2008, 03:33 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
toxic:

Yeah, I was looking at a stampede, it looks way to bulky, and looks like just for dirt amazers..

So now, it's the Rustler, or EMaxx...

I'm 13, so I have a bad budget... (If anyone has one PM ME!)

I think I will go with the EMaxx... I've seen the Novak 6.5, but don't know how much it costs to upgrade... How much does the velineon vxl brushless system cost? Is it remove, drop in, connect, drive?

I'm not much of a big fan of this stuff yet... I have the small battery packs like the 2S 7.4V 800-900 mAh lipos, and a nimh 8.4V 800mAh, and also a nicd 9.4V 900mAh...

So, toxic, if you can get me links for the novak system upgrade, AND the velneon that would be great, thanks.

jim: I was also looking at a rustler, but I will be driving a lot in the grass,a nd my grass (and the grass I usually drive on) has losts of little dirt holes, and my little RWD ($60 Hummer from Toys R Us... About 5 years old) gets stuck so much, I'm getting tired of it. Not to mention the slowpoke it is..

Yeah, I'm still into helis, just waiting for my mosfets to fix my HBFP's 4in1...

Anymore opinions would be great.. I'm still waiting for offers
Old May 18, 2008, 04:40 PM
Joined Jul 2007
219 Posts
emaxx is not that durable as the rustler and the novak hv cost about 250 dollars so i would rather suggest the rustler drop a mamba max on it and a 3s lipo that thing would be fast as hell
justeen_08 is offline Find More Posts by justeen_08
Old May 18, 2008, 05:07 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Ahhh, as I saw with just the speed controller on ebay for ~70 bucks...

I really want something 'off-road'...

EMaxx looks really nice though, looks like it can take quite a few hits.
Old May 18, 2008, 05:50 PM
My Rhino
Southern California
Joined Oct 2007
704 Posts
Well im thirteen and i had a jato and now have a losi 8ight but it think that a jato or a rustler could be very good for you
jjlaxdog is offline Find More Posts by jjlaxdog
Old May 18, 2008, 06:00 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Isn't the Jato nitro? I'm not really into nitro =/

I think I made up my mind.

Rustler, is insane.. I love it. Although, it's only 2WD (Stock is stupid fast)

I think the EMaxx would be better, due to durability (is it really?), and it's AWD (3-5in thick grass, and dirt trails all over my house)...

Also, I'm STILL open for opinions, so please, change my mind if it really is going to be for the best choice...

Brushless systems for the emaxx are starting around 200 bucks... nvm lol

So I guess this leaves rustler back open, as that thing is quite fast..

Does anyone have exactly accurate readings of both completely stock?

Are both of them equal? in durability?
What's so great about the EMaxx then the Rustler, and the rustler compared to the emaxx?
Last edited by rawfuls; May 18, 2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old May 18, 2008, 08:44 PM
wisconsin
Joined Dec 2007
243 Posts
keep in mind your "budget", an AWD will cost more to repair and upgrade. And once you find you have a car that can go thru 5" tall grass,.............big deal, so can my lawn tractor. Point is, you'll want to get out of the tall grass soon enough, and the Rustler will shine on dirt, carpet, pavement and an occasional sprint across someones lawn. Our Rustler was purchased for $154.99 (rtr) which leaves extra cash for mods./repairs. remember, think budget
jimzpsd is offline Find More Posts by jimzpsd
Old May 18, 2008, 09:17 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
I really hate you jim...
You made me change my mind... MEANIE

Can this "rustler" jump!? In air!?

No, but seriously, can it get some nice air from about a 50-70degree ramp?

Hmmm, I guess I gotta hide the rustler when my neighbors get home.. They just came over and wanted to drive the ol' gateway drug... The Hummer H2 2WD Old School By Nikko... They crashed it into the curb like 35x4 times...

Anywho, I'm taking that the Rustler can gain a bunch of air, and speed..

Jim:
Did you get your Rustler from towerhobbies?
Old May 18, 2008, 09:21 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Oh, also, why I was choosing the EMaxx, was because they were about the same price.. on eBay.. So, that's why I wasn't really talking budget before... But I just might have to order from towerhobbies... if one of my bids don't fall through
Old May 18, 2008, 10:02 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Okay, I've finally decided to get a Rustler...

I have lots of questions....

1. What kind of battery should I run, for a really fast car? (At least better than stock... a little?)

2. What kind of upgrades should I get? (I've seen: RPM A-Arms, RPM Wide Bumper, and a shock tower.... How do I install these!? ANYMORE!?)

3. Anything I should be aware of before I take the baby for the first drive? (When I get it of course)

Remember, I'm going to be using this rustler for: Jumps, speed around the dead end, and a little rough riding (maybe a few sprints across the lawn) Thanks!
Old May 19, 2008, 01:09 AM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2007
385 Posts
rawfuls honestly i loved my rustler for about 2 days then got bored of it, reasons; it is not durable when jumping (shocks blow open, shock towers snap, bottoms out), i drive on rocky terrain and thick grass also, the rustler cant climb rocks if its little life depended on it, and the grass is good for a couple feet then it just gets sucked in. it would be a smart choice to get the e-maxx. (i thnk $400) it might be expensive but it is worth it, stock it does about 5 mph more than the rustler, climbs rocks better, off-road better, grass better, and wheelies...H YES. and it would be about $800 to get brushless system and super batteries for brushless system. the brushless system is two motors, two batteries, and two esc (they really nice because it about a 15 minute time to change from stock to your brushless system) i honestly would stay with the e-maxx!!!!!!!! and when it comes to upgraded parts availability, rustler has about 3 upgradeable parts at ur local hobby shop, while e-maxx has over 50 upgrade parts at ur LHS. well either way you will have fun but i would stick with the e-maxx! -JOSH-
toxic-trip is offline Find More Posts by toxic-trip
Old May 19, 2008, 01:15 AM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
YOU GUYS ARE SO MEAN UGH

Okay, here's the deal..

I have a eBay auction on for a Rustler... For $xx.xx amount... Then there's this guy on craigslist, who MIGHT sell me his EMaxx..

If my rustler doesn't fall through on eBay, I'll be looking for a EMaxx... Of course, I can't afford retail price. >.<
Old May 19, 2008, 01:17 AM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Has anyone had BOTH? Completely stock, besides some bumper, and minor details (not effective of performance, jumps, etc)

Which one do you recommend? I will be doing some small grass/dirt riding. Some ramp jumps...