HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2008, 09:25 AM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
296 Posts
Discussion
Wing fence for Cessna 210, Ember&Citabria

Experimented by adding stall, wing fences to my Cessna 210 and Ember. I used 3mm Cellfoam for the fences. Tried different positions, slid the fences, to arrive at what I believe are the optimum positions for the two aircraft. The Ember fence is closer to the tip of the wing and the Cessna is even with the end of the horizontal stabilizer. The fence does not need to be glued in position.

Helps to reduce the stall speed and quicken stall recovery. Both seem to handle better in more wind. I am happy.

Will try the fence on the Citabria next. Also, am looking at different shapes and heights for the fences. As I am not an aeronautical engineer, I would ask for expert opinions and advice.
twoplanekid is offline Find More Posts by twoplanekid
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2008, 05:54 AM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
296 Posts
It has been two windy in Ohio to try any more experimentation until this morning. Put a smaller wing fence on the Ember. It did not seem to improve performance.

So, I went with the larger on the outside and the smaller towards the middle of the wing. Wow! Can now fly in a 10X 10 space and the Ember looks cool too!

Again, there are no permanent modifications to the wing. Just slip on the stall fences that can be removed anytime.
Old May 20, 2008, 08:18 AM
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Oct 2005
598 Posts
I don't know what to think about your fences. I thought the planes flew great the way they were. I'm trying to keep my planes light but I guess I could try it and see for myself. Your Ember looks blue in that picture. I think it is just your camera but it looks cool anyway.
Ched is offline Find More Posts by Ched
Old May 20, 2008, 08:56 AM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
296 Posts
I fly and test and then fly and test. This is probably as close as I will ever get to a Chuck Yeager. All changes to the Ember are removable so that it is easy to test other concepts. Now working on the tail for better control and easier stall recovery.

Unlike Chuck, my wife & work only allow me about 1/2 hour of testing per day if the winds calm down in Ohio.
Old May 21, 2008, 07:45 AM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
296 Posts
Getting close to having my Vapor mod finished for the Ember. The Ember should fly almost as slowly as the Vapor even though it weights 50% more.

Takes two minutes to remove mod from the Ember as nothing is glued in place. May still make some size and shape changes before finalizing design.

So, for about two dollars in materials you can almost fly like a Vapor.

Also love to fly my 1946 J-3 Cub low and slow.
Old May 21, 2008, 08:08 AM
Joined Jan 2005
489 Posts
Spoken as a real pilot!!!! That is the fun of micro rc. You can make mods and test fly them as the pilot. Trying different airfoils---fences---leading edge slats---turbolators--- This is the real fun for me trying ideas and then being the test pilot!!!!!
flybob1 is offline Find More Posts by flybob1
Old May 24, 2008, 10:06 AM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
296 Posts
Still canít fly the Ember at a Vapor speed. The best that I have been able to slow to is the speed of a quick walk. Flaps help but also add to the power requirements. Trying to fly slow at low power settings.

Changed the fixed slat shape to look like the ones on the 156 Storch. As I donít use glue or tape, can still easily change everything. Trying to modify the Ember without making permanent changes.
Old May 25, 2008, 04:14 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
how about a video!
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Old May 25, 2008, 09:22 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
296 Posts
I am getting closer all the time to my final design goals. Just need to incrementally refine the shapes and sizes of what I now have on the Ember. If I cheat a little by flying into a 1 or 2 knot wind, I can walk beneath the Ember as it flies above my head.

Today, I flew inside the hanger that houses the Grimes Flying Lab Beech 18. Roger Deere, restoration division chief at the National Museum of the Air Force and leader of the restoration of the Flying Lab, was impressed by how slow if flew. He was even more impressed by the modification after he watched me fly the Ember in the hanger without the mods.

Should I have the best materials laser cut to the proper shapes and then sell them as a kit for $10 to $15 like Bill and others do for minium planes? I believe that many people do not have the time or skills to make the parts on there own. Yet, I am sure that these same people would love the benefits of flying so slow. It only takes two minutes or less to put the parts on or off the Ember.

What do your think?

And yes, I will try to have a video taken of one of my flights even though I canít come close to those great videos of that super flying DC-3 by meatbomber.
Last edited by twoplanekid; May 26, 2008 at 05:43 AM.
Old May 27, 2008, 07:42 AM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
296 Posts
Where is the video? I will have the video of both the Ember & the Citabria in slow flight soon! The Citabria requires a little bit more power and flies a little more nose high than the Ember in very slow flight.

The Citabria uses the same configuration as the Ember except for a piece on the tail. It will slow up to Ember slow flight ground speed.
Last edited by twoplanekid; May 27, 2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old May 30, 2008, 09:47 AM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
296 Posts
The Ember video is slowwwly here, I hope. Thanks to my wife who took the video. Low & slow !!!

RC Ember with mods (2 min 1 sec)
Last edited by twoplanekid; May 30, 2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old May 30, 2008, 08:35 PM
Heli Crasher
CT
Joined Jan 2008
705 Posts
Cool!
bassplayinDude is offline Find More Posts by bassplayinDude
Old May 30, 2008, 08:40 PM
I am the robot of pop...
Lake Chargogagogmanchaugagogchubunagungamaug, Webster, MA
Joined Jan 2008
1,223 Posts
excellent work!!! youve given me a reason to re-think slats as a genaral concept....

thanks for the info!!!
iamtheroboto is offline Find More Posts by iamtheroboto
Old May 31, 2008, 11:15 PM
basement racer
Kansas City
Joined Nov 2006
38 Posts
If you removed all of the stickers and used tape instead of the battery tray you could save over a gram. That alone I believe will allow you to fly much slower.
k4rma is offline Find More Posts by k4rma
Old Jun 04, 2008, 08:17 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
296 Posts
Always trying something different in my quest for slow flight with the Ember. I added a second wing with a slight stagger, upper wing forward, like the Fokker D.VII. If another battery, weight, is secured to the first battery, it flies almost as slow as the wing fence and slat equipped Ember.

Next, I will try the upper wing inversely staggered behind the lower as found on the Beech model 17.

Note:no stickers