HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2008, 11:26 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2001
416 Posts
Discussion
Vario - No Sound & Dashboard Doesn't Accept Averaging Time

Bill / ETS / Anyone,

The vario on my Glide system produces no sound even with the climb rate trigger set low (80 ft/min). I'm not using energy compensation, so the vario should beep like crazy during launches but it's silent.

I've noticed that the Dashboard will not hold the averaging time programmed into it from the Win application, and I also can't enter an averaging value from the Dashboard itself (it keeps reverting back to 0.0) - Could that relate to the non-sound problem?

TIA for any assistance.
green66 is offline Find More Posts by green66
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2008, 03:18 PM
MaxiR, Sniper
Lansdale, PA, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,151 Posts
You might want to send this one to Eagle Tree directly on their contact email, you'll normally get a faster response that way, for technical questions that could be a hardware problem.
Cobra is offline Find More Posts by Cobra
Old May 20, 2008, 12:35 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,920 Posts
Hi Green66,

I would recommend the following steps. If these don't correct the problem, please email support@eagletreesystems.com for next steps:

1) Update to our latest software, located here:

http://eagletreesystems.com/LatestAp...beta/setup.exe

2) Connect your recorder to USB, update the firmware when prompted, and change your capture rate to 10 s/s (if not already)

3) Connect the dashboard to USB, update the firmware, and click on the Seagull Parameter page click "Reset", then display the parameters you desire. Make sure you display "Var" and "Alt" on the dashboard, at a minimum.

Let us know whether this corrects it!

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old May 20, 2008, 02:38 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2001
416 Posts
Hi Bill,

Thanks much for your help / suggestions. Here are the steps I took and findings:

Win application updated to latest (beta) version. FDR and Dash were already latest version; updated again anyway.
Still no vario function or ability to change vario avg'ing time.
Capture rate verified 10s/s. Reset dash parameters, activated only Alt and Vario functions. Left all vario options to defaults (no compensation, Netto, etc).
Vario function works, avg'ing time holds user setting, signal reception solid
Changed vario options: avg'ing time = 0.5, sink/climb triggers = 200/120, Netto on
Still working OK, solid signal
Added LiPo temperature and Rx LiPo voltage monitoring (via electric expander)
Still working OK, solid signal
Changed FDR capture rate to 1/s
No vario sound and signal frequently dropping out (relates to my other post regarding capture rate and signal reception)
Changed FDR back to 10/s
Vario function and signal reception restored.
It appears that resetting the Dash parameters cleared something that prevented the vario to function and the ability to set the avg'ing time.

It looks like a slow capture rate is still causing issues. Since I only record altitude data I can live with 10s/s.... but since my flight times are long I'd prefer a slower rate as there have been times I've run out of memory.

Side questions:

1) Does the FDR's LED indicate capture rate? At 1/s capture rate it flashes once with very long pauses between flashes.

2) How to adjust display contrast? Instructions say to remove the battery plate and turn the blue potentiometer next to the battery compartment. Oh little blue pot where are't thou?
Old May 21, 2008, 02:24 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,920 Posts
Hi Green66,

Ok, sounds like we've narrowed down the issue to capture rate. Can you let me know whether you have the 900 mhz or 2.4GHz Seagull? We will work on a repro here.

Yes, the LED indicates capture rate. Slower blinking means slower capture rate.

The contrast on the Dashboard is set optimally and is not adjustable. We used to had an adjustment, but it was not useful, and ended up causing many more problems that it solved. We failed to update some of the manuals, so I have just done this.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old May 21, 2008, 05:30 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2001
416 Posts
Quote:
Can you let me know whether you have the 900 mhz or 2.4GHz Seagull?
I have the 900 MHz system.