HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:25 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,
I guess my postmaster likes to hand deliver my things. I always get a note to pick up a parcel at the window....we have larger lock boxes. you get a key in your regular box for them, when you get a package. or are they "interested" in what I'm getting. To get to the point....sometimes there even s a point....I got a note! So I'll be working on helis today. I'm expecting the 4#6S for "conversion" and a few things from clubheli.

Rewound the 2.9 again. Just to make it neater. I think I getting the hang of this. There's a few little tricks. I wonder if they wind these by hand when they make 'em. ????
Amp,
Did you get the uber motor running? I'd be interested in a DD main for fun. Is that what you were doing? I know you are looking for a motor that winds up a HS of 5000RPM and hold it through the full pitch range w/o bogging. Did you order any of the titanium parts? I think the tail drive line would be nice. The stock cf seems pretty flexible [twisty]. I imagine that does absorb a certain amount of impact.

BTW
When is the impending birth spasm?

Nathan,
How you getting on with your 4#6S?

I saw the bartender of the Halloween party....the ufo was noticed and the little teaser glimpses were just enough to make a few intoxicated folks scratch their head.

regards,
Bill

I'm intrigued by these kit helis. Any 100 size kits that produce a working heli? I know there were some, but didn't pan out too well. A 200-250 is larger than I want. The prices are very attractive. Recommendations for those?
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Last edited by Air Vaca; Nov 12, 2010 at 06:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2010, 07:16 AM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Vaca View Post
Hi all,
I guess my postmaster likes to hand deliver my things. I always get a note to pick up a parcel at the window....we have larger lock boxes. you get a key in your regular box for them, when you get a package. or are they "interested" in what I'm getting. To get to the point....sometimes there even s a point....I got a note! So I'll be working on helis today. I'm expecting the 4#6S for "conversion" and a few things from clubheli.

Rewound the 2.9 again. Just to make it neater. I think I getting the hang of this. There's a few little tricks. I wonder if they wind these by hand when they make 'em. ????
Amp,
Did you get the uber motor running? I'd be interested in a DD main for fun. Is that what you were doing? I know you are looking for a motor that winds up a HS of 5000RPM and hold it through the full pitch range w/o bogging. Did you order any of the titanium parts? I think the tail drive line would be nice. The stock cf seems pretty flexible [twisty]. I imagine that does absorb a certain amount of impact.

BTW
When is the impending birth spasm?

Nathan,

I saw the bartender of the Halloween party....the ufo was noticed and the little teaser glimpses were just enough to make a few intoxicated folks scratch their head.

regards,
Bill

I'm intrigued by these kit helis. Any 100 size kits that produce a working heli? I know there were some, but didn't pan out too well. A 200-250 is larger than I want. The prices are very attractive. Recommendations for those?
Hi Bill,
Still running the rewound 16-06 in my 4g6. Dropped a tooth from 16 to 15 only because with the rpm at 4600 (0) and 2s for some reason it is really hard to get the head to spin true...product of slop and flex in the stock frame I'm hoping. Can dial it out but only with perfect balance and tension for lead lag and moon phase!

Currently it runs 4500 and 3900 at full neg bench test. I'm in a fly phase now....rather than a "tail is not quite right may rebuild, adjust, mod phase"....I'm sure you're familiar.

Re titanium parts...got a drive shaft on the way as well as a bronze anodised main shaft. Think the drive shaft will make quite alot of difference handling the torque of the 2s. Mainshaft was for weight saving. Would have bought the tail control rod (1mm version) but it is not threaded on the end and I like to set up rate tail spot on and just moving the servo mount would not be accurate enough imo.

Re the little amp-her...due Feb. Will be a challenge I'm guessing!!

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:05 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
I bet yous are getting excited.

Have you seen Darryl's 4#6/4g6 frame? If I can get my idea onto paper, I wonder how similar mine is to his...I haven't seen his frame. 2 bits, they share a lot.
speaking of Darryl...he's been kinda quiet lately.

I'm thinking of a way to make the servo mounts [more] universal and adjustable. maybe like the tail servo mount...

oh, I gave the V100 a test flight....flies nice, still. lifting off take a knack. seems like the main consistently starts after the tail. shades of the cb100? Can I get the main to start at the same time by tweaking the tx?
Last edited by Air Vaca; Nov 12, 2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 04:45 PM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Hi Guys,
I hope everyone is well.
Today,Iam going to try to catch up on some reading here. At the moment,I only have a couple of minutes while I have my morning coffee.
Monday is looking very very good for me.I can't wait because Monday I get to divert my phone to someone else for the flood of after hours calls. Yesterday has been my worst day zig zagging all around Sydney to various breakdowns until 2am today.
Regards Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:02 PM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Quote:
I bet yous are getting excited.

Have you seen Darryl's 4#6/4g6 frame? If I can get my idea onto paper, I wonder how similar mine is to his...I haven't seen his frame. 2 bits, they share a lot.
speaking of Darryl...he's been kinda quiet lately.

I'm thinking of a way to make the servo mounts [more] universal and adjustable. maybe like the tail servo mount...

oh, I gave the V100 a test flight....flies nice, still. lifting off take a knack. seems like the main consistently starts after the tail. shades of the cb100? Can I get the main to start at the same time by tweaking the tx?
Main will start relevant to an endpoint that the esc recognises as "start". The rx may be looking for this signal and then send request for tail to start...in that case you'd be duped. But the tail may be asked to start inderpendantly....doubtful though. If you're using an aftermarket esc you may be able to recalibrate the main endpoint to address the problem. Try lowering the bottom endpoint, recalibrate etc.

Yep I've seen Darryl's frame, don't think it will go into production at least for some time. Pretty sure he's flying larger helis.

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:04 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjetski View Post
Hi Guys,
I hope everyone is well.
Today,Iam going to try to catch up on some reading here. At the moment,I only have a couple of minutes while I have my morning coffee.
Monday is looking very very good for me.I can't wait because Monday I get to divert my phone to someone else for the flood of after hours calls. Yesterday has been my worst day zig zagging all around Sydney to various breakdowns until 2am today.
Regards Jason
Hi Jason,

Glad to hear you're off the hook for a little while at least. Unfortunately I know exactly what you mean, my wife has been the computer operations manager for the county we live in for over 30 years and for most of that time she ran a 24 hour operation and was ALWAYS on call. She is responsible for all of the local law enforcement agencies communications with state computers for ID and background information in the field.

Lots of phone call in the middle of the night...luckily things have changed in the last few years.

Regards,
John
1Hammer is offline Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:51 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,
Got started on Naterpin's S moth. Most of the parts are cut and assembly has begun. I've got the tail drive done. The electronics are next.
We're going to try a CO5XL motor and xp7a esc with it. Anyone have experience with this motor? I'm looking for something comparable to an HP06s.

Was playing around with rx placement. We can swap the rx/batt. But [you knew that was coming], bate batt needs to be almost off the rx mount w/o canopy. Then, there is a concern of moving the gyros away from the center of axis. I would think the farther away, the more sensitive? possibility for some quirky reactions, maybe?

regards,
Bill

I'm thinking of revisiting the simplified B/H for a 90` head this time.
Last edited by Air Vaca; Nov 14, 2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 04:25 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Hi Guys,
Wow,This is nice to finally have a little bit of time to play on rc groups again.
Iam still a little bit behind on a couple of orders,but the backlog has now dropped from 86 parts down to just 6 parts.So it is getting better.
Now Iam glad that last week is all over too. I got smothered with breakdowns and phone calls all weekend.
I even flew a couple of packs in my V120D02 this afternoon and dusted off the CB100 too.
Regards Jason
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:53 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Bet it feels nice to get a bunch of those "gotta do's" done, so you can get busy with "wanna do's" [play time!] Enjoy, Jason....you've worked hard for it!!!
I was just thinking that the V100 has increased a demand for the 4#3/cb100 parts? I need some l/g for my V100. Those wire sets look hokey, they are pretty strong [for what they are], but...how about some titanium l/g???

Been giving the b/h convesrion to cb100 head some more thought. I really like the flybar on ball bearings. Seems like less lateral slop and just better...why didn't they put bb's on the 4#3 series? Just need to make a ring to fit. We can use a B pivot block, with a little work.

Looks like I'm going to have to get another JT100....I'm running out of tree to cut up for incidental small parts and the cutter is about toast, it barely cuts plastic Handy as all get out. I've gotten a lot of use out of it.

hope you had a nice day

Bill
Last edited by Air Vaca; Nov 15, 2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:11 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,
I was thinking about a "high performance" flybar/paddles/ring...and think I solved the cb100 Bell/Hiller conversion.
I've noticed that cf rod is given to twisting. And attaching paddles to cf rod has its problems. Why not make a ring, flybar and paddles out of one piece of cf plate? "Float" this on the linkage and possibly eliminate the pivot block? I've got to think about this...I'm confusing myself

regards,
Bill
Last edited by Air Vaca; Nov 17, 2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:56 PM
I crash therefore I am
Queensland Australia
Joined Nov 2007
876 Posts
Quote:
Nathan,
Hi Bill,

Love it! I got 2 in the HK super sale. One was a better than the other. The "bad" one seems to have drag in the transmission somewhere and had a dud servo. I replaced it by it still gradually resets the swash to a left tilt after a few minutes of flying. I dialled down the gyro pot and it seems fine now. I also threw in a Hp05S from CJ. I am now happy with it an love putting around with no stress due to the stability of the 3 gyros.

My other one - the "good" one was perfect OTB. I will throw in a HP05S when I get one but for now it's rock stock. With the oversky 400 mah lipo I get a good 7 min which I'm happy with.

I haven't really even thought much about the Bell/Hiller head mod which I know you recommend, mainly because I don't really know where to get it and what exactly I need. Is it really that good. I'm not a very agressive flyer and quite like just cruising around.

I have to say that the 4#6S is my best FP walkera. I still love my 4#3B/Q/Q2 etc's but for enjoyment and value this is the ticket.

What's everyone else up to?

I haven't posted in a while due to work/family/life etc but still lurk regularly. Can't believe we're half way through November.

What heli will I get for Christmas? Maybe a V100D01 (with new RX of course!). Are they out yet?

Nathan
Vimd is offline Find More Posts by Vimd
Old Nov 18, 2010, 04:08 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vimd View Post
Hi Bill,

Love it! I got 2 in the HK super sale. One was a better than the other. The "bad" one seems to have drag in the transmission somewhere and had a dud servo. I replaced it by it still gradually resets the swash to a left tilt after a few minutes of flying. I dialled down the gyro pot and it seems fine now. I also threw in a Hp05S from CJ. I am now happy with it an love putting around with no stress due to the stability of the 3 gyros.

My other one - the "good" one was perfect OTB. I will throw in a HP05S when I get one but for now it's rock stock. With the oversky 400 mah lipo I get a good 7 min which I'm happy with.

I haven't really even thought much about the Bell/Hiller head mod which I know you recommend, mainly because I don't really know where to get it and what exactly I need. Is it really that good. I'm not a very agressive flyer and quite like just cruising around.

I have to say that the 4#6S is my best FP walkera. I still love my 4#3B/Q/Q2 etc's but for enjoyment and value this is the ticket.

What's everyone else up to?

I haven't posted in a while due to work/family/life etc but still lurk regularly. Can't believe we're half way through November.

What heli will I get for Christmas? Maybe a V100D01 (with new RX of course!). Are they out yet?

Nathan
Hi Nathan,
I have bought myself a V100D01 for Christmas. I wouldn't rely on a V2 being a V2 as nobody can really say much about the fixes.
So if I complain about my one being a dud,I only have myself to blame.
Regards Jason
Old Nov 18, 2010, 06:30 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,
The v100 v1 flies nice...and if you land on the skids, the delay isn't bad. Hardly noticeable. It's when you don't, that you have to bear watching it thrash for a second or so. Highly recommend an HP05 size motor for it.

Nate wanted me to put an HP05 in his moth....I kind of discouraged the idea as being too low power for the application. But, if you've put one in a full size and it's OK, all the better.
I haven't finished the 2428 moth. It's just a matter of screwing the l/g on, cut a couple of links and put some blades on 'er.

I haven't even turned a screw on helis for a couple of days. The wife came home and priorities...

regards,
Bill
Old Nov 20, 2010, 07:42 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,
How's everyone?

Nathan,
Here's a photo of the Bell/Hiller mod. I'll tell you what...you buy the parts and try it. If you don't like it, I'll buy the parts from you.
You can get the parts from CJ for less than $15. In the 4#6 parts....1 set of BE blade controllers and 1 set of BE links. you only need the long hockey stick links.
The drive sys can be fixed w/o too much trouble. Assuming all the bearings are seated properly...
here are the angles I approach it from, not necessarily in this order
You can "adjust" the mainshaft fixing collar if you are getting too much pressure from the main.
Are the gears butted to the bearings? If not, try moving the boom a little to "lengthen" it. If that doesn't help...Pull the main gear and see if the tail spins freely.
The screw that "secures" the boom is also adjustable. Back it out and seat the boom fully in the channel. turn the screw in slowly and test for drag on the tail...still no...
the gears at the tail gear box are too tight against each other. A little filing or sandpaper to the back of the gear on the torque shaft...

Got the mixers for Nate's moth...we might get a test flight today...some finishing touches, then shipping

regards,
Bill
Last edited by Air Vaca; Nov 20, 2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:05 AM
I crash therefore I am
Queensland Australia
Joined Nov 2007
876 Posts
Quote:
Nathan,
Here's a photo of the Bell/Hiller mod. I'll tell you what...you buy the parts and try it. If you don't like it, I'll buy the parts from you.
You can get the parts from CJ for less than $15. In the 4#6 parts....1 set of BE blade controllers and 1 set of BE links. you only need the long hockey stick links.
The drive sys can be fixed w/o too much trouble. Assuming all the bearings are seated properly...
here are the angles I approach it from, not necessarily in this order
You can "adjust" the mainshaft fixing collar if you are getting too much pressure from the main.
Are the gears butted to the bearings? If not, try moving the boom a little to "lengthen" it. If that doesn't help...Pull the main gear and see if the tail spins freely.
The screw that "secures" the boom is also adjustable. Back it out and seat the boom fully in the channel. turn the screw in slowly and test for drag on the tail...still no...
the gears at the tail gear box are too tight against each other. A little filing or sandpaper to the back of the gear on the torque shaft...

regards,
Bill
All right Bill - you talked me into it! A Christmas Pressie for me from CJ - the BE bits, are on their way. I'm sure I'll like them after your big rap, but if not don't worry I won't be trying to offload them to you. It's all part of the fun. Thanks for the drivetrain suggestions too. I'll pull it down when I have some spare time and put your ideas to the test.

Nathan
Vimd is offline Find More Posts by Vimd