HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2008, 03:11 AM
3D VFX Artist
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted
For takeoff, I hold RT cyclic mid stick throw and crank the throttle to mid stick and let go of the cyclic at exactly the same time as I throttle up. If the timing is perfect, I can get a perfectly straight liftoff about 4 feet up with no drift at all.
This is the best hovering tip I've gotten since take-off is the hardest part. I've mastered perfectly vertical take-off. Thanks!
tonyastro is offline Find More Posts by tonyastro
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2008, 09:27 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
I've got a couple of basic ?'s [mine usually are] What is the best way to free the links between the servos and the swash? How do you clean your bird [mine tends to get very dusty]? thanx
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Jun 08, 2008, 09:31 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Vaca
I've got a couple of basic ?'s [mine usually are] What is the best way to free the links between the servos and the swash? How do you clean your bird [mine tends to get very dusty]? thanx
Well Microkites gave his one a swim in a pond yesterday.
Now that is cleaning the dirty little bird with style.
Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old Jun 08, 2008, 09:55 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Wish I had a pond, ' Got plenty o' dirt. Softest landing I've made was in a cow pie!
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Jun 08, 2008, 11:21 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined May 2008
92 Posts
im waiting on my 4#3 to arrive but my 5g6 doesnt tend to get dusty. If i did have to clean it id perhaps use gentle squirts of canned compressed air(the type available for blowing dust from keyboards).
storm chaser is offline Find More Posts by storm chaser
Old Jun 08, 2008, 11:25 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined May 2008
92 Posts
not sure about best way of freeing links but i tend to tease them off at 90 degrees to the shaft with a fingernail.
storm chaser is offline Find More Posts by storm chaser
Old Jun 08, 2008, 11:37 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyastro
This is the best hovering tip I've gotten since take-off is the hardest part. I've mastered perfectly vertical take-off. Thanks!
It takes a little practice, but once you get th perfect "let go" on the cyclic with throttle lift, you can make her go straight up with no drift at all

Its a great feeling!
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Jun 08, 2008, 12:40 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined May 2008
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microkites
helishredder-yes there is some play between main gear and shaft-main gear can turn a few degrees before shaft does-think shaft hole is wearing-loctite should fix-but dont think it should effect flight much-but will continue to wear

also training gear-coffee stirrer straws, bamboo skewers,tiny cf rod

make sure tips cant snag-foam ball or even cotton can work
Thanks for your tips micro, yes I assume there was not enough play between the gear on the main motor and the main gear causing too much friction, I glued the main gear to the main rotor shaft and adjusted the play between the gears, no problems for the last 5 flights or so.

I also built a training gear that weighs approx 2g, I made it from straws and hard foam balls with 1" diameter that I found at the hobby and craft store, it works great.. so far no broken parts during my hover training. Unfortunately my gf "stole" my camera.. I will post a pic of the training gear as soon as I have the camera back.

I think what I will try next is the rubber band on the servo link trick to make it a bit more stable.

Also, I have been trying to get a simulator to work with the WK-2401 Tx, I tried SmartPropoPlus, but couldn't get it to work.. has anyone had any success with connecting the tx to a simulator?
HeliShredder is offline Find More Posts by HeliShredder
Old Jun 08, 2008, 02:26 PM
3D VFX Artist
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
I can hover pretty well now. Trying ff but everytime I turn I lose altitude. Can anyone tell me what are good stick movements for turning following ff? Thanks
Old Jun 08, 2008, 02:45 PM
You spent HOW MUCH??????
China Grove, NC
Joined Mar 2008
341 Posts
Great thread... have really learned alot from reading it.

Wanted to ask your all's opinion. I have a wasp V3 4Ch that I've finally can pretty much hover tail in (after a couple of months, to many broken parts) . If I can do that with the wasp would I be able to handle a 4#3B? Would love to go to something smaller?

Thanks for any input you all have.
Steve
asylum56 is offline Find More Posts by asylum56
Old Jun 08, 2008, 02:56 PM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
i think you can pretty much do anything with a 4:3 u can do with a larger FP heli .. but the smaller heli will bring out anywhere you are sloppy and force u to be honest
dze is offline Find More Posts by dze
Old Jun 08, 2008, 03:03 PM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyastro
I can hover pretty well now. Trying ff but everytime I turn I lose altitude. Can anyone tell me what are good stick movements for turning following ff? Thanks
for me its easier to turn right and it feels like the heli responds better to it but its mostly my fingers i think ... but when u turn rather hard while moving forward u have to compensate with throttle and opposite cyclic .. imo knowing the stick movements wont do it .. u just have to do it hundreds of times in the sim or in reals until ur fingers know what to do
Old Jun 08, 2008, 03:48 PM
3D VFX Artist
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
I can do it on the sim. For left turn it's left rudder, left cyclic > back elevator > right cyclic in a smooth rotation. Doesn't work with the 4#3.
Old Jun 08, 2008, 03:59 PM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
it gets really out of shape if u push it hard into a turn with alot of throttle ... thats what i noticed ... it may be the soft orings in the head .. i would say if u know how to do it and the 4#3 doesnt want to, alot of it is the heli itself .. i have the same problem .. i made a vid of me wringing it out as hard as i could in the living room without plowing it into the carpet ... its better .. but it still wont go hard into a turn really fast and pull out gracefully itl get really out of shape the faster you hit it .. i'll post the vid later after i exercize alittle here.. who knows with enough practice it may be possible
Old Jun 08, 2008, 04:24 PM
master 4#3
istanbul Türkiye
Joined Jan 2008
958 Posts
with 4#3b i fly smooth and easy. i can say that the left turns are a little bit harder because of the tail rotor pushing right. i can fly cw circuits but ccw circuits are harder to do. banked turns to the left, oh i cant do that yet
4#3 v1 brushless is very aggressive if you want it to be and it has the power for any movement. also its easy to recover from a bad situation. 4#3b is better in that recover compared to the 4#3 v1 stock in my opinion.
baygenco is offline Find More Posts by baygenco