HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 17, 2008, 01:12 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2007
6,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtwin
So you're saying that the 2.4ghz receiver won't bind to my 2.4ghz transmitter?
Why? Should be as simple as inserting the correct binding plug.

But that "was" the question. Will the new 2.4 receiver bind to a standard 2.4 Tx?

If not, I'll either just scrap my v1, and buy a 4#3 v2
Or just scrap this whole thing.
Yeah, it's a fun little heli, but I got tired of having to constantly replace things. And not through crash damage, just through cheap azzed parts, and crap QA.

Right now, based on my experience with the v1, I can't see myself spending $180 on the v2.
That is correct. Spektrum uses its own exclusive 2.4 Ghz technology as do most manufacturers and it will not bind with the Walkera receiver. All 2.4ghz is not the same. Im not sure if a nicer Walkera 2.4 radio will bind or not. I have a DX7 and am in the the same situation and I can say for sure it will not work without hacking the receiver and figuring out the code to make it work. Way beyond the scope of my understanding There is nothing special about any particular binding plug on a 2.4 setup. The plug does nothing but essentially "short out" the receiver batt port while the bind occurs but has nothing to do with the binding itself. Its basically crossing two wires while you bind. Nothing special about one bind plug vs another other than if it will fit the receiver. There is not batt port on these receivers to bind anyway. It just automatically looks for the Walkera radio when you plug the battery in. I have two 2.4 helis and the heli will bind with whichever TX I happen to have turned on.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2008, 02:23 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2008
214 Posts
Hmm.. Bad news.

Right now, my 4#3 needs a receiver/4-in-1, and a servo.
The servo jitters, and gets HOT
The receiver...
Well..
The tail has gone crazy. It won't hold at all now (and the onset of this was very sudden), and the tail motor stops, dead, at about 3/4 throttle. It starts again above and below that, but at 3/4 throttle, center stick, it's dead.
I've replaced the motor(s), and the wires, and checked connections. The only answer I can come up with is that there is something wrong with the receiver/4-in-1/gyro, ... ? It's all the same unit on these.

I was hoping that since I needed a new one anyway, I could get a 2.4, and bind it to my DX6i. But it doesn't sound like it.
That's disappointing.

Time to ponder the fate of this little heli.
I just bought an EXI 450 that I'm building up, so resources are limited.
Vtwin is offline Find More Posts by Vtwin
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 03:07 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
jasonjetski's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Someone else had this type of symptom recently.
Think back to what happened just before it started to go ape.
Did you do any mods or change the motor before it went bad?
That's it.I remember the other person that had this problem found the gear mesh was too tight on the main motor.
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 05:17 AM
Registered User
Almaz's Avatar
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2006
1,691 Posts
Are you sure tail boom is the same as from original version? From the specs it looks like the B version is longer than original one.
Almaz is offline Find More Posts by Almaz
Last edited by Almaz; May 17, 2008 at 05:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 08:14 AM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaz
Are you sure tail boom is the same as from original version? From the specs it looks like the B version is longer than original one.
not positive-but when I took off my broken v2 boom, looked the same as my v1 I put in its place-hmm will measure later-but differance is minimal if at all

mk
microkites is offline Find More Posts by microkites
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 08:20 AM
I HOOVER because I SUCK!
Portland,Oregon U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2007
5,141 Posts
first alu part failure

well, on about flight 250, I crashed(again!)

broke the button off the alu head!-couldnt find it-so am flying with no button,which is fine, but is the first breakdown of alu part(broke the screw off in the head)

everything else is running fine

my links to blade holder are starting to get looser-now they will come undone in a heavy set down, where before it was 100 crashes or so before I had to pop one back one

this, and the softening of the orings, is the only real wear I have seen as of yet

mk
microkites is offline Find More Posts by microkites
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 10:14 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2008
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaz
Are you sure tail boom is the same as from original version? From the specs it looks like the B version is longer than original one.
The tail boom is same as V1.
Here is the list of parts same as V1:
flybar paddle
Tail rotor
Flybar connector
Rotor head ring
linkage set
Skid landing
Tail gear
Tail knighthead
Tail motor holder
Tail boom
Tail motor wire

Interesting thing is "Tail rotor". If you check, V1 should be using tail rotor in diameter of 50mm, but V2 is 48mm only. Since I got the official catalog from Walkera and indicated Tail Rotor is the same as V1. I called to Walkera to confirm it, and I was told that V1 had changed to use 48mm diameter tail rotor long time ago. Then I checked all my 4#3 V1 and tail rotor parts, yes all are 48mm diameters.
-----------
CJ
(Pre-order of Metal Version 4#3B is only $178 Shipped!)
http://www.chinesejade.com/walkera.htm
tterence is offline Find More Posts by tterence
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 11:06 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2008
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjetski
Someone else had this type of symptom recently.
Think back to what happened just before it started to go ape.
Did you do any mods or change the motor before it went bad?
That's it.I remember the other person that had this problem found the gear mesh was too tight on the main motor.
The onset was:
Burned out the main motor, and replaced it. That's when the problems with the tail started.
I originally thought that maybe it was because I put a new main motor against an older tail motor, so I changed the tail too... twice! Didn't help.

I've checked the gear mesh, although I'm not sure what it should be, but it seems loose, and is not binding. How should that be set?
I've heard of people using a piece of paper on some larger (300-450 size) helis, but I would think that would be to loose for this little guy.

But... Yeah, the trouble started when I changed the main motor.

The servo has been bad for a while now. I was waiting for it to fail completely before I change it. But I doubt that is what is causing the problem since it's not a new thing.

An interesting note:
If I switch the main & tail motors at the receiver, and run it up, they both run up strong, and steady. But put them back in their proper slots, and it's right back to the problem.
Vtwin is offline Find More Posts by Vtwin
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 11:34 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2007
6,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtwin
Hmm.. Bad news.

Right now, my 4#3 needs a receiver/4-in-1, and a servo.
The servo jitters, and gets HOT
The receiver...
Well..
The tail has gone crazy. It won't hold at all now (and the onset of this was very sudden), and the tail motor stops, dead, at about 3/4 throttle. It starts again above and below that, but at 3/4 throttle, center stick, it's dead.
I've replaced the motor(s), and the wires, and checked connections. The only answer I can come up with is that there is something wrong with the receiver/4-in-1/gyro, ... ? It's all the same unit on these.

I was hoping that since I needed a new one anyway, I could get a 2.4, and bind it to my DX6i. But it doesn't sound like it.
That's disappointing.

Time to ponder the fate of this little heli.
I just bought an EXI 450 that I'm building up, so resources are limited.
I know how you feel. I bought the first version of the 4#3 long before most in the forum even had one. I had one under name "Buzzfly" from the UK before the Walkera craze hit hard around October of last year with everyone and I spent more time working on it than flying it. Constant broken parts and parts needeing adjustment, bad electronic glitching and burining up main and tail motors after only a couple flights.
I must say though now, that the newer 2.4 version has been a dream! I spend little to no time doing anything but flying. I was so impressed that I bought two...metal and plastic version and love them both. Walkera seems to have adressed almost all of the issues from the past so if you are constantly suffering with frustration from yours and you do need new servos and a new 4&1, you may just be better off spending the 130.00 bucks it takes to get a brand new 2.4 version. Even the radio is bigger and better and feels more "grown up". Both of mine flew right out of the box (this assumes you can fly this little guy in the first palce) so I rarely if ever crash bad enough to do any damage so I am very happy now
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 12:01 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2008
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted
I know how you feel. I bought the first version of the 4#3 long before most in the forum even had one. I had one under name "Buzzfly" from the UK before the Walkera craze hit hard around October of last year with everyone and I spent more time working on it than flying it. Constant broken parts and parts needeing adjustment, bad electronic glitching and burining up main and tail motors after only a couple flights.
I must say though now, that the newer 2.4 version has been a dream! I spend little to no time doing anything but flying. I was so impressed that I bought two...metal and plastic version and love them both. Walkera seems to have adressed almost all of the issues from the past so if you are constantly suffering with frustration from yours and you do need new servos and a new 4&1, you may just be better off spending the 130.00 bucks it takes to get a brand new 2.4 version. Even the radio is bigger and better and feels more "grown up". Both of mine flew right out of the box (this assumes you can fly this little guy in the first palce) so I rarely if ever crash bad enough to do any damage so I am very happy now
That's a very encouraging report on the new version. I'm glad to hear that Walkera was listening and addressed the problems. Even my daughters have commented: "Dad, it sure seems like you work on that one a lot, how come?"
Yeah, it's pretty frustrating.

I "think" I've resolved the 4-in-1 issue though! (not totally confirmed yet, I'm charging the battery now).
It bothered me that the onset of the problem was so sudden, and seemingly in direct relation to when I changed the main motor. So that together with the comment above about someone having similar issues, and it being related to the gear mesh, I gave it a play.
Tried it looser.. nope, same problem.
Tighter.. BINGO! The tail seems to run all the way up the scale now!
I made a brief flight, and it glitched a time or two at first, and then settled back down.
I'm encouraged! I may have found the problem! - this time -

Even if this is solved, I think there will be a 4#3B in my not to distant future. I think the improvements are worth the investment, and I'll most likely retire my battle worn 4#3.

But for today, I just may have this conquered!
- I hope! -

I'll be back with a report later.
Vtwin is offline Find More Posts by Vtwin
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 01:28 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2007
6,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtwin
That's a very encouraging report on the new version. I'm glad to hear that Walkera was listening and addressed the problems. Even my daughters have commented: "Dad, it sure seems like you work on that one a lot, how come?"
Yeah, it's pretty frustrating.

I "think" I've resolved the 4-in-1 issue though! (not totally confirmed yet, I'm charging the battery now).
It bothered me that the onset of the problem was so sudden, and seemingly in direct relation to when I changed the main motor. So that together with the comment above about someone having similar issues, and it being related to the gear mesh, I gave it a play.
Tried it looser.. nope, same problem.
Tighter.. BINGO! The tail seems to run all the way up the scale now!
I made a brief flight, and it glitched a time or two at first, and then settled back down.
I'm encouraged! I may have found the problem! - this time -

Even if this is solved, I think there will be a 4#3B in my not to distant future. I think the improvements are worth the investment, and I'll most likely retire my battle worn 4#3.

But for today, I just may have this conquered!
- I hope! -

I'll be back with a report later.
Good to hear!! Hope all works out and you are back in the air again. It could have a been a vibration issue with the mesh too loose. The gyro on these things are really sensitive and the noise in the teeth may have been making the 4&1 do crazy things to you
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 01:43 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2008
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted
Good to hear!! Hope all works out and you are back in the air again. It could have a been a vibration issue with the mesh too loose. The gyro on these things are really sensitive and the noise in the teeth may have been making the 4&1 do crazy things to you
That was a premature report.
It's still doing it.

I think this one is shelf fodder.
While I like the idea of a heli this size, based on my experience with this one, I'd be very VERY hard pressed to spend even more money on another one. I personally would consider this to be a horrible waste of time, and money.
Vtwin is offline Find More Posts by Vtwin
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 03:30 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2007
6,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtwin
That was a premature report.
It's still doing it.

I think this one is shelf fodder.
While I like the idea of a heli this size, based on my experience with this one, I'd be very VERY hard pressed to spend even more money on another one. I personally would consider this to be a horrible waste of time, and money.
I guess its really all in what the user really wants. The same money could go to a nice 400-450 size heli if thats what your after, but if its a nice little indoor heli, this one cant be beat in its newest form.
Happy flying whatever your decision may be
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 03:59 PM
Registered User
sketchaholic's Avatar
Bay Area California
Joined Apr 2007
2,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtwin
That was a premature report.
It's still doing it.

I think this one is shelf fodder.
While I like the idea of a heli this size, based on my experience with this one, I'd be very VERY hard pressed to spend even more money on another one. I personally would consider this to be a horrible waste of time, and money.
If you removed the 4in1 from the body to get to the little plugs and the foam tape isn't as sticky any more you could try replacing the tape so that the 4in1 is held securely to the frame. Any vibrations on the 4in1 will also cause odd results.
sketchaholic is offline Find More Posts by sketchaholic
Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 06:54 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2007
149 Posts
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/whYCxShBPKE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/whYCxShBPKE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>


P.S xrayted, are you in UK? I assume so since you bought from buzzflyer. Where did you get your 4#3b? Ive got one on order from terrence but am just curios.
drscraggs is offline Find More Posts by drscraggs
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-Review New Walkera 4#3 Pros and Cons ApachePilot Micro Helis 23 Jun 01, 2008 05:17 AM
Discussion Sweet! new walkera 4#3 2.4g heli on ebay _HypnoToad_ Micro Helis 11 Apr 23, 2008 08:55 AM
New Walkera #4 today KDX Micro Helis 12 Jun 01, 2005 04:34 AM
New Walkera 4 Dragonlfy owner! IceWind Micro Helis 7 May 03, 2005 02:46 AM
New Multiplex 4 Engine Cargo with speed control !!!! Looks like a B-17 Joe Pierson Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Sep 06, 2001 01:48 AM