HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2010, 01:54 PM
RDRC NC USA
Joined Mar 2009
569 Posts
Agree, I would never take a 3S below 11.4 or so. Not worth it for a few more minutes in the air. Even at 11.15 for the pack some of the cells might be under water.

Even with a balance charger they can vary enough to take some cells into the dead zone even though the pack as a whole shows 11 volts.

We use a little tool ($2.50usd) the shows the charge in each cell & the total for the pack. Works up to 6S
BEAR-AvHistory is offline Find More Posts by BEAR-AvHistory
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2010, 01:59 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
That's the one! Worth every penny.
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Old Jun 20, 2010, 02:13 PM
RDRC NC USA
Joined Mar 2009
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr-boise View Post
That's the one! Worth every penny.
Yep they are. All my 3S batteries are from Feb '09 and are still the only 3S batteries I have.

They are run almost every time I go to the field which being retired can be any day of the week.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 04:07 PM
Near Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
Oops, I did not know that. I've been doing that for a year and a half, same batts ?
Parkk is offline Find More Posts by Parkk
Old Jun 20, 2010, 06:00 PM
RDRC NC USA
Joined Mar 2009
569 Posts
I bought the Apprentice & Eflite T-34 at the same time & they came with 3S batteries. Added two more from HobbyCity. Still use all four.

My other batteries are 3S1300's for some WWI Bi & T you should use & not send a plane planes, 3S2200 for a helicopter, 4S/5S 4000/5000's for WWII fighters/bombers & the Sr.Telemaster I just crashed & am rebuilding now.

Have not lost a battery or plane to over or under charge. I expect you can do it with out this device but when you switch hands on your batteries its easy to see which one you should use & not send a plane up with an about to be dead battery.

You can buy 3 & get them shipped from China for about $10usd all in.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:41 AM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkk View Post
Oops, I did not know that. I've been doing that for a year and a half, same batts ?

Amazing! Well, I'm curious now; how many flgihts /re-charges do you think you might have on those batteries?

Over on the Batteries and Chargers forum, you might ask those folks about your experience. If you're flying to 9.9v, and you've been doing that on the same battery/batteries for a year and a half, I'd be interested to see their response. It might be that you'll get a hundred cycles out of your battery instead of 400, but I don't know.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:17 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,309 Posts
Quote:
Harrow,

Wow! How did you do it? Glide half the time? Coat all the outer surfaces with Teflon?

What's your technique?
Nothing special. I wanted to see just how long I could keep it in the air, so I simply took off and did level circuits around the park at about 10 feet altitude at the slowest possible speed until the ESC cut the power on low volts. It was so boring that a few times I found myself watching it and forgot that it was ME that was flying, almost running into the trees at the end of the park.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:32 PM
USA, CA, Livermore
Joined May 2010
439 Posts
Hey guys...
I cant find a thread for a DX5e Transmitter.... so i thought id come here...
If you buy a RTF with a spektrum reciever...but it comes with a Dx5e reciever...can i use my dx6i controller and bind it with the plane?
Thanks,
GD18
RCSwitz18 is offline Find More Posts by RCSwitz18
Old Jun 22, 2010, 05:59 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by golferdude18 View Post
Hey guys...
I cant find a thread for a DX5e Transmitter.... so i thought id come here...
If you buy a RTF with a spektrum reciever...but it comes with a Dx5e reciever...can i use my dx6i controller and bind it with the plane?
Thanks,
GD18
Absolutely yes!
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:51 PM
Near Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
Quote:
Amazing! Well, I'm curious now; how many flgihts /re-charges do you think you might have on those batteries?

Over on the Batteries and Chargers forum, you might ask those folks about your experience. If you're flying to 9.9v, and you've been doing that on the same battery/batteries for a year and a half, I'd be interested to see their response. It might be that you'll get a hundred cycles out of your battery instead of 400, but I don't know.
Here's what I've gone by;
Remember, a fully charged Lipo cell is about 4.20 volts, and Lipo cells should not be more than 4.25 volts, or less than 3.0 volts.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:23 PM
USA, CA, Livermore
Joined May 2010
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
Absolutely yes!
alright! can i bind with a dx5e? (a different one?)
RCSwitz18 is offline Find More Posts by RCSwitz18
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:36 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
golferdude: Have you rtfm?

Parkk: Are you really building a B-17?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:25 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by golferdude18 View Post
alright! can i bind with a dx5e? (a different one?)
Yes. I'm guessing you know that the receiver will only remember the most recent transmitter that it was bound to.

Oh, and before you ask, yes, you can bind it to a DSX9, and a 9303, and even a few more.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 06:54 AM
Near Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
Quote:
golferdude: Have you rtfm?

Parkk: Are you really building a B-17?
Yep, http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52183

Don't know when I'll finish, been busy. I only have about 12 to 15 hours of build time left.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 05:09 AM
Flyer Down Under
Moruya, NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2008
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkk View Post
Yep, http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52183

Don't know when I'll finish, been busy. I only have about 12 to 15 hours of build time left.
Did you sort out the weight issues? Will you keep it as a display model or are you going to deck it out with R/C gear and motors to fly it?

Good luck

CB
Crow Boy is offline Find More Posts by Crow Boy