HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2010, 06:07 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi Jason,
We're pretty restricted to what motors will run on the Walkera esc, unless they get that wrinkle ironed out. HP05-2 gives good power.

I'm wondering if the 05-2 has enough oomph for my moth...I need to play with some different pinions, but so far, results using the HP05s have been disappointing. That's why I was asking about the difference between the S and -2 models. The HP06s is just about perfect power, but appear to no longer be in production. The CO5XL is close and the price is right when they're in stock.

regards,
Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2010, 08:08 AM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,664 Posts
Hi all,
I finally bit the bullet and purchased a V100D01 from CJ over the weekend after hovering over the buy button for about a month...my first heli purchase in quite some time.

I have a set of LG on the way from Jason and a few other mods for the V100D01 in mind...lights, of course.

Bill,
Speaking of lights I should receive my wire shipment today so I'll hopefully get the light kit for your moth done over the weekend, this will be the lightest version yet.

Regards,
John
1Hammer is online now Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Old Dec 01, 2010, 08:33 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi John,
The V100 is a nice flier. With the little wider stance, Jason's l/g will make a nice addition. I need a set, too. I'm thinking of getting another V100 and put the old one in the Hughes500 fuse. When you mount the tail, do you use a boom or mount the motor to the fuse, itself?

I really wanna moth a V120-1. Maybe do a high performance model with the HP06V2.
Amp,
Whata ya think of the 16,2kv HP06? Or should I go with the 08?

regards,
Bill

I did a couple of packs on the 2428 moth. I think the HP05s will be OK...just need a few more teeth in the pinion. Hovers at 2/3 [maybe a little more] throttle. Would like to hover at 1/2 to 5/8 throttle max. While I'm in it, I might as well put my bling [titanium main shaft] on and get a finished weight.
Last edited by Air Vaca; Dec 01, 2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 09:03 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,
Been a domestic god, today. Cleaned the oven, made custard and used up some left over turkey in a very regional manner.
A lot of you make turkey tettrezinni [however it's spelled]. We make turkey enchiladas,here.
My rendition came out particularly tastey this evening. the 1/2 hr I spent putting them together was worth the effort. Very easy to do, if you're interested I can give the "recipe". You guys, in Oz, may have a little trouble finding green enchilada sauce..

regards,
Bill
Old Dec 02, 2010, 01:21 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Hi Guys,
Well,I was working close to home all day today,so I got to be home on time for a change.
All this talk about food Bill,Is making me hungry.
One thing I noticed last night with the V100 is that it does not pitch up with FFF like the 4#3B does/Did. I found myself doing big fast (Very fast)figure 8's in the front yard and it was a strange feeling. You know that feeling where you have perfect control,just before the big crash?
I always land early when I get that feeling now.
Regards Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old Dec 02, 2010, 05:50 AM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
....oh yeah....boy do I know that feeling and very well described btw. Calm before the storm.

Bill,
Not sure on 08 / 06 for your application. One thing I do know is there is not 2 grams difference....less than that.

The 08 has alot more torque than the 06...hence more avail power. The 06 did not cut it on my clipped 4g3 (70 auw)...just did not have the torque for a more mild headspeed for inside...3800-4000rpm and still be able to sustain the pitch.
Hope that helps. Less than the detail I wish I could provide.

If your goal is a 55g FP (as it looks) then a HPO6 is appropriate. If it may evolve to a 55g Cp the 08 is better. Not sure on the 16000kv Hpo6...very high kv at the expence of the torque that may be crutial to performance.

Basically the weight gain 06 - 08 is worthwhile imo unless you are going for all out super light.

Can speed up torque but cannot torque up kv.

I'd be looking for what worked for a very powerful 4#3B...Hpo6 original, similar AEO / kv, or 08 11000 which will give you margin for many models with a little weight sacrifice on the v100

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Last edited by Ampdraw; Dec 02, 2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2010, 06:39 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,
Thanks for the info, Amp.
The HP05-2 seems a good motor for the 4#3 size. For the 4x6 frame, the draw for the tail makes a difference. I still have the 06s that I broke the shaft on, so I'm not w/o. Come to think of it...I should have one more NIP. and maybe sketch has a few left.
Kinda figures I would find the perfect application for an obsolete motor. Like I need an excuse to get on HP08 HeHeHe. The 06v2 reminds me of my old 350F Honda motorcycle. A baby in-line 4 cylinder,350cc, 35HP at 10,000rpm....nothing at low end.

Jason,
The 3 axis rx's [on the FP's] take care of that old pitch up problem. I get it on the 2428x helis, but not on any of the 3 axis ones. Makes 'em a lot easier to go too fast. BTW my v100 has a tell of low batt. The gyros get wonky and it becomes very difficult.

regards,
Bill
Old Dec 02, 2010, 08:30 AM
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,664 Posts
Hi all,
Now I'm really looking forward to receiving my V100, with all of the good reports.

Bill,
The tail motor is mounted in the fuselage of the MD500 as the tail boom is much lower on the 4#3/V100 frame.

Your turkey enchiladas sound good! I use the green enchilada sauce quite often, it is very good in a variety of things. My wife likes the crab enchiladas I've come up with...living at the ocean for so many years.

Regards,
John
Old Dec 03, 2010, 06:40 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hmmm, we don't get crab, but shrimp are a possibility. And they're in season.

Jason,
I put an HP05-2 on my v100, it runs off the stock esc. I think it has an 18t, certainly not smaller than 16t. I think Tom ran an 08 and 06v2 in his testing, but what esc? I think it was the new one from the cb100. I wouldn't swear to it, though. I'd have to go back and check.

well, we had record cold Monday....and got to a balmy 49`F in Tucson, to near record warm this weekend. Just as I had "bulked up" for the winter. I put on 2-3 kilos in the cold weather. Too bad it's all clothing. I got to shed some and walked around the yard barefoot....comfortably. It's pushing 80`F [24`C].

regards,
Bill

I put a 22t pinion on the 05s in the 2428 moth.... Better, not good...so it's an 06s. The gram is worth the power. the 05s is barely adequate, even with the 22t. I have room to try the 23t, but I just don't think the little motor has the grunt. I might try the 23t on the 06s that's going in it. The S moth does good with the 22t hp06s and it's 5gm heavier. The 2428 flies nice. The TechHead and Flash's blades make for a soft ride. stable as a rock and really gets it when you give a cyclic command.
Last edited by Air Vaca; Dec 03, 2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 04:26 PM
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,664 Posts
Hi all,
Spending a little down time today and came across this article about an RC Aircraft Flying Over New York City Taking Video.

Check out the link to a thread @ RCGroups Forums in the article..very interesting.

Regards,
John
Old Dec 04, 2010, 06:05 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,

Been going round and round wrestling to get the new frame working with all the guts from the S moth. I guess the last crash did more...

Jarred the stator loose. Motor would not start.
The gears wouldn't stay on the torque shaft. I fought with that one for hours...put it together, spin it up. Gears would creep off the shaft. Tear it apart so I can put it back together. Check the alignment and repeat. I gave in and cut a new shaft.
I'm happy now. Just need to fine tune. I have a vibe to get rid of.

regards,
Bill
Old Dec 05, 2010, 10:49 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,
after a couple of hours of playing computer...ta da!!! An avatar. Needed a serious amount of coaching to get 'er done....now I think I have to go crash my heli

regards,
Bill
Old Dec 05, 2010, 01:29 PM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Vaca View Post
Hi all,
after a couple of hours of playing computer...ta da!!! An avatar. Needed a serious amount of coaching to get 'er done....now I think I have to go crash my heli

regards,
Bill
Hi Bill,
Congrats on the avatar.
Looking good.
Regards Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old Dec 06, 2010, 12:19 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,
Took Amp's advice and PM'd XYMotor about the fate of the HP06s...It is no longer in production and he suggested the 06v2 with 12-14t pinion.

Oh, well. And no comment. Wonder why they obsoleted it? Cheaper/easier to wind the v2, maybe?

regards,
Bill
Old Dec 06, 2010, 06:21 AM
melbourne, australia
Joined Jun 2009
888 Posts
hi all

hope everyone is well

just thought i would drop in and make my presence felt.
been busy of late... with toys of course... and life in general.

but just so you think i have been working too hard.
some pics of the latest toy.

and some vid with me flipping the 4g6fbl somewhere in the middle of it. 2.20sec
Dorset funfly.mpg (8 min 48 sec)
ado1974 is offline Find More Posts by ado1974