SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 23, 2010, 07:32 PM
USA, GA, Norcross
Joined Jul 2009
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer112 View Post
With stock motor, I ran the 12 x 6 with best results. Anything bigger and you will need to get the bigger landing wheels which are same appx same weight, just appearance changed.

I need to see if I can get a cheap pull meter to show the thrust outputs.. Think it would be helpful to all of you and I'm also pretty curious..

Bigger wheels, which aren't the same weight are part of my problem! Instead of buying the new fuselage, when I broke the front wheel assembly on the firewall, I used the dremel and attached the $5 front wheel set, but the wire was too big, so added bigger wheels.
robtest is offline Find More Posts by robtest
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:32 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_M View Post
What kind of servo could be used to trigger a camera button that can be added to the AR500 receiver as ch5. Im assuming a 12g sub micro servo is over kill ? I want to try a cheap way before maybe getting into the IF trigger.
Thanks!
I used what i had laying around,which was an extra aileron servo [sv 80] from my t28.I 5 min epoxied it to the front of the Sony case. i had bought a non working camera of the same type Sony dsc p200 off ebay for 5 bucks so i can always take the face with the servo on it and put the original back,but i don think i ever switched i just use this camera for the apprentice.
you can add this to the 5th channel on the ar500,i use and ar6200 but i use the one extra channel for flaps and the other to activate the camera ,i also use a dx6i makes it easy to set the travel on the servo for the camera
so far it been great no problems ,if you go back somewhere in the post there are a few pics i took and posted
Ron
snoopy3440 is online now Find More Posts by snoopy3440
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:40 AM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,371 Posts
hey guys i dont have 1 of these yet but i saw someone looking for some wing measurments on 1 here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post14685619 thanx

Chris
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Mar 25, 2010, 02:01 PM
Joined Feb 2010
69 Posts
Thanks! snoopy3440
Does the plane not tilt or did u counter weight it? I Was thinking of strapping it to the belly bellow the battery.
Neil_M is offline Find More Posts by Neil_M
Old Mar 25, 2010, 03:43 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
767 Posts
Quote:
Thanks! snoopy3440
Does the plane not tilt or did u counter weight it? I Was thinking of strapping it to the belly bellow the battery.
Your welcome,hope it helps,i did not use a counter weight i just give it 1 or 2 clicks on the right aileron and she fly's straight.really do not feel it at all

Ron
Old Mar 25, 2010, 05:46 PM
Joined Feb 2010
69 Posts
I got the servo and tried a temp setup, and it worked. Now just have to work on the mounting,
Old Mar 25, 2010, 06:57 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
767 Posts
Hey Neil

Looks good,just make sure it has enough tape to stay there,i had to add a little grommet to the end of the servo horn to get it to depress all the way,i set my camera for burst then hit the button and let it capture the images in the area i am pointing it at,then just pick out the best ones,i made my mount from an Ikea child protection bracket,i had them left over from childproofing the house for my son,they cost bout a quater,the top piece that is mounted to the fuselage lined up with the that piece inside the fuslage that no one seems to know what its for,i think its for maybe mounting a switch to turn on off the esc,not sure but it worked out for this bracket,the plastic piece going down to the camera i cut it and added a straight piece of metal and bent it on the bottom for the camera to sit on and added some velcro

Ron
Old Mar 25, 2010, 07:13 PM
Joined Feb 2010
69 Posts
Thanks!, I taped a bit of sponge on the button. It does take a sec to take the picture since its auto-focusing so I hope its not hard on the servo.
Dont have an Ikea in my town but will check some places to see if I can get something. I was thingking in the line of a bracket like mechano and bend it into shape around the camera and screw the ends to the sides of the fuselage.
LOL, Im still waiting for my instructor to take me out and learn to fly, so it would be nice to have this set up for my first flight out
Old Mar 26, 2010, 06:16 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
767 Posts
Quote:
Thanks!, I taped a bit of sponge on the button. It does take a sec to take the picture since its auto-focusing so I hope its not hard on the servo.
Dont have an Ikea in my town but will check some places to see if I can get something. I was thingking in the line of a bracket like mechano and bend it into shape around the camera and screw the ends to the sides of the fuselage.
LOL, Im still waiting for my instructor to take me out and learn to fly, so it would be nice to have this set up for my first flight out
I am sure you will find a way to mount it,do a search there are people that mounted it in a lot of different configs

This is a very forgiving plane to fly,but i would definitely learn how to fly first without the camera and get a feel for how it flys lands and takes off before strapping that camera to it,it will have a longer takeoff and feel a bit heavier,but once in the air it will be fine,i had a power 25 in there and it hopped off the ground with the camera but with the stock motor it needs some throttle but once airborne it fine,but do learn how to fly the plane first without the camera,when you get proficient at takoff and landings and keeping the plane in steady pattern then i would put the camera on,

Ron
Old Mar 26, 2010, 06:54 PM
Joined Feb 2010
69 Posts
Absolutely, not going to risk the plane. Once I have my "Wings" then I will go forward, until then I want to get things perfected.
Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2010, 09:53 PM
Flyer Down Under
Moruya, NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2008
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkk View Post
I think you guys are experiencing torque and prop factor, that is normal. The more airspeed you have before liftoff will dampen this. I've had an Apprentice for about a year and a half, great bird. When I takeoff I use half throttle and when I see the plane get light on the wheels I increase power to give me a comfortable liftoff and initial climb. I have done a few full power short/ruff field takeoffs and one must take care because the aircraft can become airborne below the stalling speed of the wing (crash). Full power takeoffs are not necessary for most models and BTW some full scale airplanes.
I think this is the problem solved for me. I fly off a grass strip with a rise in the middle of the length. I put on some bigger wheels to overcome the problem of grass grab on take off but they caused the plane to develop a speed wobble. Went back to using the stock wheels but had to rechange my take off technique. The plane would start down the strip - lift off and then suddenly bank to the left (port). If I kept it down on the strip with down elevator it would suddenly turn and run off to the left. Anything between would cause the plane to simply tip over. I cracked the rear of the standard motor and because I hadn't read the entire 51pages of this thread foolishly (didn't know what alternative motors to use) purchased a stock replacement (AU$72) Should have gone to the Power25 or the Turnigny as suggested by several others.

This is my second plane and I am enjoying it very much but this take off problem has been causing me a lot of grief.

CB
Crow Boy is offline Find More Posts by Crow Boy
Old Mar 28, 2010, 01:02 AM
Near Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
What do you mean about "speed wobble" ? are you building up to much speed before takeoff ?
Parkk is online now Find More Posts by Parkk
Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:22 AM
Flyer Down Under
Moruya, NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2008
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkk View Post
What do you mean about "speed wobble" ? are you building up to much speed before takeoff ?
I don't think it is too much speed but what is happening is that the front wheel seems to move left and right OR the rotating prop is causing the plane to yaw. If I keep the front wheel "light" by using a bit of up elevator just as it starts to move then let it settle once the plane is travelling down the run way it seems ok. I think there may be a combination of factors involved:

1) grass strip that is not very smooth
2) too small wheels (originals)
3) inherent pull to port under acceleration
4) a maybe out of alignment of the front wheel due to the occasional heavy landing onto the front wheel rather than the midcarriage.

I will try the technique of using right rudder on Wednesday when I fly the plane in our local park. There I have a bicycle track that works well as a landing strip.

CB
Crow Boy is offline Find More Posts by Crow Boy
Last edited by Crow Boy; Mar 28, 2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 12:31 PM
RDRC NC USA
Joined Mar 2009
569 Posts
The front wheel steers the plane till the rudder has authority from sufficient air flow over its surface. You need to keep weight on the wheel & not lighten it till you have enough speed for rudder control. Same concept as keeping the tail down on a tail dragger.

If you have stock wheels you definatly need to move up in size for grass. IMHO nose gear steering sucks in grass.

In addition to using right rudder once it has authority try moving your throttle up a little more slowly. This will reduce the left torque pull on the front wheel until the rudder is usable.

Key is a smooth transition from wheel steering to rudder control. Its a bit harder with an R/C plane because you don't have rudder pedals.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline Find More Posts by BEAR-AvHistory
Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:19 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
767 Posts
Hey Crow Boy

Did you check the screw that holds the wire which the front wheel is attached to and make sure its tight,i had the same thing happen the other day,i fly off dirt road and have not had the apprentice up in a while so i took it out and it was wobbling a bit on takeoff,normally its straight as an arrow,so i came around and landed and looked and somehow the screw was not tight,put the screw driver to it then all was well,she rolled straight again

Ron