SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:01 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
Well, there was a little break in the weather this morning so I thought I'd thake a chance and give my newly repaired Hoten a test flight, #16 Camera with the D lens. It was still a bit gusty out and as soon as I got a little height, it was getting blown away from me so the video is short and simple flying as I didn't want to destroy my repaired Hoten. It's very interesting how the #16 camera deals with the direct sunlight through the spinning rotors...pretty cool, it doesn't seem to screw it up very much if at all.

Hoten-X Aerial Video Test (2 min 24 sec)

Regards,
John
1Hammer is offline Find More Posts by 1Hammer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:44 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi John,

Prospero Ano Nuevo!

...if I don't specifically look for this thread, it gets buried.
Sorry I missed this.
Very cool. I won't whine about what I can't do...I can fly vicariously thru you....

I noticed the "effect" of the sunlight before I read the whole post. It is interesting. The scan rate and motor RPM getting close and accented by the strobe sunlight....educated guess

My park provides near as much area...but not too many places to crash "softly"
....remember the 4#6 moth vid of me bouncing it in the rocks and dirt?
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:32 PM
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing well in this new year.

Bill, how you doing with the cold? Hope your stove/fireplace is in working order.

The weather here has not been conducive to flying but I'm hoping to get some air time soon...really want to play with the aerial video some more.

Before Christmas I picked up a barebone Scorpion from Terence, thought this might work for experimenting with FPV...that's going to be my focus this year. Of course I had to install some lights, finally finished them up this weekend. I used eight 1.8mm Ultrabright LED's and I must say they are BRIGHT.

Here are a few pictures. I hope to post some video soon.

Regards,
John
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:54 PM
Jesus Freak
Southern CA
Joined Oct 2008
3,209 Posts
I'm liking that looks good
AtTheCross is offline Find More Posts by AtTheCross
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:26 PM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
that as looking awesome as usual!

waiting on a socket from hobbyking to instal the lights on my ladybird. want to be able to unplug them in the day time

trying to learn to fly my ladybird with th magic cube right now. has no dual rates on it, so twice as squirelly, coupled with touch screen, makes for learning how to fly it all over again. too nasty out over here for outdoor flights.

hope everyone is doing well!
my outdoor sales are obviously slow this time of year, so working on getting my online aspect up and running

mk
microkites is offline Find More Posts by microkites
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:05 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,
We survived the cold. It wasn't terribly comfy. No broken pipes. It hit single digits one night and was in the teens for 3. Too cold for my blood. Had to put a fan in the "furnace room" to help. Essentially, the wood stove is outside the house.

I expanded the garden. Made a raised bed. It all started as a "I gotta do something with all these rocks"....so I scraped the topsoil off and replaced it with rock. 15ft later, I have a walkway paved with rock and a raised bed. I corrected some drainage probs at the same time. The old raised bed had sluffed to a point it was trapping runoff from the roof....so that got fixed . This is sort of a prototype project for utilizing one thing we have plenty of...rocks. Turned a problem into a resource.

Does the Scorpion have a differential rudder or a servo that turns the motors? It looks fast. How's she go?

tripped over a B'day Sat...58. Surprised I made it this long. We have a 40yr class reunion this year. I saw the list of folks that won't be....scary. A lot of my old school buddies have passed...and I thought a lot of them were healthier than me.

been trying to help a guy with his 4#3B. That bugger had a few tricks....and we, Sketch and a couple of other "old timers" were trying to help with his rudder/tail....

regards,
Bill
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:23 PM
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
MK, I'm really looking forward to seeing our Ladybird "Light-Up".

Bill, Happy Birthday! I've got 5 years on you and not to be a downer but I feel as though I've aged 15 years in the last 5...must be the 35 years in construction finally taking it's toll on my body. Glad you've at least survived the cold so far. The Scorpion isn't that sophisticated...it's just six motors spinning independently, see picture below.

The weather finally allowed me to get some more aerial video with my Hoten-X. The wind is ALWAYS bad here but a few times a year it's bearable.

It's nice to be able to walk out the driveway and fly some in the neighborhood. As you can see even as calm as it seems at street level as soon as I get up about 100 feet or so the wind starts to kick it around.

Nothing fancy, just trying to get some altitude to see what kind of video I get without destroying anything.

Hoten Aerial Video 3 (3 min 3 sec)

Regards,
John
Last edited by 1Hammer; Jan 17, 2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:24 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
I see...
It's just like a quad's rudder...one set, CW or CCW speed up...is it any more responsive on the rudder?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:48 PM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Hi Guys,
Happy new year.
I hope you are all doing well.
Bill,I wish we had a bit of that cool temperature here at the moment. We just hit 44*C at my work today and I believe it has hit 47*C at some places in Sydney. The A/C is awesome here at home.
Happy Birthday Bill. I hope you got spoilt.
In March,I have my 30 year school reunion. It should be interesting. I am thinking everyone will be a lot older than they were at school.
John, The Hoten looks great! and the video work is awesome.
Iam hoping to get a GoPro 3 as soon as they are back in stock again. They have been sold out everywhere since early December. After that I will start looking into getting a larger quad.
Hi MK, I hope you are doing well. You need to post your Sasquatch pic here.
Regards Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:28 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi Jason,
We had 44` for a week...as a high, that's F though....frost on the windows of the house in the AM.
My 40yr class reunion is this year. I know I haven't aged too badly...if you except the "silver fox". No "salt and pepper" any more, thank God. I like being all grey, even my beard. If I let it grow out, I look like an anorexic Santa.
...like John just said, these past few years....me, too John.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:34 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,
Just stopped by to say I'm still kicking. The cold went and came and is supposed to be away for a week. Hope that's not the Chamber of Commerce giving the forecast...it just happens that the Gem and Mineral Show is on for this weekend.

regards,
Bill
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:42 PM
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
Hi all,
I'm still here too and hope everyone is doing well.

We had about 4 days in a row with temps hovering in the -2C range, that's pretty cold for us here on the coast.

Haven't had much time to play with the Hoten but hope to get some more aerial video soon. Really looking forward to playing with FPV.

Saw an interesting article today regarding the British army's deployment of mini-drones. They're 10cm x 2.5cm and weigh 16 grams with full motion video and stills. I wonder how long it's going to be before the government starts limiting availability of some components that we're using for our hobby purposes...just thinking out loud.

Regards,
John
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:53 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi John,
Weather has been fresh here, too. Snow Saturday and yesterday. Still got frozen stuff on the ground this AM. Crunchy...not snowball material.
Working at the bowling alley for a few weekends. They're hosting a tournament and the want me around...
.I can use the $$$$. Maybe even make a parts order. I was noticing Terrence has HP08's for $18 ea if you buy 2 and I NEED a couple XP07 ESCs to get me in the air.

Still mentally working on the BLUFO. I think much longer booms, like about twice as long as the standard, will stop the wobble by making the boom end move more before the gyros correct...Effectively desensitizing it....that's the theory and works on paper.

the govt watches us pretty closely. I don't now about them limiting parts, because they can steal so many good ideas if they don't. We have some very creative folks around here.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:00 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi ll,
Hope y'all got something nice planned for your sweeties.

I was telling Tracy I would like to fix some fish....salmon
she says,"We have a can in the pantry, you don't need to go to the store".
"....'a can in the pantry' is exactly why I need to go to the store"....

finally getting my brakes done. Things got put off as the guy works, more or less, outside. I bought all the parts and he is charging me $70 to do both axles. And he is a competent mechanic. rove me home when I dropped the car off...it helps that he is local. All new part.....rotors/pads, drums, shoes and wheel cylinders. Then an oil change, air filter and I could make a cross country trip w/o basic mechanical worry...

I am pretty happy. Like a kid---giddy
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:48 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,
Just checkin in.Hope everyone is/are well.

Who sez Ma Nature doesn't nave sense of humour.
Pro golf tourney and the Tucson Rodeo are on