HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2008, 09:26 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
I got a little bit bored and decided to play around with my original 4#3.
Now she has the brushless motor
4#3B metal head upgrade
Aluminium boom 1/2 inch longer than standard
Little boom supports
64#C1 canopy cut down a bit
Walkera 52 skids cut down about an inch
and a metal flybar too
It looks a little better now,but the tail is wagging like crazy on a full battery pack.
I might change it all around again tomorrow.
Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2008, 02:17 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
It was a little heavy with the yellow canopy on it,So I fitted the standard one again.
Old Jun 09, 2008, 08:36 PM
wish I was here
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2008
31 Posts
Hey Jason they look great, I like the possible new tail boom pic

What brushless parts did you use and what's the best place to get them from?

I put everything I learnt about the new 4#3B setup into a guide with pictures, thanks for the help, it's finally flying well now
Walkera 4#3B, TBE and unstable, what to do, how to fix it? with Setup Guide

Marc
marcwolf is offline Find More Posts by marcwolf
Old Jun 09, 2008, 09:54 PM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjetski
Hi Ampdraw,
I just called into a hobby shop and couldn't find any 2.5mm carbon tube,so I got some 3.5mm tube,but I just got home and the I.D. is about 2.3mm. The standard boom squeezes in there.I will just hang onto it for boom patch ups.
I got a length of aluminium tube that is the the correct O.D.
I fitted the aluminium boom and made it a little longer to help with my tail drift problem.
See the picture attached.
Something tells me it might be a little long though.
Jason

P.S. Iam joking about the boom length. Iam going to cut it in half...Hehe
Jason,
Has to be the longest 4#3 i've seen would make for some interesting specs. Try sorting out tail wag on that baby... I had pretty bad tail wag when I was running 6mm longer al boom. I didn't persist in fixing as didn't seem that much stiffer than original. Thinking about getting 52 landing gear for Gaui as spare as Gaui's apparently break quite easy haven't broken them yet though.

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Last edited by Ampdraw; Jun 10, 2008 at 02:36 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2008, 11:20 PM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw
Jason,
Has to be the longest 4#3 i've seen would make for some interesting specs. Try sorting out tail wag on that baby... I had pretty bad tail wag when I was running 6mm longer al boom. I didn't persist in fixing as didn't seem that much stiffer than original. Thinking about getting 52 landing gear for Gaui as spare as Gaui's apparently break quite easy haven't broken them yet though.
Amp
Amp
I have had 52 and gaui--

52 l/g is even worse than gaui's

mk
microkites is offline Find More Posts by microkites
Old Jun 10, 2008, 02:35 AM
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microkites
I have had 52 and gaui--

52 l/g is even worse than gaui's

mk
Thanks mk
Saves me going down that avenue.
Amp
Old Jun 10, 2008, 03:02 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
thanks guys,
The 52 landing gear would look nice,but just don't look at them the wrong way or they will break one of their own legs.
I was reading somewhere where someone said if you boil the plastic parts in water for about half an hour.they say it makes the part more flexible for a few months.
Has anyone else heard about this?
Whoever it was that wrote it said they would do it to their plastic propellers to make them flexi.
My aluminium boom had heaps of tail wagging going on,but after I put a bit of super glue on the boom supports,it went away.
It flies really nice now.The blue skids look cool I think.I cheated with them and just stuck them to the side of the original skids with heat shrink.
I can't wait to get my new 2.4ghz receiver from terence because the glitches on the v1 are driving me nuts.
I need to have the aerial hanging right down and even then it will go stupid in one certain part of my living room.The crazy little bird!
Now my B has one servo that decides to have a rest in mid flight.The servo wont move again until I turn the heli off and move the servo manually and then reset it.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Jason
Old Jun 10, 2008, 03:33 AM
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Quote:
thanks guys,
The 52 landing gear would look nice,but just don't look at them the wrong way or they will break one of their own legs.
I was reading somewhere where someone said if you boil the plastic parts in water for about half an hour.they say it makes the part more flexible for a few months.
Whoever it was that wrote it said they would do it to their plastic propellers to make them flexi.
My aluminium boom had heaps of tail wagging going on,but after I put a bit of super glue on the boom supports,it went away.
It flies really nice now.The blue skids look cool I think.I cheated with them and just stuck them to the side of the original skids with heat shrink.
I can't wait to get my new 2.4ghz receiver from terence because the glitches on the v1 are driving me nuts.
I need to have the aerial hanging right down and even then it will go stupid in one certain part of my living room.The crazy little bird!
Now my B has one servo that decides to have a rest in mid flight.The servo wont move again until I turn the heli off and move the servo manually and then reset it.
Jason
Jason,
I had a similar servo issue on Gaui with cheapish mx306bb I think they are called. I had taken off horn to tweak angles for a better setup for when I have the guts to go inverted and when putting horn on excessive pressure of fat thumbs made servo bind in one spot. I carefully prised up horn off servo with a flat blade and shim to reduce damage and servo works fine now. The prising actually moved central internals of servo up not just the horn as I had retaining screw done up.
Amp
Old Jun 10, 2008, 07:19 AM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
Quote:
thanks guys,
Jason

sounds like a gear is catching-take apart servo and see

rotate damaged gear so it doesnt catch-lubricate servo gears while you are in there

mk
Old Jun 10, 2008, 07:35 AM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
new thread-please help

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877509

this might be better a panel of 4#3 experts I am trying to form

mk
Last edited by microkites; Jun 10, 2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: differant thread
Old Jun 10, 2008, 03:49 PM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Thanks MK,
I will take it apart tonight and have a look at it.
Terence is sending me some that I ordered last week,so I can fit one of them if I break it.
Regards Jason.
P.S. The new thread will be just what we need to put all the good stuff in one place. good work.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 04:35 AM
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microkites
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877509

this might be better a panel of 4#3 experts I am trying to form

mk
Good idea. Hope it takes off...pardon the pun. Going there now.
Amp
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:03 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,664 Posts
Quote:
I finally got the old 4#3 v1 all trimmed nice with the metal upgrade.It is almost as stable as the B.
I just received my 4#3B this week and it's sweeeet!

I have all of the parts to do the metal upgrade on my 4#3, but I'm having a bit of a problem getting the main gear off of the stock main rotor shaft so I can do the upgrade. Does anyone have any suggestions on an easy way to remove the pin.?

This is what I've been working on.
1Hammer is online now Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Last edited by 1Hammer; Jun 11, 2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:19 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer

I have all of the parts to do the metal upgrade on my 4#3, but I'm having a bit of a problem getting the main gear off of the stock shaft so I can do the upgrade. Do you have any suggestions on an easy way to do this.?

Get a pair of narrow beaked pliers with one beak over one end of the pin and other beak on far side of gear just above pin and then gently squese untill pin is pushed flat to gear - there will then be enough pin sticking out of other side to be able to hold and remove with beak of pliers.

Hope this helps.....David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:24 PM
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer

I have all of the parts to do the metal upgrade on my 4#3, but I'm having a bit of a problem getting the main gear off of the stock shaft so I can do the upgrade. Do you have any suggestions on an easy way to remove the pin.?

Some people had this issue with V1 some didn't. Original pin is tapered ie smaller at one end so push out in right direction. I pushed mine out with end of tiny pliers enough to grab and replaced with longer non tapered pin as friction keeps in place. More info in 4#3 Discussion part 1 thread. Hope helps
Amp