SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 30, 2008, 09:52 AM
USAF Retired
Altus, OK
Joined May 2007
527 Posts
I will check everything! I have a $300 infrared heat gun that I will use. I am going to ATTEMPT to fly this plane on the setup I have in it. I will post my results after I fly the plane. It may be a satisfactory setup and it may not be. I have made NO claims as to the quality of setup this may or may not be. I just don't know and won't know until after I have flown it. All I have stated is that my test data shows that I can safely run this setup without exceeding the posted limits on the components. I have no clue as to how well the system will or will not fly the plane. We'll all just have to wait and see!

Troy
phyxer is offline Find More Posts by phyxer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2008, 07:34 AM
USAF Retired
Altus, OK
Joined May 2007
527 Posts
It Flies GREAT!

Well, I flew it three times on Saturday morning. First flight was for 6 minutes. Take off was uneventful, trimming was 1 click of down elevator. Landing was uneventful. 2nd flight was for 7 and a half minutes and loops and rolls were very nice. 3rd flight was for 9 minutes and the flaps REALLY slowed the plane down to a brisk walk on landing. Stalls are a non-event; just a slow dropping of the nose and a very slight roll to the right. On all 3 flights the motor came down at ambient temp, 90 degrees and the batteries came down only slightly warm at 118 degrees. I put 3300 mah back into the battery pack after the 9 minute flight. I couldn't be happier with this plane. It looks so good in flight and taxiing on the ground. This one is a winner for sure!

Troy
Old Jun 02, 2008, 07:48 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,430 Posts
Congrats Troy!
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jun 02, 2008, 10:24 AM
USAF Retired
Altus, OK
Joined May 2007
527 Posts
Thank you jrb. My setup flies the model better than scale but I would not say that I am overpowered. I think it's the right setup for anyone who wants at least scale performance from an airplane but isn't looking to get crazy fast or aerobatic with the airplane. If you are looking to hover it then you will need a much stronger power system than mine. I have plenty of power to get out of trouble but not enough to make this plane a pylon racer Take-off ground roll with no flaps is approximately 40 feet and with flaps it drops back to around 25 feet and I think that is very reasonable. The plane will cruise around just fine at half throttle with climbs requiring going to 3/4 throttle and loops are very responsive at full throttle ( both inside and outside ). This is a very strong built airplane that is very capable of whatever you want to do with it to include craziness if you want to spec the power system for hovering and the such. I don't think anyone will be disappointed with this airplane when flown for anything short of 3D. It's gonna be in my hangar for a long time!

Troy
Old Jun 02, 2008, 12:51 PM
Fly DW foamies!
longmont, CO
Joined May 2006
1,285 Posts
cool, Congrats on the maiden
appleflyer is offline Find More Posts by appleflyer
Old Jun 02, 2008, 01:03 PM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2001
5,941 Posts
Congratulations on your successful maiden flight, and the two follow up flights as well . I'm curious to know if you checked those WOT amps again. The reason I ask is that my E-Calc program (which is almost always reasonably accurate) says you should be pulling 37 amps WOT if you are running an 11x7 APC-E prop on 4S with the Power 32 motor. I don't understand how it could be that far off with the prediction ?
Ed
Ed Lyerly is offline Find More Posts by Ed Lyerly
Old Jun 02, 2008, 01:27 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,430 Posts
37.8 with my spreadsheet too!

58.5 w/13x6.5.
Old Jun 02, 2008, 01:42 PM
USAF Retired
Altus, OK
Joined May 2007
527 Posts
I will have to check it again. I may have misread the watt meter. I 'll check and let ya'll know. Thanks for all the kind words too!

Troy
Old Jun 02, 2008, 06:08 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,430 Posts
Have you seen the great bannere ad up above ( http://www.rcgroups.com/pages/splist/link.php?s=852 )?

Some good info: http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1033.html

Can you post some photo/video Troy?
Last edited by jrb; Jun 02, 2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2008, 02:21 AM
USAF Retired
Altus, OK
Joined May 2007
527 Posts
In the process of moving into our new house so I haven't gotten to recheck the numbers on my setup yet. Hopefully soon though!

Troy
Old Jun 08, 2008, 07:50 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Mar 2008
177 Posts
I posted this in the scale electric forum. Don't know if any of you guys saw it.

Here's a video of my Great Planes Cherokee. I didn't go with the AXI 2826, but instead used a Turnigy 50-55B 600kv motor, and an 80amp ESC from Light flight RC. The battery pack I used is an 6s2p 4600mah A123. which gave me a total weight of 7lbs 10oz.

I usually only fly for 8 minutes total. So with an 8 minute leisurely flight I consume about 1700mah from the pack.
An 8 minute flight with some maneuvers uses about 2300mah from the pack, and an 8 minute flight with lots of manuevers uses 3200mah from the pack.

The flaps are very nice it slows the plane down a lot, and it is effective for a real slow landing.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876230
Corsair 29 is offline Find More Posts by Corsair 29
Old Jun 10, 2008, 02:08 PM
USAF Retired
Altus, OK
Joined May 2007
527 Posts
Good video! Looks just like mine does! Thanks for posting it.

Troy
Old Jun 10, 2008, 07:26 PM
St. James, NY Long Island
Joined Jul 2002
100 Posts
Hi Troy, You are not alone I have always loved this plane! I had a gas powered one back in the late 70's. I flew the pants off of it, when I saw this one I could not resist. Still wondering what power plant I will use, but definitely electric.
Ray
Ray Juschkus is offline Find More Posts by Ray Juschkus
Old Jun 10, 2008, 07:37 PM
Joined Jul 2002
100 Posts
Hi Troy, What motor and BEC did you use in your Cherokee? On your flying report it was just what I am looking for. Congratulations on your successful maiden flight. Ray
Old Jun 23, 2008, 09:02 AM
Joined Jul 2002
100 Posts
Has anyone noticed that all you need is a screw driver to finish this kit? The only glue I used was to mount the servos. Ray