HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2008, 02:28 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmots
Oh one more thing.. will there be a plug-n-play or a bind-n-fly version of this plane sold?
That might be a possibility, but we don't have one in the pipeline at the moment.

David
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2008, 06:38 AM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
767 Posts
apprentice

Well spoke to horizon on Monday and they said they would send a new plane out this week,hope to have it for the long weekend,anyone add bigger wheels Yet i
remember the nose was down a bit and thought i would add 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 in and this thing would land on any grass high or low

Ron
snoopy3440 is offline Find More Posts by snoopy3440
Old Aug 27, 2008, 03:35 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
767 Posts
Apprentice

If your passing threw south jersey today and see and guy and his son with big smiles its me and my son, our new apprentice showed up today and by son had a smile from ear to ear,thank you David and horizon ,Like Sal said in an earlier post they did the right thing and me and my son are grateful,i put it together and i glued,welded,solder,pressed,hammered and everything else,to these horns,seriously i just added some ca to them for insurance and am busy til tomorrow so we may maiden then,i am looking forward to flying this again,we are going on vacation after the long weekend to the jersey shore for 2 weeks and we will be bringing the apprentice,also ordered and should have a dx6i from hz by Friday it seems like it going to be a great vacation,hope to have a corsair when i return

Thanks everyone for your inputs and thanks again David and Horizon for being a first class company

Ron
snoopy3440 is offline Find More Posts by snoopy3440
Old Aug 28, 2008, 07:07 AM
Slidell, LA, USA
Joined Nov 2002
715 Posts
Mine arrived last Friday. It was in almost perfect shape. The box had been loaded a bit on the top and this caused some damage to one of the aileron horns (got squished a bit into the foam. I will beef the area up prior to flight).

I am impressed with the plane. My boy is gonna have a GREAT birthday!!!

The manual for the Spektrum DX5e says that the trainer function can be used "with any JR or Spektrum transmitter". Do the REALLY mean that? I am not a JR guy, but I have an old Unlimited Series VIII transmitter, that I bought from Circus Hobbies back in 1980 or '81. The batteries are, of course, completely gone. Will this old thing function as a trainer box with this new Spektrum???

Thanks guys.
woketman is offline Find More Posts by woketman
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:17 AM
Lake City, PA USA
Joined Sep 1999
333 Posts
Just a minor note on the trainer thing. I bound my extra DX6i to the apprentice and used the included 5i with a trainer cord with a student. It works great. My only minor criticizm is that the cord plugs into the side of the 5i right at the spot you would hold the transmitter. So, it is a bit awkward to hold when using the cord. The cord plugs into the 6i on the back, so it works fine.

Similar problem with the 5i and FS-One simulator cord.

Gene
GeneR is offline Find More Posts by GeneR
Old Aug 29, 2008, 05:36 PM
plane-air=ground
USA, TX, Ingleside
Joined Oct 2007
366 Posts
is it true that the reverse switches have to match both transmitters to use the 5i as a trainer box?
helisailor is offline Find More Posts by helisailor
Old Aug 29, 2008, 06:06 PM
France
Joined Mar 2008
121 Posts
This looks like a very nice plane to learn how to fly.

Anyone found a video of it flying? takeoff, landing?
tino_ale is offline Find More Posts by tino_ale
Old Aug 29, 2008, 06:46 PM
Lake City, PA USA
Joined Sep 1999
333 Posts
Yes,
You need to have the reversing switches (or settings if you are using a computer radio) match each other between master and slave. This is pretty much the rule with any radio. When I do a ground check with the radio I do it first then walk the student through the process with the trainer switch enabled so they get in the habit of checking this too. If we have a switch amiss that finds it.

Gene
GeneR is offline Find More Posts by GeneR
Old Sep 10, 2008, 05:34 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
I ordered mine yesterday can't wait
Please, how could i connect dx5e to pc for some simulation practice?
Any Float set for that in near future?
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:26 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Ah, I just stumbled across this thread..

I was hoping someone had ARF'd the old school Apprentice Tower used to sell back in the day.. It was a rockin' fun lil' airplane:

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Sep 10, 2008, 07:33 PM
Slidell, LA, USA
Joined Nov 2002
715 Posts
My son and I flew the new Apprentice on Sunday. PLENTY of power, much more than I expected. Nice plane & radio for the money.

I even briefly drug the top of the vertical stab through the grass on a low inverted pass. Made my boy squeel!!!

Only thing I don't like is the wheels. They are a bit small for grass field ops. I'll put bigger ones on there soon.
woketman is offline Find More Posts by woketman
Old Sep 12, 2008, 04:23 PM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
so don't forget to post some pics of that mode
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Old Sep 13, 2008, 04:32 AM
Timmmaaaahhh!!!
NW Indiana
Joined Mar 2008
502 Posts
Will the receiver that comes with the Apprentice bind with the DX6i? Sure wish that this plane came as PNP.

Tim
whitehawk is offline Find More Posts by whitehawk
Old Sep 13, 2008, 09:43 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehawk
Will the receiver that comes with the Apprentice bind with the DX6i? Sure wish that this plane came as PNP.

Tim
Yes, the AR500 that comes with the Apprentice will bind with the DX6i.

Thanks,

David
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 13, 2008, 09:54 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.guzun
I ordered mine yesterday can't wait
Please, how could i connect dx5e to pc for some simulation practice?
Any Float set for that in near future?
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM1800

This is a wireless adapter that lets you connect to the pc using the rf link.

They won't be back in stock until at least mid-October, probably later.

David
Horizon
Site Sponsor