HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2010, 04:42 PM
RDRC NC USA
Joined Mar 2009
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtest View Post
So feeding it right rudder is a normal thing??? When I do that it is just fine, but I was thinking that it should not necessarily need it if it was adjusted properly...

BTW Bear, I went to the Perry GA RC Plane Swap meet yesterday. Great Show, 3 big buildings worth of planes... But I didn't find anything I couldn't live without, so I came home and ordered the chinese Seniorita from NitroPlanes and then motor/esc/servos from HobbyKing

That should make a nice upgrade to Apprentice!

When you are setting up the plane you want it to go straight when its pushed by hand but once its under power its a whole new world.

If you ever get a chance to see combat film of a Corsair taking off from a carrier, check the rudder position before he even releases the brakes....full right.

With some of these planes you can get the front wheel off the ground before you have sufficient airflow over the rudder for it to have any effect so the engine torque & the air spilling off the the prop will turn the plane, because of the rotation of our props, to the left.

Some right rudder will also tend to keep your right wingtip from rising as the plane breaks ground because the same forces that want to turn the plane left on the runway will want to roll it left when there is no longer pressure on the wheels.

Agree on the Senorita - was my Apprentice replacement, it even flew originally with all the Apprentice electronics
BEAR-AvHistory is offline Find More Posts by BEAR-AvHistory
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2010, 03:00 AM
Joined Dec 2009
221 Posts
looks good
flying lx is offline Find More Posts by flying lx
Old Mar 08, 2010, 09:20 PM
Joined Jan 2010
64 Posts
Well I found the ulitimate combination. Although I'm flying at 6500ft most of the time.. I've turned my apprentice into a well rounded machine...

Mods:
1) E-Flite Power 25 motor
2) 65AMP ESC Thunderbird
3) Hyperion 3300mah 3S
4) Large narrow front nose wheel

And finally experimented with different props from APC..

... 12" about same as stock..
... 13" much better flight speed and acceleration but still not constant vertical, still stalled eventually

... 14" .. wow!!! EFlite Power 25 motor runs it smooth and powerful and unlimited vertical climb.. I use less power to cruise around as well.. It's a big prop.. but it flys more like a sport trainer now.. I recommend the Eflite 25 and bigger prop to any more advanced flyers..

I set my timer to 13 minutes and haven't run out of juice yet...

I will do another onboard FPV when it warms up...
rcflyer112 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer112
Old Mar 09, 2010, 09:42 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
rcflyer, Those props alone make a huge difference. I fly around mostly with a APC 11 x 7. Always get at least 20 min flights on a Thunder Power Pro Lite V2 4350 mAh 3s. (Use 70% - 80% of the battery.) But 11x5.5, 11x8 works fine too. Don't have unlimited vertical, however.
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:44 PM
USA, GA, Norcross
Joined Jul 2009
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr-boise View Post
rcflyer, Those props alone make a huge difference. I fly around mostly with a APC 11 x 7. Always get at least 20 min flights on a Thunder Power Pro Lite V2 4350 mAh 3s. (Use 70% - 80% of the battery.) But 11x5.5, 11x8 works fine too. Don't have unlimited vertical, however.

I was looking at some APC props this weekend. The hole seems smaller than the stock prop, did you change anything to use these props???
robtest is offline Find More Posts by robtest
Old Mar 15, 2010, 09:14 AM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,217 Posts
excellent advice, my experience also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkk View Post
I think you guys are experiencing torque and prop factor, that is normal. The more airspeed you have before liftoff will dampen this. I've had an Apprentice for about a year and a half, great bird. When I takeoff I use half throttle and when I see the plane get light on the wheels I increase power to give me a comfortable liftoff and initial climb. I have done a few full power short/ruff field takeoffs and one must take care because the aircraft can become airborne below the stalling speed of the wing (crash). Full power takeoffs are not necessary for most models and BTW some full scale airplanes.
Thanks for the information. You wrote down what i have done - right and wrong - and why. my stock eflight t28 doesn't need too much runway and when i do as you suggested(50~60% throttle) a very easy and smooth lift off.

john s.
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:26 AM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Quote:
I was looking at some APC props this weekend. The hole seems smaller than the stock prop, did you change anything to use these props???

Yes. Everything.

1. Hyperion motor. 2. Hyperion spinner. 3. Enlarged the center cowl hole, with a Dremel, so it would clear the new spinner backplate. If you get an APC prop, I don't think it will fit the stock spinner. Not exactly sure about that, though. Might fit the shaft, but not spinner, but I forget. They won't fit a Dubro spinner either, without enlarging the prop holes on the side of the spinner, to fit the prop. PITA. The Hyperion spinners (The Standard 40 size, in red, blue or white) have larger holes and the APC props fit with a little room to spare. I'll try to post pics of my set-up, but it's probably more work than you would be interested in, given your Apprentice.
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Old Mar 15, 2010, 01:45 PM
USA, GA, Norcross
Joined Jul 2009
333 Posts
Yeah, the poor little Frankenstein Apprentice...

But it keeps on cooking along. I took it out for my first maiden flight of the new season on Saturday. Winds were 10-15, gusting to 20. I got her up and trimmed out as best I could in the wind. Then got up to about 500' and the winds were 20-30 and it was quite a time. After about 6 minutes, I decided to bring it back in. Big ole wings are a little floaty with a crosswind, but got her back on the ground uneventful. I figured if I was gonna crash one, this would be the one to do it in... But it lives to fly another day!

It looks like it is a 5mm shaft on the motor, and the prop adapter is where the bigness comes in for the propriatary prop. So I think I can just undo the set screw and replace with a more standard 5mm shaft adapter and be able to use some of the APC Props. Should leave the poor old bird on the shelf, but we have so many memories together! LOL

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...source=froogle

Replace with something along the lines of:

Prop Adapter with Set Screw, 5mm by E-flite

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM1932
Old Mar 15, 2010, 09:38 PM
Near Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, the poor little Frankenstein Apprentice...

But it keeps on cooking along. I took it out for my first maiden flight of the new season on Saturday. Winds were 10-15, gusting to 20. I got her up and trimmed out as best I could in the wind. Then got up to about 500' and the winds were 20-30 and it was quite a time. After about 6 minutes, I decided to bring it back in. Big ole wings are a little floaty with a crosswind, but got her back on the ground uneventful. I figured if I was gonna crash one, this would be the one to do it in... But it lives to fly another day!
That's a lot of wind! The Apprentice must do good in windy conditions. I live in a windy area would this be a good plane for me ?
Parkk is offline Find More Posts by Parkk
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:25 PM
USA, GA, Norcross
Joined Jul 2009
333 Posts
Quote:
That's a lot of wind! The Apprentice must do good in windy conditions. I live in a windy area would this be a good plane for me ?

Too be honest, there has to be something that cuts the wind a little better. I took it up and got it back down, but it wasn't real pretty... The Apprentice is big and floaty, the guys that were flying the little jets were having a much easier time of it.

But take into account, it was my first time off the simulator in a couple months. With a little practice it might be fine. It was just a little un-nerving for my first flight of the new season.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:26 PM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,310 Posts
Quote:
I have flown mine on windy days and had it hovering 6 feet away from me at eye level. Could have reached out and grabbed it by hand - a lot of fun.

But really, the Apprentice is a real floater and does get tossed around by the wind. The only thing that saves it is that at 1.3kg it is a little heaver than your average park flyer, but if you are after something specifically to fly on windy days, it would not be the choice.

If you want something especially to fly on windy days, you might like to try making a 6mm depron Mig-29. They love wind, are a breeze to fly, and minimal financial loss if you do hit the deck.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Mar 17, 2010, 05:56 PM
Joined Jan 2010
64 Posts
[QUOTE=robtest;14601111]Yeah, the poor little Frankenstein Apprentice...

It looks like it is a 5mm shaft on the motor, and the prop adapter is where the bigness comes in for the propriatary prop. So I think I can just undo the set screw and replace with a more standard 5mm shaft adapter and be able to use some of the APC Props. Should leave the poor old bird on the shelf, but we have so many memories together! LOL

2 options...

1) Drill out the APC blade... I did this initially. But easy to break blade while drilling.

2) 5mm prop adapter by action RC or e-Flite..

I have the larger motor after damaging the original. But flying with more power in wind helps as well. The velocity helps with turbulence. In wind anything over 15mph, I always land into the wind.

In a cross wind, takes more practice but a lot of fun, fly the plane into the cross wind keeping it level and soon as your about to land, use the rudder to straighten out the plane for landing..
Old Mar 17, 2010, 06:02 PM
USA, GA, Norcross
Joined Jul 2009
333 Posts
What props are good other than the stock one?

I bought the Eflite 5mm prop adapter and an APC 11x8 (I think 11x8 is the stock size) and an APC 12x6 to test with. I have a couple other sizes laying around from other projects too. And I do have a watt meter to test with as well...
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:35 PM
Joined Jan 2010
64 Posts
Quote:
What props are good other than the stock one?

I bought the Eflite 5mm prop adapter and an APC 11x8 (I think 11x8 is the stock size) and an APC 12x6 to test with. I have a couple other sizes laying around from other projects too. And I do have a watt meter to test with as well...

With stock motor, I ran the 12 x 6 with best results. Anything bigger and you will need to get the bigger landing wheels which are same appx same weight, just appearance changed.

I need to see if I can get a cheap pull meter to show the thrust outputs.. Think it would be helpful to all of you and I'm also pretty curious..
Old Mar 23, 2010, 04:34 PM
Joined Feb 2010
69 Posts
What kind of servo could be used to trigger a camera button that can be added to the AR500 receiver as ch5. Im assuming a 12g sub micro servo is over kill ? I want to try a cheap way before maybe getting into the IF trigger.
Thanks!
Neil_M is offline Find More Posts by Neil_M