HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2010, 06:44 PM
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
How do I embed a youtube link?
(sorry I did do a quick search to see how)

Thanks!
Neil_M is offline Find More Posts by Neil_M
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2010, 06:48 PM
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
no luck yet
Old Apr 29, 2010, 08:05 PM
USA, WI, Argonne
Joined Jul 2008
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_M View Post
How do I embed a youtube link?
(sorry I did do a quick search to see how)

Thanks!
Just use the normal link under the share button

Real Flight Sim (1 min 10 sec)
Dreadan is offline Find More Posts by Dreadan
Old Apr 29, 2010, 09:01 PM
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
Thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:31 PM
Videography and stuff
Joined Oct 2009
200 Posts
Nice landing Neil, next time add the transmitter window so we can see your sticks...

What's the simulator set up you're using?
I converted the NexStar EP to a larger motor and heavier battery, but it's just for landing practice and not resembling like the Apprentice.
shaprap is offline Find More Posts by shaprap
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:23 AM
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
I used as is, I wanted it to be as close to the Apprentice as possible. Was interesting when the wind blew at about 14mph, the plane flew almost sideways when landing LOL.
Old May 01, 2010, 06:07 PM
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
Here is one with the consoles shown.
(Hope this works, I dont see a "Share" button)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Realflight 2010-04-30 12-25-34-68 (0 min 50 sec)
Old May 01, 2010, 06:14 PM
USA, GA, Norcross
Joined Jul 2009
333 Posts
looking good... tad bit of rudder just at touchdown will straighten you back up.
robtest is offline Find More Posts by robtest
Old May 01, 2010, 10:10 PM
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
The wind makes it an interesting flight, trying diff techniques. Hopeing to be able to tangle wind irregularities
Old May 07, 2010, 11:38 PM
Glens Falls, NY
Joined Apr 2010
1,295 Posts
I just got a Power 25. It weighs a bit more than the stock motor. How do I correct the CG? Or does it need to be corrected. I don't know? I'm a newbie.

Can anyone point me to a decent esc for my Power 25 motor? I'm looking for something cheap. Are there any cheaper alternatives to the Power 15/25 motor that are a direct replacement? (Don't want to make an adapter) Just curious?

What size wrench is needed for the prop shaft set screw? I'm guessing it's metric?
TG43 is offline Find More Posts by TG43
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by TG43; May 08, 2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old May 08, 2010, 03:53 AM
Flyer Down Under
Moruya, NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2008
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG43 View Post
I just got a Power 25. It weighs a bit more than the stock motor. How do I correct the CG? Or does it need to be corrected. I don't know? I'm a newbie.
The CoG will still be in the same place so you will need to balance the extra weight of the motor around it to keep it in the same place.
Quote:
Can anyone point me to a decent esc for my Power 25 motor?
It will vary according to a number of factors but you are probably looking at an ESC around 40amps however if you may need to jump to a 60amp depending on the battery and prop combination.

Quote:
I'm looking for something cheap. Are there any cheaper alternatives to the Power 15/25 motor that are a direct replacement? (Don't want to make an adapter) Just curious?
There are definitely many cheaper alternatives to the motor BUT not a direct drop in replacement. You will probably need to make some sort of modified mounting.
Quote:
What size wrench is needed for the prop shaft set screw? I'm guessing it's metric?
Mine is 12mm but it is going to depend on what your current motor is. Try a shifting spanner, either metric or imperial will fit.

CB
Crow Boy is offline Find More Posts by Crow Boy
Old May 08, 2010, 09:42 AM
Glens Falls, NY
Joined Apr 2010
1,295 Posts
Thanks Crow Boy.

What do flyers typically use for weight and how do I secure it? Just lead squares with double sided tape stuck to the plane through the opening in the back? I would be interested in hearing how much and where people put weight on the Apprentice when using a Power 25.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2010, 12:10 PM
RDRC NC USA
Joined Mar 2009
569 Posts
I stuck a few squares (2-3?), with CA, to the flat part of the top side of the fuselage below the rudder.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline Find More Posts by BEAR-AvHistory
Old May 08, 2010, 02:19 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
TG43, Is your Apprentice CoG off from the spec; a little nose-heavy? If so--if it's nose heavy--I would not worry about it, just keep a steady pressure on the elevator stick if you need to. I fly with mine a little nose heavy, because I fly with the Thunder Power 4350mAh batteries. They fit OK, but weigh a little more than the stock batt.

Anyway, the plane flies just fine, and I put a few clicks of up elevator, typically. Also, I try to shift the battery about 1/2" to the rear, using a small spacer at the front of the battery tray, made of a tiny piece of packing foam, and it flies fine.
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Old May 08, 2010, 03:00 PM
Glens Falls, NY
Joined Apr 2010
1,295 Posts
3rd times a charm

Well, I just got back from flying my Apprentice. This is the first time in 3 outings that I came home without any broken parts. I was able to take off and land 3 times successfully. It wasn't much fun flying at first...it it was a hand-full, but I figured it out and got more comfortable and felt more in control after a while.

My Apprentice is stock other than the Power 25. I think a radio with expo and epa adjustments would help me a lot. I'm using the Dx5e but think I'll get a DX7. I might take the red washers out from the left side of the motor mount also-I don't think they are supposed to be there.

tlr, I really need to get the manual out and check my CoG. I went to the field with a 1/2oz. in the back and put another 1/2oz. and it seemed better with the weight, but it might have just been me getting more comfortable with the plane. I should have marked the CoG with the stock motor and I should have weighed the stock motor and Power 25 to get an idea how much different they are.

All in all, things went great today. Thanks for the help everyone.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by TG43; May 08, 2010 at 03:56 PM.