HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2010, 08:53 AM
4G6S TREX-250 4#3B 4G3
Joined Sep 2008
142 Posts
Thanks Bill,

Yeah, I've been watching and wondered whether I should get all that dkfuji head and Micro-Heli CNC gear or to be waiting since the recent release of the fbl models/range on the Walkera site. I'll fly stock for a little bit and then see what becomes available in three to four weeks (a Walkera FBL 4G6S, I bet). Then I might hold out for the new Walkera head or if suppliers take too long to pick them up, I'll get on in on the dkfuji head.
The HP08 is also calling me. As is the impending JT100 Frame for my poor old 4#3B. Dkfuji's CF 4G6 frame will also be something grabbing my attention when released, mind you I expect that Jason and Tattoface are already thinking hard about this too, yeah?

The 2801 Pro should keep me satisfied for a fair while thou as it'll reinvigorate my 4#3B and 4G3 helis and brings with it a new friend I'm sure (4G6S).

Regards,
Tom
Zenom is offline Find More Posts by Zenom
Last edited by Zenom; May 25, 2010 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Forgot the popcorn :P
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2010, 09:13 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
If the 4g6S flies anywhere near as nice as my 4#6 w/TechHead and 2433rx [3 axis], you'll be quite happy. Might be a little underpowered in stock form... or is it the 12t pinion the stock bl motor comes with? I'd go for the HP08. The HP06 is OK in the 4#6, but it could still use a bigger horse. An HP08 will be on my next parts order.

regards,
Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old May 25, 2010, 06:33 AM
4G6S TREX-250 4#3B 4G3
Joined Sep 2008
142 Posts
I'm looking forward to it definitely. Looks to be the 12 tooth pinion:

When I grab the HP08 I'll probably get two one for my 4G3 too.
Cheers,
Tom
Old May 25, 2010, 07:54 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi Tom,
I'd get a 16 and 18t pinions with those HP08's. The other guys would be better able to recommend pinions.....all I know is that the 12 is too small with the stock bl on a 4#6 for me, a 14 or 16 maybe.

I'm on my own for the next 6wks. My wife is going to be in Illinois for a month, then she has a class in Tucson for 2 wks the day after she gets back.. At least she'll be home when the garden is coming in.

regards,
Bill

Just a comment on this 4#6 set up I'm running. I don't think you can crash it, unless you drive it into something. I can't believe how easy it is to fly. Don't think I'll be needing a lot of spare parts for this one. I guess I can make it lighter since I'm not breaking stuff...some lightweight bling would be nice, too.
Last edited by Air Vaca; May 25, 2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old May 26, 2010, 08:48 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,
What's the verdict on the HP08/XP07a and xp12A[?]. Do I need to get the 12 for optimum performance?

being as electronics are my weakest field...if I were to do a 2s HP06, do I need anything more than a 2s batt and a 2s HP06? Is there a BEC[?] to lower voltage to the rx in the xp07A?

thanks

regards,
Bill

Oh,
Jason,
the fins look great on the 4#6. I needed to shorten the screws on the vert fin, the stock unit is at least half again as thick as yours. thanks!
Old May 27, 2010, 08:10 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi all,
Didn't get anything done yesterday, excepting, getting the wife packed and on her "vacation". 4 wks with Grandma [100yrs old and still, more or less, on her own]. I forgot how much stuff it takes to sustain a woman! Looked like she was moving out. She had the bag I brought on my trip [it was her bag] +2 others + armloads of incidentals..

I'm thinking I'll try the "flyswatter" flybar and link set up for the JT100. To be sure, it will be run in in both configurations. If the FS set up is satisfactory...I may try to make an alu ring. Looks like one can be made from a slice of tubing with some precision holes drilled.

oh goody...another fire. this one's a little farther away. don't think it'll present any problem in town. there is a working mine in the fire area, though.

regards,
Bill

Got my swamp box [evaporative cooler] up, yesterday. Back on the roof to do some work on it today. it was doing the "Chinese Water Torture"... had to drain and dry it. peel up the old coating and lay some fresh down. "Sposed to hit 99`F in Tucson today and 15-20mph "breeze". I normally have done this a month ago, these low temps [sub 90`F] didn't do a thing to inspire me to it sooner.
Last edited by Air Vaca; May 27, 2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:02 PM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Vaca View Post
Hi all,
What's the verdict on the HP08/XP07a and xp12A[?]. Do I need to get the 12 for optimum performance?

being as electronics are my weakest field...if I were to do a 2s HP06, do I need anything more than a 2s batt and a 2s HP06? Is there a BEC[?] to lower voltage to the rx in the xp07A?

thanks

regards,
Bill

Oh,
Jason,
the fins look great on the 4#6. I needed to shorten the screws on the vert fin, the stock unit is at least half again as thick as yours. thanks!
Reports sound promising re the XP12A Bill. There seem to be two versions on the market too. I'm still not sure whether the 1.5g unavoidable weight gain is worthy of the less bogging gain...sorry I can't be more definative. If you are going to buy either ie you don't have a 7A I'd get the 12.

Re pinions for the 4g6 HPO8 I think 19T would be the absolute ideal although with the XP12A perhaps the motor won't bog and then 20T would be the go. The all rounder imo is the 18T currently. I run a 20T on my 4g3 Spek but run 96% flat throttle as the tail seems to have just a little more margin of reserve power. With flat 100 I can get the tail to blow out if I am shabby on collective.

Been thinking more about a 2s 4gX. DDVP using a modified 4g6 tail case with the sides removed and cf plate sides. The thing of contention is the pitch slider mount arm....have to study a little to sort this...maybe even a JJ delrin special order.

Tail motor: rewind this guy with shaft protruding the other way: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...trunner_6100kv.
Or
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ro_Motor_(3.1g)

Basically motor would sit between the tail case plates see as per here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...43&postcount=1

Main: Rewind this guy: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...trunner_2900kv
Or
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_3500kv_(11g)
Or
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_3500kv_(9g)
Or
http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=4252 There is alos a 5250kv version of this guy (current favourite) at 12g. I can guess that the heli would be wayyyy overpowered...yey.

Turnigy 6A on tail Turnigy 10A on main.

Basically crazy power, excellent tail hopefully coming in around the 90g mark....still pondering but I do think my next project beckons...

Any suggestions?

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Last edited by Ampdraw; May 27, 2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old May 27, 2010, 11:55 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
seems like the HP03s[main] would be ideal for this application. I'm looking at the mount and shaft primarily. Is it being made any more?

regards,
Bill

FWIW I'm running a 20t on an HP06 in my 4#6. I trimmed ~7mm from stock blades. The stock 4#6 blades are 24mm shorter than 4g3/4g6 blades and weigh 1.7gm ea, 4g3/4g6 blades are 2.7gm ea. Does a 20t on this sound too big? I think it's time to trim some weight from this heli. I know I have a gram or so of rx and esc wrapper and motor wire. Any where else I lose some easily? I'm looking at a 2p [25c180 or 25c240's] pack for it. These 15c600 batts are pigs. I got some more 20c400's from CJ, that about 4gms less there. I would be sweet if I could get down to 65-70gm AUW.
Last edited by Air Vaca; May 28, 2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old May 28, 2010, 02:20 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Hi Guys,
If any of you guys are driving around Parramatta Westfields Shopping centre and see a tool bag on the side of the road with only my best and most important tools in it.Even my special tools. There would be a better than average chance they are the ones that flew out of my work ute this morning without me knowing.
I had only gone around 2 corners and then noticed the side doors flapping. I had locked the doors,But they didn't lock properly.
I then went around the block,but they were gone.Gone for ever.
Such is life.
Things can't get much worse,So I should be happy that things can only get better.
Regards Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old May 28, 2010, 02:53 AM
melbourne, australia
Joined Jun 2009
902 Posts
jason

i feel for you
i know that sickening feeling, have had similar happen to me.

its not the cost of replacement... its the times you need that special tool that you had to make last time.

was there any buisness name etc that they might be returned??
ado1974 is offline Find More Posts by ado1974
Old May 28, 2010, 03:08 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
well that sux. Are you sure they were in your truck before you left the shopping centre? like maybe the locks failed....failed to keep prying hands out.
In one fell swoop I lost my fishing gear, tools, and car. got the car back...eventually. is only good for parts, though. I was a little p'oed

Losing my stuff was a pisser only because there were some fishing lures that were magic in the stuff. Like your special tools, not easily replaced. being w/o transportation, even just long enough to get more, is an inconvenience. the other things...well, what better excuse to buy the latest/greatest.
regards,
Bill.
Last edited by Air Vaca; May 28, 2010 at 03:28 AM.
Old May 28, 2010, 04:05 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Thanks Guys,
I have now removed my tool chest that busted out onto the road a few weeks ago.Can't rush these things.
My ute is sorta kinda like this.Mine is a couple of years younger,but the back half is the same layout.
The centre 2 doors use a turning handle that pushes a locking pin up and another down. One door is held by the other door. But I think the lower pin was not in the hole and I didn't notice that when I locked it. So as I turned the corner,The tool bag and tool chest pushed the lower part of the doors out and poped the top pin out.
I had no I.D. on anything in there,so I doubt I will ever see them again.
The worst part is that Iam the one to blame because I think I failed to see the lower part of the door locked.
Now I will just carry a small set of tools in a bag and worry about it later if I need other tools.
I think having a car stolen or a break in at home is a worse feeling and hard to not think about what you would do if you caught the thief.

Regards Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old May 28, 2010, 04:24 AM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjetski View Post
Thanks Guys,
I have now removed my tool chest that busted out onto the road a few weeks ago.Can't rush these things.
My ute is sorta kinda like this.Mine is a couple of years younger,but the back half is the same layout.
The centre 2 doors use a turning handle that pushes a locking pin up and another down. One door is held by the other door. But I think the lower pin was not in the hole and I didn't notice that when I locked it. So as I turned the corner,The tool bag and tool chest pushed the lower part of the doors out and poped the top pin out.
The worst part is that Iam the one to blame because I think I failed to see the lower part of the door locked.
Now I will just carry a small set of tools in a bag and worry about it later if I need other tools.
I think having a car stolen or a break in at home is a worse feeling and hard to not think about what you would do if you caught the thief.

Regards Jason
Sorry to hear about this Jason. Really hope it's not too hard to replace the replaceables....the irreplacables now that aspect really sucks. If you were definately close to Westfields maybe they were handed in to the centre's lost and found...doubtful. Another phone call worth making would be the local Police Station. Many of the better folk would hand it in there. Unfortunately the chances are it won't be recovered. If you had any items that are valuable or even look of worth, like pressure checkers etc with branding you can keep an eye on fleabay and also ring the local cash converters etc.

Good luck mate.

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old May 28, 2010, 06:36 AM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjetski View Post
Thanks Guys,

Regards Jason
Hi Jason,
Man that really is a lousy feeling when you look out the side view and see the door flapping...you KNOW it's not going to be good.

When I was about 16 my dad and stepmother were out of town and my brother and I walked into the house one night to find it ransacked. The guys were in the house when we pulled into the driveway. The property behind the house was vacant land so they escaped out the back doors and over the fence as we entered the kitchen door. They emptied every drawer from every cabinet and piece of furniture in the house, on the floor. This was back before we had small flashlights so they used matches for light and just dropped them still burning on the floor. The place was a real mess. It took awhile before I felt comfortable there.

Very sorry about your tools.

Regards,
John
1Hammer is online now Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Old May 28, 2010, 09:40 AM
4G6S TREX-250 4#3B 4G3
Joined Sep 2008
142 Posts
Jason, perhaps an end-of-financial year work-tools upgrade is in order and maybe you'll get a nice tax check afterwards. Fingers crossed for a good samaritan to return them to some local authorities or something.