HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2010, 04:28 PM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Vaca View Post
And it took a technician to put that tape on.

well, my one strap didn't hold. I truly believe it's because it didn't contour the cut out in the frame for the plate. I fixed that with a little sandpaper and a tiny piece of sponge foam between the strap and boom. so far, so good.

getting some rumbling from the sky....liquid sunshine, maybe? And believe it or don't....we're at the end of our "green" season. weeds are drying and looks like we might have an active fire season, which lasts until the next green season....might be a while before the next rainy season... that it actually rains.

had another insect attack...this time a large robber fly. the spinning blades of death strike again
http://www.cirrusimage.com/Flies_rob...ertebratus.htm
Hi Bill,
We have been having some heavy showers here yesterday,Lastnight and today.
That robber fly looks kinda dangerous. It looks like it would just take your heli.
Regards Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2010, 04:45 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
it tried, believe me ....came at the heli twice. the 2nd time I saw it leaving MUCH faster ...here's the pitch...a swing... a HOME RUN!!! GOAL! GOAL! GOAL!...[sorry I couldn't help myself] and I heard it hit the siding on the house. Big...30+mm

Bill

if/when I break this flybar, I'll try a very short version to see if it will still be as stable. I've had some thoughts of rigging this up almost like a bell head. Keep the flybar, but just long enough the hold the ring, no weights or anything...and stuff an o-ring under the pivot block to give some resistance, allowing for cyclic to get to the blades. I think the mixer will tone the cyclic down the same as longer ball ends. What do you guys think?
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Last edited by Air Vaca; Oct 03, 2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2010, 07:09 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,
It looks like the single strap on the rear boom mount is holding on the moth. I don't think I'd have a lot of faith in it on a full length boom, though. The cf plate looks like the ticket.

Knock on wood...I'll get started on the light version of the moth. I'm starting to get the process down. I'd hope so after doing two. The soldered rx connections do seem to better than plug ins. Might just be that it was a lot of work and I want it to be better, too. Even at that, I'm finding easier/better ways to get it done.

How's the 4#6/4g6 l/g's coming. Broke a tip off my stockers in a dumb thumb incident.
I'm kinda waffling on doing any major surgery to the V100. I don't suppose it would hurt to strip the esc's and get some of the weight off it. It's a porky little devil.

Jason,
I got an idea for a clamping tail motor mount. I imagine you've thought of it ...make the hole for the motor a touch too small. Then cut the ring, splitting boom mount part...that should allow the mount to open enough for the motor. A few screws...
does that make any sense? I'll try to make a drawing. Seems simple and secure in my vision of it. It may turn into a "Looked good on paper" thing , too. I should be able to fashion one from this nylon cutting board, if I try hard.

rained late last night...weird. I sitting here, drinking my coffee and hearing an odd [unfamiliar] animal noise. Sounds like a screachy bird sound. Dunno??

regards,
Bill

I'm back...
tried the FBL experiment with the b/h linkage and an o-ring under the flybar pivot block. It works sort of...you can have the ext at a reasonable level and it will fly controllably for a few seconds and then it goes into a terminal TBE. I was watching the head/servos, and the servos do not center immediately after releasing the stick, so I guess it needs a little flybar to give a return response???maybe it was because I was holding it and the gyros sensed no change so they didn't change? I dunno. Anyway, It didn't work to my satisfaction, though it may hold some promise. I'm not in the mood to science the cure for this TBE out. It was very stable and under control and then not.

I put the flybar back on. I think I found the problem with the FBL. The o-ring under the flybar pivot was off centre. So, I'm guessing that if I put an o-ring above and below the pivot block, this will work. The damping on the pivot makes it feel smooth. This did not want to move diagonal like the other set up, it didn't have the bobs and shakes either. The reduction, using the mixers, is approx 2:1. Like I said earlier, it has promise.
Last edited by Air Vaca; Oct 04, 2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2010, 09:41 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi Jason,
Got a better description of my tail motor mount. A plastic strap type hose clamp [the diameter of the tail motor] that attaches to the boom. I bet something already made can be adapted. I think you can get plastic clamps for 1/4in tubing...John?

regards,
Bill
Old Oct 05, 2010, 02:43 PM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Quote:
Hi Jason,
Got a better description of my tail motor mount. A plastic strap type hose clamp [the diameter of the tail motor] that attaches to the boom. I bet something already made can be adapted. I think you can get plastic clamps for 1/4in tubing...John?

regards,
Bill
Hi Bill,
I need to go back and re read a couple of days.
Work has been sending me way down the coast and I havent been getting home till late each night. Not even any time for flying.
Iam hoping to get home early tonight.
Time for coffee and then back to babysitting the steering wheel again for me.
Regards Jason
Old Oct 05, 2010, 03:15 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,664 Posts
Hi all,
I have been catching up here and baby sitting my steering wheel as well Jason.

Quote:
Hi Jason,

regards,
Bill
Bill,
I've found small plastic hose clamps (0.256") @ Cole-Parmer. They aren't too expensive $0.27/ea. except you have to purchase 100 at a time.

I'll check with my plumber and see what he can come up with.

Regards,
John
1Hammer is offline Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Last edited by 1Hammer; Oct 05, 2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2010, 07:13 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
I saw that style, not what I was thinking. Here is a very crude drawing to give you the idea. These are used more for hanging tubing/pipe. something along this line...http://www.tolco.com/pipe-hangers/cp...-pipe-hangers/ bottom of the page..that will clamp onto the motor and boom.

regards,
Bill
Last edited by Air Vaca; Oct 05, 2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 03:12 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Hi Guys,
Well I finally made it home from work after about 11 hours in the saddle and a little over 800km travelled on the beautiful south coast here. It always puts me in a good mood driving around down there. Seams more like a holiday than it does work.
I did see one sign out the front of a plant shop which made me laugh.
The sign said. "Spring is here and we are so excited we wet our plants"
Bill, I think I know the part you are talking about. i broke one today on a forklift. It was a white plastic,but one side was flat.
In the picture above,Do the mounting screws go through the boom?
Just now,I decided to have a fly of my V120D02 before the sun goes down and although Iam a bit tired and reflexes seam slow,I just had the best flight. So good in fact that I landed a little early just so I don't crash it and ruin the fun.
Regards Jason
Old Oct 06, 2010, 06:29 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi Jason,
My idea is to have the screws on either side of the boom and have a bore in the "mount ends" to accept the boom.

you think it's worth the effort to pursue?

regards,
Bill

when I was in HI, there is/was a septic pumping company the had signs on their trucks, "Your do-do is our bread and better". Honest!

Kinda "fresh" this morning 50`F and muddy. We got close to an inch of rain over the course of the day, yesterday. Today it will be cool, too. Only calling for 75`F as a high. I'm starting to think about thermal underwear.... that or relocate to the southern hemisphere for the season.
Last edited by Air Vaca; Oct 06, 2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 04:09 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,664 Posts
Hi all,
Jason, I always enjoy being able to drive the coast while commuting to jobs as well.

Bill,
We're you thinking of something like this for a tail motor clamp?

Regards,
John
1Hammer is offline Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Last edited by 1Hammer; Oct 06, 2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 04:57 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
precisely! Thanks John!!!

you could have inserts to make it a "one-size-fits-most" [I saw this on muu muu's].....another Hawaiian phrase, like "lawnmowering the yard". I still smile/snicker over that one.
Last edited by Air Vaca; Oct 06, 2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2010, 01:38 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Hi Guys,
Yes,Now I know exactly what you mean with the motor clamp.
It is do-able.
I have just returned home from another great day of driving around on the south coast here. The best thing was that I only needed to do quick and easy jobs at each customer.
Regards Jason
Old Oct 07, 2010, 03:51 AM
Yes I looped the MSR post 5388
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
Quote:
here's #1...a couple of dumb thumbs, a tail shaft that slipped laterally and an arbourial landing at the end. Wasn't too bad...the tree was almost big enough for me to climb. I shook it down from about 3m up

http://www.vimeo.com/15465079

it does have a nice moment or two

regards,
Bill

did you hear the sound of my second dumb thumb landing on the nice soft grass? might as well be pavement.

The fact it hits the dirt a few times there is rather impressive that it still flew after the crashes, one particular crash I thought that has to cause some damage, but you have managed to make a light weight and tough setup..

She does have some speed there you can clearly see, very responsive and yet still very stable....

Very nice indeed
EatAtJoes is offline Find More Posts by EatAtJoes
Old Oct 07, 2010, 06:23 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
thanks Elias. Yeah, this little bird is pretty rugged. I'm very happy with the results. It's hit the dirt hard a few times....The links may pop off or the tail rotor shaft slides. That's about it.
As I'm thinking about it...with these mods, the heli actually gets stronger. The boom and shaft are ~1/2 the stock length and still the same size materials. Less load on the mainshaft...higher head speed though. I did put a "bullet proof" mainshaft in it [titanium, a little pricey...but shouldn't ever have to replace it] A lot less weight on everything.

regards,
Bill

I spent a little time with the V100. Installed new motors. HP05 16t pinion, HP03t, M-H-C inline tailcase....42.5gm w/o batt or canopy. Haven't really got to doing it up. Shoots, the screw are still in the servos. Been eyeballing the swash. It looks like an A lower swash will be OK. Rumour has a new improved coming soon. Like Wow claims to have a "fixed" rx. By who ? dunno and don't care...as long as it gets done.

Gotta balance up a pair of Q blades for the V100. almost 1gm lighter [ea] than stock and 3mm shorter. Tom reports lower head speed with them...more pitch? flexing? All I know, Is that my 4#3 with HP05, a 20t pinion and Q blades is a rocket. The weight will be very close to the same.
Last edited by Air Vaca; Oct 07, 2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2010, 07:19 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,
Murphy got me...
But I can definatively say, the mounting screws for the walkera inrunners are the right dia to mount an HP05, but...here's where Murphy came to visit....are too long. They will get into the windings. Ran great for a pack, ran with reduced power, was reduced to stuttering. Sounds like a rewind is in order. I have another motor, so it joins the CO5 in the "needs rewind" bin. The beauty of outrunners...serviceability! And one of these days, I'll get around to them.

regards,
Bill

and it's a tad fresh this morning...about 45`F or if I really want to feel cold, ~6`C
Last edited by Air Vaca; Oct 08, 2010 at 08:30 AM.