SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:40 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,

John,
You're up to your usual showcase work. You do amazing detailing. I never expect less, but you always surpass my expectations.

My back allowed me to get up and about a little. Found out the local postmaster has closed my box because of my inability to get the 3 pieces of first class mail I get/month.

may take some gyrations to settle this GRRRRR!
wife and I went out and cut some wood yesterday....at her insistence. I'm paying for that this AM...but she's happy and we are expecting cold [60`F high Sat and Sun]

today is our anniversary...
....I think.
Seems like forever and just yesterday. Had plans, until the postmaster sent $300 back....so Plan B. Chicken enchiladas and chocolate cake....and maybe a bottle of fizzy cider. No alcohol in this house.

regards,
Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:56 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,671 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks for your compliments...I guess I'm just a little AR when it comes to detail.

After being away from this great hobby for almost ONE year , I've found my way back and I'm very happy! The time away gave me a new appreciation of how much I love this great hobby and the people who share my passion. When I saw the Ladybird I couldn't resist and I'm glad for it...she's a sweet little bird!

With the Ladybird, the quad bug really got me. When Terence had a special BNF deal for the Hoten-X at $195.00 shipped, I couldn't resist. Received it last Saturday and was able to hover it on my front deck yesterday...what fun. The Hoten is easily the largest heli I've flown and it's amazing. I took it to a near by golf course this morning where I know the owner and head pro. I launched it off the practice putting green in front of the pro shop and flew up around the first hole with about 15 or 20 golfers watching from the first tee and the edges of the practice green, my LZ as it were. This was the first time I was able to really FLY the Hoten-X and she was a blast! When I was bringing her back in, the upper level wind kind of picked her so I had to really bring her back in and down quite rapidly. She was moving extremely fast downward and toward me, just as it got about shoulder high I hit the throttle and flared it so it dropped right at my feet. The crowd gasped and the everyone was amazed and impressed.

I was actually amazed and impressed myself...when that sucker got down below the upper level wind, it was really moving. I acted as though I planned it that way.

mk, if you have a Ladybird, I'll send you a light set for it. I'm still testing so you can me one of my guinea pigs.

Jason, glad to hear your relationship is going well. You just need to make it less of a "long distance" relationship. I know you're fairly young but traveling so far to be with your lovely lady will take it's toll over time, at least that's been my experience.

Bill, congratulations on your anniversary! Sorry to hear about your back, I've been there and it's no fun. Hope you get feeling better soon and I'd like to see some pics of your progress on the house so far.

Oh and by the way, I have a couple of #16 V2 HD cameras on the way to do some ariel video with the Hoten...should be fun.

Regards,
John
1Hammer is offline Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:42 PM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
woo hoo!

would love one of your light sets for my LB!

would be glad to pay you whatever you ask- your work is well worth it!

the LB is my re-intro into hobby again after about a year away also. such a treat to fly!

and I havent flown it in the unstable mode yet either- no room to practice flipping it yet with the rain here.

but such a wonderful flyer. am curious if anyone has done a bl conversion yet? bet you could make a little rocket these days!

love the tininess of the LB. makes perfect portable flyer.

I am thinking about getting the magic cube for my android phone- then would be the most portable heli ever.

anyone here used one yet?

mk
microkites is offline Find More Posts by microkites
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:43 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,
John,
The back is just getting worse with age.. took a bad fall 15yrs ago and it's baaaaaack. Bouts are getting more frequent. whine whine whine

My heli stuff is still pretty scattered, but is moving toward a central location. Got a bench...need to get electricity to the bench and a shop light. I may be able to enter the arena, again.

Taking care of a couple of sick geriatric cats. Something similar to Rhinovirus, but doesn't respond to the same meds...
Shots, pills, and NOSE DROPS...and OH, isn't that just the most fun you've heard of, in a while....

regards,
Bill
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:15 PM
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Vaca View Post
Hi all,
John,
The back is just getting worse with age.. took a bad fall 15yrs ago and it's baaaaaack. Bouts are getting more frequent. whine whine whine

My heli stuff is still pretty scattered, but is moving toward a central location. Got a bench...need to get electricity to the bench and a shop light. I may be able to enter the arena, again.

Taking care of a couple of sick geriatric cats. Something similar to Rhinovirus, but doesn't respond to the same meds...
Shots, pills, and NOSE DROPS...and OH, isn't that just the most fun you've heard of, in a while....

regards,
Bill
Hi Bill,

Yeah, back problems are NO fun! In my 35 years in construction, I've been working on scaffolding that collapsed twice. In one of them the guy working next to me was never able to work again...I guess I'm pretty lucky but my back is pretty screwed up. I'm really sorry you're having problems, when your back is bad, it difficult to do anything including sleep.

Regarding the cats, we lost our oldest a few months ago at 20, luckily he was pretty healthy until he just died of old age one night. We have one other 18 year old cat that is getting less stable as time goes on...it's never easy.

Hope you get feeling better soon.

Regards,
John
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:29 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
just being around here is really going a long way to making me "feel" better.

thx
Bill
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:55 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,
John, I remember looking at the Hoten and it's 2s
BL? Very nice if it is!
...and the LB....much better than the #8? Ya think the props can be run DD on the #8? I'd love to get rid of the gearboxes and I wonder if the BLUFO can be resurrected using these props?!?!?
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:57 PM
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Vaca View Post
Hi all,
John, I remember looking at the Hoten and it's 2s
BL? Very nice if it is!
...and the LB....much better than the #8? Ya think the props can be run DD on the #8? I'd love to get rid of the gearboxes and I wonder if the BLUFO can be resurrected using these props?!?!?
Hi Bill,

Yes the Hoten is 2s and BL, it's a very sweet quad but it's big compared to what I'm used to flying...takes a little getting used to but it's a hell of a lot of fun.

As far as the Ladybird props on the UFO#8, I don't think they'd have enough lift. The Ladybird is quite a bit smaller than the #8.

I agree with you from your previous post, spending time here makes me feel better as well. Hope your back improves soon.

Regards,
John
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:28 PM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
yikes! I didnt realize the Hoten was that much bigger! was looking at it. never mind- too big for me!

with me, its not my back, (though that can be pretty painful at times), but my feet. always been a walker/ hiker/ climber, and I broke my arch in 3 places- and worked on it for 6 months, not knowing it was broken! its pretty much healed a few years ago, but my foot sometimes decides to stop working and swell up at random. no fun when you dont drive at all! but age makes every injury you ever had come back to haunt you.

getting old sucks. sure hoping they find the cure for it while I can still use it!

Mk
microkites is offline Find More Posts by microkites
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:40 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
I keep recalling my grandmother's words, "Life's grand, if you don't weaken".

Are the LB motors the same ones used on the #8? The LB is smaller and lighter. How much of that is the smaller batt. It uses a 20c250mAh? I seem to recall getting my #8 down to ~30gm

regards,
Bill
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:44 PM
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,671 Posts
The LB and #8 motor cans are the same size but the shaft on the LB motor is longer for installing the DD props.

I'm using Hyperion 240mAh 25C's with Dean's that weigh 8.12 grams. The battery I used with the #8 weighs 12.0 grams.

Regards,
John
Last edited by 1Hammer; Nov 08, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:27 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi John,
Thanks. The LB comes with a 25c240 stock? You don't have an AUW or ballpark for the LB.
I know the #8 was 40gm with the 400mAh batt...
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:09 PM
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,671 Posts
No, I had a few Hyperion 240mAh 25C's on hand so just wired them up...fit perfectly and good flight time. I'm not sure what the flight time is because I use the telemetry function on my Devo 10. I set the Devo to alarm, tone and vibrate, when the voltage of the LiPo on the LB gets to 3.7V. More than enough time for me to fly in one session.

My LB, converted to Dean's with the Hyperion 240mAh 25C and my 9-LED light kit equals a flying weight of 35.25 grams.

Regards,
John
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:35 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
thanks, John.
I'll have to get a set of props and try 'em. I wonder if the windings in the LB motors are the same as the #8
Our warm weather is coming to a screeching halt this weekend.
It won't make it to 60 Sun. Almost that nice Sat....wind, rain and 65 for a high and I have to go to the Drs. ...in Tucson. What a fun day.
Oh well. Won't be able to do anything outdoors anyway...so
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:14 AM
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,671 Posts
Yeah, it is pretty cool here this morning and we should have some rain by noon. Unfortunately not a lot though...we really need it.

I don't know if the LB motors are wound the same as the #8 or not. I'll have to dig around in my parts box and see if I have a spare #8 motor to pull apart and look at.

Regards,
John