to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2010, 04:41 PM
Flyer Down Under
Moruya, NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2008
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG43 View Post
Well, I just got back from flying my Apprentice. This is the first time in 3 outings that I came home without any broken parts. I was able to take off and land 3 times successfully. It wasn't much fun flying at first...it it was a hand-full, but I figured it out and got more comfortable and felt more in control after a while.
Always a good day when you get to fly the plane and bring it home without any bits missing or broken. One point to consider is that while the plane is a handful with the power 25, you now only need to use part of the available power. You don't need to be at full throttle to fly, reduce throttle to a happy cruise. That will also increase your flight times. When you get more experienced you can use that extra power to start doing loops, rolls etc. My only concern when reading about your motor change was that you could pull the wings off the fuselage under full throttle when doing things like loops or even on take off. You may need to consider putting in a couple of wooden dowel pegs and nylon bolts to hold them together in flight but easy removal for transport.

Quote:
My Apprentice is stock other than the Power 25. I think a radio with expo and epa adjustments would help me a lot. I'm using the Dx5e but think I'll get a DX7. I might take the red washers out from the left side of the motor mount also-I don't think they are supposed to be there.
I bought the DX7 from the get go, great radio and a good choice. It was and still is too much radio for my needs but has a lot of long term benefits and worth the cost.

The washers add side thrust and help overcome the thrust effect from the motor. Looking at the motor front on they should be on the LHS. If you take them off it will cause the plane to twist to the right. This is most noticeable on take off. If you remove then the plane will pull left and can nose over. This was a major problem I had with mine.
Quote:
tlr, I really need to get the manual out and check my CoG. I went to the field with a 1/2oz. in the back and put another 1/2oz. and it seemed better with the weight, but it might have just been me getting more comfortable with the plane. I should have marked the CoG with the stock motor and I should have weighed the stock motor and Power 25 to get an idea how much different they are.
I got my weights from a tyre store, they have a sticky back and are used to help balance wheels. The Apprentice isn't a heavy plane because it is made of foam which is light. I found that adding a small amount of weight helped in windy conditions. Don't stick in half a house brick but a couple of bits of lead will work.

Quote:
All in all, things went great today. Thanks for the help everyone.
happy to help, everyone including me has been given similar help on this forum, one of the many great things about it. Have fun and happy flying
Crow Boy is offline Find More Posts by Crow Boy
Old May 08, 2010, 04:44 PM
Flyer Down Under
Moruya, NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2008
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamcrazee View Post
Is the air frame only available?
Where in US to get the airframe only?
In the US you are very lucky to have stores such as Horizon Hobby. The fuselage is available as a part only and HH have them. They are cheap.

Here in Australia, we buy a second ARF plane and use that as spare parts. It works out much cheaper.

CB
Crow Boy is offline Find More Posts by Crow Boy
Old May 08, 2010, 10:44 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Quote:
I really need to get the manual out and check my CoG.
Um, well, yep. Page 28 in the manual, where it states: "Caution: Do not inadvertantly skip this step!"

And actually, every manual I've read states about the same thing. It's critical.

Although, with the Apprentice, it's an RTF, foamie, very forgiving, not much to assemble, and unless you're using different batteries and motors, the C0G won't change much. So, might not be so critical.

But if your Apprentice was a handful, flying, well it might be a CoG issue; don't know. My first flights were sweaty and I don't think I exhaled until I landed, but the plane defintely wasn't a handful to fly; it was easy.

I'm kind of a newbie too, but people say if your plane is nose heavy, you can fly it, but if it's tail heavy, you'll crash it, or you'll be lucky to land it OK. That's what they say.
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Old May 09, 2010, 02:30 AM
Glens Falls, NY
Joined Apr 2010
1,296 Posts
Crow Boy and trl-boise,

I probably should have explained better what I meant by being a handfull. I should also say first that I actually flew at 1/4 throttle (very slow-possibly TOO slow) most of the time.

The plane just seemed to move around a bit, I think it was just due to the gusting high winds and slow speed I was flying.
The other thing was after making a turn...once in a while, it would nose dive at a very high rate of speed. I got better with that though. I think I was just flying so slow that it actually stalled the dived. It made smoother turns when I went faster.

I think I just need more time behind the transmitter.

I'm sure if you guys were at the field you could give me some pointers. There are some experienced pilots where I fly, I'll ask them to check things over next time I see them there.
TG43 is offline Find More Posts by TG43
Old May 09, 2010, 05:57 AM
Near Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
Quote:
Crow Boy and trl-boise,

I probably should have explained better what I meant by being a handfull. I should also say first that I actually flew at 1/4 throttle (very slow-possibly TOO slow) most of the time.

The plane just seemed to move around a bit, I think it was just due to the gusting high winds and slow speed I was flying.
The other thing was after making a turn...once in a while, it would nose dive at a very high rate of speed. I got better with that though. I think I was just flying so slow that it actually stalled the dived. It made smoother turns when I went faster.

I think I just need more time behind the transmitter.

I'm sure if you guys were at the field you could give me some pointers. There are some experienced pilots where I fly, I'll ask them to check things over next time I see them there.
The steeper your turn (bank angle) requires up-elevator to compensate for the loss of vertical lift.
Parkk is offline Find More Posts by Parkk
Old May 09, 2010, 02:26 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Hi TG43,

Yep, this plane is a good trainer, but try not to crash it, and you're likely to, if you try to learn on your own, with it as your first plane. Ask me how I know. (I learned on my own, and this was my first plane, after some small helis.)

I'm no expert, by any means, but here's what I've learned, that might apply to your efforts.

1. When learning, don't fly in wind. Just forget it, even though you might be tempted. It's not worth it. Just go home or watch what others do, if there are other fliers. This plane has a big wing, light weight, and will bounce around in wind. It will bounce up, and it will bounce DOWN. Any wind more than 5 - 6 mph, I'd say, is too much, at first. Do your flying on calm days.

2. Fly at half throttle or more. 1/4 throttle or 1/3 is too little. Yep it will stall, try to stall, recover, depending on wind fluctuation. With wind, you really can't know, as a new flyer, what the plane is doing, vs what you are doing, vs what the wind is doing. It's just impossible.

3. Fly three mistakes high. If you're new, and you fly slow, and low, and with wind, you are really, REALLY lucky you didn't nose it in. All that is a bad combination of no-no's.

4. Also, take-offs. Try to take off smooth and scale, although sometimes this plane can jump steeply up high, quickly, at full throttle, with no problem. The reason I advise this is because if you get in the habit of climbing out steeply and quickly, but if you back off the throttle a little too much just once, and you're ten, twenty feet up, it will tip stall, veer left and head straight down so fast you will be surprised. Crash is inevitable.
Old May 09, 2010, 02:27 PM
Videography and stuff
Joined Oct 2009
200 Posts
Still no proper link to a motor replacement?
shaprap is offline Find More Posts by shaprap
Old May 09, 2010, 05:00 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
??

Power 15 is a direct replacement, they say. Power 25, too, but I put in a bigger ESC to be safe. I love the Hyperion ZS3020-10, but takes some work to fit, and a still bigger ESC.
Old May 12, 2010, 02:58 PM
Joined Jan 2010
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaprap View Post
Still no proper link to a motor replacement?

I really love this more powerful replacement. Fit's right up to existing motor mount and then can run bigger prop. My hobby shop upgraded my ESC to 45amp ESC too.. Link also below.. I realize this will seem a little pricey, but onced I upgraded, I love it and have really good vertical climb. Battery last maybe 1 minute less fly time then the stock 15.

Part # EFLM4025A

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...Listing&Tag=PF

Recommend 40-45amp

Thunderbird 54 (plug and play esc)
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/thunderbi...QueryId=634144

Video below..
rcflyer112 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer112
Old May 12, 2010, 02:59 PM
Joined Jan 2010
64 Posts
E-Flite Apprentice 25 Motor ATC2K Cam Golden CO Rooney Eflite FPV (3 min 32 sec)
rcflyer112 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer112
Old May 16, 2010, 12:14 AM
Videography and stuff
Joined Oct 2009
200 Posts
I'm not going to spend 90$ on a motor that I might break in a crash (I'm a beginner and still crash some times).

The HK 35-48-B is out of stock for two months and I'm tired of waiting.

What do y'all think about these RCTIMER motors?
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?app=goods&spec_id=146 - using the stock ESC
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?app=goods&spec_id=251 - needs 40A ESC

Both for a 11X8 prop and both require mount and cowel modification.
shaprap is offline Find More Posts by shaprap
Old May 16, 2010, 04:42 PM
RDRC NC USA
Joined Mar 2009
569 Posts
Try here, his line-up is similar to eflites

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/StoreFront
BEAR-AvHistory is offline Find More Posts by BEAR-AvHistory
Old May 17, 2010, 01:57 AM
Timmmaaaahhh!!!
NW Indiana
Joined Mar 2008
502 Posts
Can anyone comment on the use of spoilerons vs. flaperons for this plane? Just seems like it wants to glide for ever...I have to completely shut off the motor to get it to settle down for final touchdown.
whitehawk is offline Find More Posts by whitehawk
Old May 17, 2010, 07:19 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehawk View Post
Can anyone comment on the use of spoilerons vs. flaperons for this plane? Just seems like it wants to glide for ever...I have to completely shut off the motor to get it to settle down for final touchdown.
I went through this issue for a while. In the end I just got used to slowing down and coming down doing a couple of circuits until I was low enough to land.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow