SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
 
Thread Tools
Old Jan 18, 2003, 03:12 PM
Barry
Guest
n/a Posts
bending balsa wood

hi there
I am making a simple rc sailboat and have run into a problem.
i have cut out the peices for the bottom and side and have found out
that I have to bend both peices to form the shape of the boat. The
problem is that it is almost impossible to bend , aply a cement , and
hold the pieces in the desired shape while the cement dryes. I have
found on the internet a way to so soften the balsa by applying a 50/50
mixture of ammoia and water. That would work great but, I want to do
most of the work at the Hobby shop i work at and i don't think the
mall owners would like the smell of ammonia drifting thought the mall.
Any ideas???
Old Jan 18, 2003, 06:37 PM
Edina Model Yacht Club
Bloomington MN
Joined Apr 2002
185 Posts
Standard Windex with ammonia has enough in it to do the job. A fifty-fifty mix is kinda strong anyway.
Soak the wood with Windex (just spray it on) then clamp the parts to the frame structure, rubber bands will work. leave it to dry, then glue it to the final shape. You cannot glue wet wood. The ammonia breaks down the wood cells allowing you to bend it, the bend acheived will not be exact, but close as it will spring back slightly in the drying process.

You must do both sides at the same time or you will warp the keel/frames during the drying/gluing process.
George Pfeifer is offline Find More Posts by George Pfeifer
Old Jan 18, 2003, 08:52 PM
BENJAMIN ENG
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: bending balsa wood

try heating moist wood with the type of iron r/c airplanes guys use to
apply monokote with


"Barry" <ve7ufp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:53aj2vgq6l4pmkeio1g5nu8vvstdho62t6@4ax.com...
> hi there
> I am making a simple rc sailboat and have run into a problem.
> i have cut out the peices for the bottom and side and have found out
> that I have to bend both peices to form the shape of the boat. The
> problem is that it is almost impossible to bend , aply a cement , and
> hold the pieces in the desired shape while the cement dryes. I have
> found on the internet a way to so soften the balsa by applying a 50/50
> mixture of ammoia and water. That would work great but, I want to do
> most of the work at the Hobby shop i work at and i don't think the
> mall owners would like the smell of ammonia drifting thought the mall.
> Any ideas???



Old Jan 18, 2003, 09:02 PM
Towboat Joe
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: bending balsa wood

The safest and best way is to let the balsa soak overnight in vinegar.
Next lay it on a towel and just dab a little so it won't have excess
run off. Either pin the balsa in place or use rubber band, anything to
take the basic shape of the bend and let it dry overnight. It should
dry and keep most of the bend so you should be able to glue it in
place.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 10:22 PM
Barry
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: bending balsa wood

GREAT
I WILL TRY IT AND LEAST THE GROUP KNOW WHAT HAPPENED
BARRY
On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 17:37:03 -0600, George Pfeifer
<George.Pfeifer.hh6vy@rcgroups.com> wrote:

>
>Standard Windex with ammonia has enough in it to do the job. A
>fifty-fifty mix is kinda strong anyway.
>Soak the wood with Windex (just spray it on) then clamp the parts to the
>frame structure, rubber bands will work. leave it to dry, then glue it
>to the final shape. You cannot glue wet wood. The ammonia breaks down
>the wood cells allowing you to bend it, the bend acheived will not be
>exact, but close as it will spring back slightly in the drying process.
>
>
>You must do both sides at the same time or you will warp the keel/frames
>during the drying/gluing process.


Old Jan 19, 2003, 03:22 PM
Allan
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: bending balsa wood

Or very hot water and sok it then dab off once wet through. Or steam. or a
crimper.

All will work dependent on size of the balsa.
"Barry" <ve7ufp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:53aj2vgq6l4pmkeio1g5nu8vvstdho62t6@4ax.com...
> hi there
> I am making a simple rc sailboat and have run into a problem.
> i have cut out the peices for the bottom and side and have found out
> that I have to bend both peices to form the shape of the boat. The
> problem is that it is almost impossible to bend , aply a cement , and
> hold the pieces in the desired shape while the cement dryes. I have
> found on the internet a way to so soften the balsa by applying a 50/50
> mixture of ammoia and water. That would work great but, I want to do
> most of the work at the Hobby shop i work at and i don't think the
> mall owners would like the smell of ammonia drifting thought the mall.
> Any ideas???




Old Jan 20, 2003, 12:32 AM
Jim McLaughlin
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: bending balsa wood

Interesting to see the range of approaches.

George Pfeifer suggests using diluted ammonia.

IIRC correctly, that is a base or alkaline solution.

Towboat Joe suggests vinegar, a diluted acetic acid, IIRC.

Looks like the idea is to move one way or the other on the pH scale off
of the "neutral" 7.0 point of water so as to accelerate partial breakdown
of cell / cell wall structure.

It will be interesting to see which works more efficiently.

Lord knows that to me the smell of a good cider or red wine or balsamic
vinegar is a lot more pleasing than the smell of ammonia.


"Towboat Joe" <jbrown@dragg.net> wrote in message
news:59f016ae.0301181649.b67e163@posting.google.co m...
> The safest and best way is to let the balsa soak overnight in vinegar.
> Next lay it on a towel and just dab a little so it won't have excess
> run off. Either pin the balsa in place or use rubber band, anything to
> take the basic shape of the bend and let it dry overnight. It should
> dry and keep most of the bend so you should be able to glue it in
> place.



Old Jan 20, 2003, 01:02 AM
Barry
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: bending balsa wood

Hi guys
Just finished bending the balsa. I used the WINDEX method. what I
ended up doing is makeing formes in the shape that i needed to bend
the balsa in. I then soaked the balsa sheets with windex, then I
clamped the peices to the form. Right now they are still in the
forms ,I am not sure now long to leave them in the clamps. I have
rewet the one peice to make sure that the shape will take. Because
there are only three peices to bend , i felt that it was a nessary
step to take in maaking the forms.Any ways with the forms I can make
more of these boats any time.
barry
On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 12:22:46 -0000, "Allan"
<allan.shillitto@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Or very hot water and sok it then dab off once wet through. Or steam. or a
>crimper.
>
>All will work dependent on size of the balsa.
>"Barry" <ve7ufp@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:53aj2vgq6l4pmkeio1g5nu8vvstdho62t6@4ax.com.. .
>> hi there
>> I am making a simple rc sailboat and have run into a problem.
>> i have cut out the peices for the bottom and side and have found out
>> that I have to bend both peices to form the shape of the boat. The
>> problem is that it is almost impossible to bend , aply a cement , and
>> hold the pieces in the desired shape while the cement dryes. I have
>> found on the internet a way to so soften the balsa by applying a 50/50
>> mixture of ammoia and water. That would work great but, I want to do
>> most of the work at the Hobby shop i work at and i don't think the
>> mall owners would like the smell of ammonia drifting thought the mall.
>> Any ideas???

>
>


 


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
balsa wood quality graham_mca Electric Plane Talk 8 Feb 08, 2008 03:14 PM
Balsa wood construction brimann77 Fuel Plane Talk 3 Sep 17, 2002 07:55 AM
Quality Balsa Wood Source? Bob81 Electric Plane Talk 7 May 21, 2002 11:00 PM
Yippee! P-51D Mustang balsa wood seafire Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Feb 24, 2002 12:40 PM
Painting balsa wood fuse and tail feathers WITHOUT adding a TON! John Gallagher Electric Sailplanes 4 Jul 23, 2001 03:31 PM