Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:48 PM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Vaca View Post
No help here...I played with Amp's sim when I visited. Only time I had with one...sorry
no sweat, Bill
microkites is offline Find More Posts by microkites
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2011, 03:24 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hey MK,
You REALLY want a Genius. I mean REALLY WANT one.This is just what we've been wanting. I've crashed soooo many times I lost count and the only thing that I've broken is the canopy. The spur gear pops off on impact once in a while. Not even a chipped blade.
I'm about to try some stupid things, because I believe the heli will survive my incompetence.

regards,
Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Oct 16, 2011, 03:45 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,664 Posts
Quote:
Hey MK,
You REALLY want a Genius. I mean REALLY WANT one.This is just what we've been wanting. I've crashed soooo many times I lost count and the only thing that I've broken is the canopy. The spur gear pops off on impact once in a while. Not even a chipped blade.
I'm about to try some stupid things, because I believe the heli will survive my incompetence.

regards,
Bill
Hi all,

Don't be too stupid Bill. I'm in the process of replacing the tail fin/motor holder, motor & tail rotor on my first Genius. I think the tail is a bit susceptible to damage.

While I have #1 apart I'm converting to main brushless and installing position lights for low light flight. I was able to get tail light wires inside the tail boom with the tail motor wires, it was a tight fit but will make a very clean installation.

Regards,
John
1Hammer is offline Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:09 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi John,
No, I'm not gonna get too stupid. I'm having a bunch of fun just buzzing around. I am amazed at how sturdy the little bugger is.

I think I have a tail size motor or two that can be stripped and two sets of x-wing motors for the main...if I choose to not go BL.

regards,
Bill
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:38 PM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
Quote:
Hey MK,

regards,
Bill
lol
I know I really want one- but if it is either heli or rent, I must choose rent sadly

1hammer- I am happy if the 4in1 doesnt catch fire and the servos dont act like epileptics!

any other durability is just a plus!

you have ANY machine moving at a few 1000 rpm's and there is going to be damage to parts when stopped suddenly

most heli flyers know that- its the noobs who dont realize what we mean by "indestructible "-- i.e.- can take alot more abuse than most- at least imho

now what I call indestructible is when I can plow one of my wings into the side of a building @ 100 mph and pick it up and fly it again

sigh- no income at this time so I can't test its indestructibility

plus I would need to get a tx too- I have no walkera 6ch

so unless someone wants to trade a dx7 for a devo or 2801tx, I will have to wait till I have work again
microkites is offline Find More Posts by microkites
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:49 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
no fun to be broke...

We has a siamin night or two ourselves lately...tonight we're stylin'.
fresh frozen sardines [I caught 'em in the Sea of Cortez] and home fry tates.

Here's some of the progress ?!?
the wall removed. Tsamo [the cat] is fixating on the tarp He's kinda goofy.
the more or less fix. still needs finishing. It's supposed to be temp. I hope so. a sight better than what was

the new problem.
wrestled the cooler off of what was left of the chimney/fireplace. I'm digging junk from the original fire box. The cribbing for the cooler was glued and screwed. I may have hurt myself getting it out of the hole . I'll know tomorrow. I posed a yardstick in for scale. Big fireplace. The hole is 36in X 42iin...and 36in deep

It's Halloween [ish]...time to have a couple of kids for dinner? it's got a lid, too

regards,
Bill
Old Oct 18, 2011, 07:42 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,
An on topic post...

If the mount separates, it looks like it will work and a few $ less per....I don't remember what I paid, but not $12ea
Well, the mount separates.
If you look closely a the first pic with the heli in it, you can see my bolstering effort to the l/g. The right side was tucked under and had taken a set. It started to show stressing from me trying to straighten it. What I have found, the heat from my hot melt gun is enough to soften it in a small area. Then I put the l/g straight and bolstered the area at the batt frame with a spot of glue. We'll see?
regards,
Bill
Last edited by Air Vaca; Oct 18, 2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:16 PM
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,664 Posts
Hi all,

Hope everyone's doing well.

I finally had time to install lights on one of my Geniuses...came out pretty cool. This is #1 that I've converted to brushless, unfortunately the CO5 I have came with stripped mounting screws. I've already installed the stock pinion using heat, now I'll have to remove the pinion to take the motor apart and see if I can tap a slightly larger screw thread into the base...it's always something.

I still love this hobby...time for some night flying!

Regards,
John
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:45 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Looks too nice to crash....I forgot, these don't break.
The more I fly it, the more I like it. That new 120 will be super if it can be mothed to 100size....and still perform

regards,
Bill
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:50 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,
After dumping it a few times trying to invert...I tried cheating and hand launching it inverted. Was rather comical...right from the launch. I need three hands. And then every move was wrong. The heli is stable, not the operator.
no broken parts beyond the linked skid...
have you noticed the reflector tape on the blades wanting to peel at the leading [blade] edge?

regards,
Bill
Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:42 PM
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,664 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,
After dumping it a few times trying to invert...I tried cheating and hand launching it inverted. Was rather comical...right from the launch. I need three hands. And then every move was wrong. The heli is stable, not the operator.
no broken parts beyond the linked skid...
have you noticed the reflector tape on the blades wanting to peel at the leading [blade] edge?

regards,
Bill
Hi Bill,

Haven't tried any inverted yet, having too much fun slamming it around in 3 axis. As I've said before it's ALWAYS windy here and this little heli is very nice in the wind.

Haven't noticed any peeling of the reflective tape on the main blades yet.

The CO5 I purchased came with the mounting screw holes stripped, so I tapped a slightly larger screw into the base and tried that. Now the CO5 cogs using the (WK-WST-10A-LT) ESC. Not sure if it's the motor or the ESC, the ESC is new, I've had it on hand for well over a year. The CO5 I just purchased from a California seller which I won't mention, but it's 3 letters, starts with a "w" and ends with a "w".

Regards,
John
Old Oct 21, 2011, 02:24 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi John,
How's it run no load? I have an old AEO BL set [motor and esc/converter] that cogged so bad I never used it. Mine acts like one wire is not good and that may have been self inflicted by running the mounting screw in to far.

regards,
Bill
Old Oct 21, 2011, 04:06 PM
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,664 Posts
I'm just trying to spin the rotor head up without the main blades...the CO5 should be able to to do that without cogging I would think.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 07:45 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,
totally off topic but I had to toss this idea out

OK, they use water pressure to generate electricity all the time...hydro electric dams.
Why can't we use the pressure of the water running into our property the same way? Saddle a small generator to the water line and use that 40psi to turn it.

regards,
Bill
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:30 PM
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,664 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,
totally off topic but I had to toss this idea out

OK, they use water pressure to generate electricity all the time...hydro electric dams.
Why can't we use the pressure of the water running into our property the same way? Saddle a small generator to the water line and use that 40psi to turn it.

regards,
Bill
Hi Bill,

Well the water used in hydro electric dams is provided by mother nature i.e. rain and provides power due to the force of gravity.

The water that flows through you water meter was pumped into the tank to provide the pressure you enjoy in your house.

Did you know that 80% of the energy worldwide is used to pump water?

It's simply mind boggling.

Regards,
John