HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2010, 08:29 AM
Near Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2008
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobar View Post
I had to laugh regarding the duct tape & epoxy. It's amazing how duct tape can solve or prevent so many problems. Kind of like WD-40. Thanks for a great explanation of the direction of the motor torque and where the red washers go. Normally I will take a few notes when I take things apart but I thought the red washers would be a snap to remember. Regarding the center of gravity, I read the instructions in the manual but couldn't visualize how to actually do it. If the distance from the leading edge is extended out to the wing tips then it would be easy to hold it up with the index fingers. If it is to be done near the fuselage then I suppose the thumbs would be the choice. Anyway I will be on this task tomorrow and hope for good weather on Monday morning for an exciting attempt at flying. This is a helpful and friendly forum. Thanks
I've notice the Apprentice fly's better with a forward C.G.

Haaa duct tap, I retired from flying. Many years ago I was a young pilot flying a Piper Aztec. I noticed a hole in the left LE wing tip (I'll save the story of how the hole got there for another time), I told a tech about it and he walked
into the hanger came out with a roll of duct tape and fixed it right up Those were the days
Parkk is online now Find More Posts by Parkk
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2010, 05:19 AM
Flyer Down Under
Moruya, NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2008
110 Posts
Quote:
I had to laugh regarding the duct tape & epoxy. It's amazing how duct tape can solve or prevent so many problems.
Quite a few years ago I was between jobs and got some work putting in ducted airconditioning into a building, we went through rolls of the stuff taping up, yes you guessed it, ducts. I asked the foreman if I could have a roll of it to tape down electrical cords in our band (we called it gaffer tape) and he gave me a box of it. I had the stuff in my garage for years and used it for pretty much everything except for taping up ducts.
Crow Boy is offline Find More Posts by Crow Boy
Old Apr 26, 2010, 10:23 AM
Glens Falls, NY
Joined Apr 2010
1,295 Posts
Can anyone recommend a replacement motor for the Apprentice that is cheaper than the stock one?

I have an Apprentice but it is apparently too advanced for me at this time, because I don't have the ability to fly it. I just want to get a motor for it for when I'm ready to give it another shot, after some simulator time and other plane flying experience. I can fly my slo-v great when there is no wind. I just ordered a Super Cub.
TG43 is offline Find More Posts by TG43
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:40 PM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
399 Posts
check my earlier posts or
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexguz...7607436578147/
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Old Apr 26, 2010, 02:58 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
TG43: What's wrong with the stock motor in your Apprentice?

Power 15 is a direct replacement, and I don't think it requires a higher amp ESC, and Power 25 is also, but not sure about the ESC.

Most every other motor you can think of, Hyperion, Scorpion, Rimfire, will be cheaper than E-flite, and some will be better (Hyperion). With E-flite you're paying for super customer service and a customer service helpline run by Americans. That isn't cheap. E-flite motors are perfectly good, so it depends what all that other stuff is worth to you.

While the P15 and P25 motors are fine, the Apprentice stock motor is crap, however.
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:25 PM
"Put it in the air"
United States, KY, Florence
Joined Feb 2010
202 Posts
This plane looks more attractive everytime I look at it.
Scarlett is offline Find More Posts by Scarlett
Last edited by Scarlett; Apr 26, 2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: cha
Old Apr 26, 2010, 10:18 PM
Glens Falls, NY
Joined Apr 2010
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr-boise View Post
I broke the back of it off in a crash. I was just looking for a cheaper alternative to the stock motor, but I don't know if I'm going to fix it. Might just take the electronics out of it to use in another plane. Thanks for the info.
TG43 is offline Find More Posts by TG43
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2010, 12:12 AM
United States, ID, Sandpoint
Joined Apr 2009
654 Posts
Has anyone tried a different battery than the original Eflite in the Apprentice? I am curious about the Venom batteries.
crobar is offline Find More Posts by crobar
Old Apr 27, 2010, 01:39 AM
Flyer Down Under
Moruya, NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2008
110 Posts
Quote:
Has anyone tried a different battery than the original Eflite in the Apprentice? I am curious about the Venom batteries.
In my club we have several Apprentices - they are our basic trainer and we like them. The eflite batteries are very expensive here so we have been getting a variety of Lipos from HobbyKing. I am using 3000mAh 35C WinForce batteries without any problem. I get a long flight time from these batteries. The Esc is the stock 30Amp one that came with the plane. I don't have any personal experience with the Venom batteries but to be honest I don't really think it makes much difference at this level. If you were doing high end pylon racing or free form aerobatics etc where high output is needed then get a top brand battery but for choofing around the park at half throttle then pretty much anything will do the job.

CB
Old Apr 27, 2010, 01:54 AM
Flyer Down Under
Moruya, NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2008
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG43 View Post
I broke the back of it off in a crash. I was just looking for a cheaper alternative to the stock motor, but I don't know if I'm going to fix it. Might just take the electronics out of it to use in another plane. Thanks for the info.
You have uncovered one of the few flaws in this otherwise very good trainer. The backing plate on the motor is a fatal weak point and when it breaks (which it will) you can NOT repair it. Most of us have discovered this and then changed over to a Turnigy or similar motor which is not only much cheaper but can be repaired. I don't understand why E-flite did this, the E-flite Power 15 is a direct fit and a MUCH better motor. Here in Australia they are also only about 4 dollars more than the stock plastic housing motor. It can be pulled apart, the drive shaft can be replace if the plane does a nose into the dirt stop and gets bent. Let's face the reality, anyone who buys this plane will be a learner and WILL crash or at least go nose over on landing or take off. It will be a fairly regular occurrence during the learning period. The part that is going to get bent is the front end and the motor is a prime choice for damage. Using one that is robust and can be easily ie cheaply fixed is a good idea. Our club uses the Apprentice as the standard trainer and our thinking is to buy a replacement motor when buying the plane for that inevitable time you need one.

Our other bone of contention is the wheels, unless you are flying off a paved runway they are too small for grass strips. We ditch the wheels and buy a pair of 2.5 to 2.75 inch rear and a 2.75 to 3 inch front wheel. They are a much better set for bumpy, lumpy, grass.

Otherwise this is a great training plane and as several members have done, it can be easily modified for flaps, turned into a tail dragger, fitted with floats, skis etc and makes a great platform for mounting a camera. All up it is an exceptional plane and a good choice. One other point you may like to consider. Do yourself a favour and join a club or at least get the help from an experienced flyer. You will learn much more quickly and with a lesser chance of doing damage to your plane or others during the learning period.

Have fun

CB
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:13 AM
United States, ID, Sandpoint
Joined Apr 2009
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow Boy View Post
In my club we have several Apprentices - they are our basic trainer and we like them. The eflite batteries are very expensive here so we have been getting a variety of Lipos from HobbyKing. I am using 3000mAh 35C WinForce batteries without any problem. I get a long flight time from these batteries. The Esc is the stock 30Amp one that came with the plane. I don't have any personal experience with the Venom batteries but to be honest I don't really think it makes much difference at this level. If you were doing high end pylon racing or free form aerobatics etc where high output is needed then get a top brand battery but for choofing around the park at half throttle then pretty much anything will do the job.

CB
Thanks Crow Boy I will try one of these less expensive batteries for a backup.
crobar is offline Find More Posts by crobar
Old Apr 28, 2010, 04:06 AM
Videography and stuff
Joined Oct 2009
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG43 View Post
Can anyone recommend a replacement motor for the Apprentice that is cheaper than the stock one?

I have an Apprentice but it is apparently too advanced for me at this time, because I don't have the ability to fly it. I just want to get a motor for it for when I'm ready to give it another shot, after some simulator time and other plane flying experience. I can fly my slo-v great when there is no wind. I just ordered a Super Cub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr-boise View Post

Power 15 is a direct replacement, and I don't think it requires a higher amp ESC, and Power 25 is also, but not sure about the ESC.

Most every other motor you can think of, Hyperion, Scorpion, Rimfire, will be cheaper than E-flite, and some will be better (Hyperion). With E-flite you're paying for super customer service and a customer service helpline run by Americans. That isn't cheap. E-flite motors are perfectly good, so it depends what all that other stuff is worth to you.

While the P15 and P25 motors are fine, the Apprentice stock motor is crap, however.
The stock ESC is 30A, and the Power 15 works on 34A-42A. Won't the ESC burn?

Plus the "Eflite Power" motors cost over 80$, and I belive you can find a cheaper HobbyKing motor, like this one: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=3888
(You still need to replace the ESC to 40A but it's much cheaper.)

I'm still waiting for mine, so I can't tell you if it works as well as the stock one, but as it seems - no one can give us a cheap replacement motor suggestion.
shaprap is offline Find More Posts by shaprap
Old Apr 28, 2010, 09:42 AM
RDRC NC USA
Joined Mar 2009
569 Posts
The 35-48/B from hobby king is a much better motor then the 15 series that came with the plane. Its a close equivilant to the Power 25 & has a higher current rating.

Used one in my Apprentice for quite a while till the Apprentice was replaced by a SIG Seniorita.

You will have to make an adaptor to mount it but its a very easy thing to do.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline Find More Posts by BEAR-AvHistory
Old Apr 28, 2010, 07:22 PM
Flyer Down Under
Moruya, NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2008
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
The 35-48/B from hobby king is a much better motor then the 15 series that came with the plane. Its a close equivilant to the Power 25 & has a higher current rating.

Used one in my Apprentice for quite a while till the Apprentice was replaced by a SIG Seniorita.

You will have to make an adaptor to mount it but its a very easy thing to do.
I took delivery of a 38-42B two days ago. It was a replacement for the plastic not fantastic stock motor. Meanwhile I was given a metal cased (no name brand) motor from someone in my flying club. It bolted straight on with no need for an adapter. I will most likely replace this one with the 38-42B. Both motors run on the standard ESC.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 06:37 PM
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
Been practicing on my realflight, dont have an instructor. COme along way from not being able to stay in the air for more then 10 secs when I started
This is at 9mph
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PqdmoMqkFOU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PqdmoMqkFOU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Neil_M is offline Find More Posts by Neil_M
Last edited by Neil_M; Apr 29, 2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Trying to get youtube vid up.