SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 17, 2010, 07:24 AM
RDRC NC USA
Joined Mar 2009
569 Posts
They don't do all that much for this plane & cut down the effectiveness of the ailerons, but if you really want them, spoilerons seem to be a better choice.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline Find More Posts by BEAR-AvHistory
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2010, 02:17 PM
Videography and stuff
Joined Oct 2009
200 Posts
Well I ordered this motor, it's specs seem close enough: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7393

There are no measurments with a 3s lipo and a 11X8 prop, so I might even be able to stick with the stock 30A ESC.

Here's the original's size and weight:
shaprap is offline Find More Posts by shaprap
Old May 17, 2010, 04:58 PM
Joined Jan 2010
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaprap View Post
Well I ordered this motor, it's specs seem close enough: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7393

There are no measurments with a 3s lipo and a 11X8 prop, so I might even be able to stick with the stock 30A ESC.

Here's the original's size and weight:
Let us know how it fairs. I agree E-flite is little pricey, but was available at our shop. So got me flying quicker. The power 25 motor is built alot better then the stock one just as a reference to everyone. I've crashed the nose first with this motor about 10 times and still holding up. The stock motor axle bends easy causing the magnetics to bind. And going with E-flite, no firewall mods needed.
rcflyer112 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer112
Old May 17, 2010, 05:29 PM
Flyer Down Under
Moruya, NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2008
110 Posts
Ever do something and after the event look at the result and think "what was I thinking?"

The night before I go flying I charge up my lipo's for the plane and also the battery in my transmitter. I was in a bit of a hurry and plugged the wrong connector into my Spektrum DX7 and managed to fry it. (sigh) I have given it back to where I bought it and it may be possible to repair it. Meanwhile I am not able to fly.
Crow Boy is offline Find More Posts by Crow Boy
Old May 17, 2010, 08:53 PM
Joined Jan 2010
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow Boy View Post
Ever do something and after the event look at the result and think "what was I thinking?"

The night before I go flying I charge up my lipo's for the plane and also the battery in my transmitter. I was in a bit of a hurry and plugged the wrong connector into my Spektrum DX7 and managed to fry it. (sigh) I have given it back to where I bought it and it may be possible to repair it. Meanwhile I am not able to fly.
Bummer
rcflyer112 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer112
Old May 18, 2010, 02:02 AM
Flyer Down Under
Moruya, NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2008
110 Posts
Found the problem and fixed it. Fortunately it was only a fuse and easily fixed. Depending on the weather I will be out flying tomorrow morning.

CB
Old May 18, 2010, 10:54 AM
USA, GA, Norcross
Joined Jul 2009
333 Posts
Thank God for cheap fuses! Best insurance policy ever!!!
robtest is offline Find More Posts by robtest
Old May 20, 2010, 02:56 PM
pattern
Indiana
Joined Oct 2009
134 Posts
how well does it fly in wind and how many miles an hour of wind is it capible of
Matt51 is offline Find More Posts by Matt51
Old May 20, 2010, 04:21 PM
USA, GA, Norcross
Joined Jul 2009
333 Posts
It is a floaty plane, so flight characteristics in heavy wind are a bit odd, but I have flown mine in 15 mph, gusting to 25 mph without too much trouble. Something a little more aerodynamic would probably be a better choice though...
Old May 20, 2010, 09:56 PM
Flyer Down Under
Moruya, NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2008
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtest View Post
It is a floaty plane, so flight characteristics in heavy wind are a bit odd, but I have flown mine in 15 mph, gusting to 25 mph without too much trouble. Something a little more aerodynamic would probably be a better choice though...
I agree with you, the fact that it is a large, light and "floaty" plane make it a great trainer but in wind or worse in gusty conditions it can be a bit of a handful. I personally don't much like flying the Apprentice in anything more than about 10knots. I flew one time on on final approach to land (into the wind) the plane was almost hovering over the runway. I had to drop the nose quite hard just to get down onto the ground.

CB
Old May 21, 2010, 04:08 PM
pattern
Indiana
Joined Oct 2009
134 Posts
thanks and from your experience with the plane do you say it is a good trainer for someone new in the hole rc thing
Matt51 is offline Find More Posts by Matt51
Old May 21, 2010, 04:47 PM
USA, GA, Norcross
Joined Jul 2009
333 Posts
It is a 4 channel with ailerons... Excellent if you have access to an AMA field and some instructors to get you started on a buddy box. If you are starting out new and learning on your own, you probably want to start with a 3 channel, like the Super Cub
Old May 21, 2010, 06:33 PM
Flyer Down Under
Moruya, NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2008
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt51 View Post
thanks and from your experience with the plane do you say it is a good trainer for someone new in the hole rc thing
I personally would not recommend it as a first plane for anyone UNLESS they have someone who is an experienced pilot with them while they fly. Also it is a fairly big plane and needs a fair bit of room to fly. A decent sized park will suffice but if it is hemmed in by trees or a bit smaller you will find it a bit tight to comfortably fly. Add in wandering pedestrians, interested onlookers and you have the potential for a dangerous situation where the plane is out of your control.

As a basic new pilot I would suggest first buying a simple three channel plane and using the Apprentice as a second step. If you have access to a club field and a trainer then discuss with them using the Apprentice as a first plane. The club where I fly start everyone on on a three channel fun fly plane and then we move up to the Apprentice after we have the basics in hand. The first plane is usually stuck on a wardrobe for a while and then gets hauled out after we crash the Apprentice and need a plane while we wait for replacement bits to arrive in the mail The fun fly then gets upgraded with LiPo batteries and a brushless motor etc. They usually end up as a hotrod mongrel of sorts that is way beyond the initial design but a lot of fun to fly. Meanwhile the Apprentice is flown as it was intended ie as a Trainer in a club environment.

Hope that helps

CB
Old May 23, 2010, 12:09 AM
Flyer Down Under
Moruya, NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2008
110 Posts
Gonna need more than glue for this (sigh)

Went for a flight this morning at the club field. Did everything as normal, turned on the transmitter (Spectrum DX7) then attached the battery to the model. Checked all the control surfaces and then carried the Apprentice onto the strip. Rechecked the controls and took off. All normal, nice smooth take off then a bank left. Reduced throttle and the plane settled into its straight and level flight. Tried to do another left to go on the down wind leg and nothing, nada, nitch, no control. The plane was straight and level and heading for the trees. I called out that I had lost control and was frantically pushing and pulling the controls, suddenly over the trees it went into full power and in a vertical descent.

Know that sound when a plane hits timber at speed? "THWAK!"

This is the picture before and then two of the after

This is not going to be a repair job

sigh

CB
Old May 23, 2010, 09:08 AM
Near Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
It looks like someone broke it over their knee.
Parkk is offline Find More Posts by Parkk