HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2009, 05:07 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Jun 2009
247 Posts
Ooops! Haven't managed that trick yet. Phew.

I've had some other nasties that have cause various bit of foam to go missing.

I'd just hack (carefully) the rest of the plastic dowl out and replace with wooden ones a bit longer than stock and glue it all back together with 30 minute epoxy.

I haven't had any crash damage I haven't been able to fix with packaging foam and epoxy.
fingersintrlcd is offline Find More Posts by fingersintrlcd
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2009, 05:34 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Sweet, does anyone know if the plastic dowel goes right through?
I have a feeling that it bends 90 degrees and connects to the battery tray plastic at the bottom of the fuse... can anyone confirm this?

You missed out the cable ties they are a must have item in my repair kit hehe
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Sep 23, 2009, 05:37 AM
Joined Jun 2009
247 Posts
Nah, it doesn't connect to the battery tray. I've taken my battery tray out and turned it around for tail dragger mod, then ripped it off a couple of times along with the landing gear. It doesn't connect to anything but a little bit of glue...

Cable ties hey? Haven't found a need for those yet, handy things they are.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 05:47 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Cool ill fix up me apprentice
Yea man! cable ties work for anything, just need some imagination...
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Sep 25, 2009, 06:10 PM
Joined Sep 2006
370 Posts
Would the GWS or even the supercub floats fit on this size airplane?

I recently lost my beloved supercub... a big gray cloud took off with it.
I was going to get a new supercub because I love flying it off the water with my GWS floats, but I had always been wanting ailerons. Also it would be really nice to use my Dx6i for an airplane, I currently use it for my 450-size heli.
FlyinLo is offline Find More Posts by FlyinLo
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:45 PM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinLo

I was going to get a new supercub because I love flying it off the water with my GWS floats, but I had always been wanting ailerons. Also it would be really nice to use my Dx6i for an airplane, I currently use it for my 450-size heli.
FlyinLo,

I am about to make a set of floats, but since you already fly off water, I hope you could answer a couple of questions for me.

I would like to fly off the bay at the end of my street, but it is salt water, so I am wondering how much spray you get on a plane when taking off and landing. I had one idea of blocking the vents in the cowling, and building a 'snorkel' a bit like a 4 wheel drive uses so that I could get air that was clear of the prop and any spray it made.

Anyway, appreciate any tips you could give me for setting the plane up to fly off salt water.

Regards,
Harrow.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:37 AM
Joined Sep 2006
370 Posts
are you custom-making them or are they the GWS floats?

With the supercub, the spray from the inside of the float tips will sometimes hit the prop. I'm not sure any of it ever actually made it to the motor. The water never did any damage to my motor or electronics, even after plopping it nose-in and floating around with the motor submerged. I would shake it off a bit and she'd be right back in the air. (This was a brushed motor, not sure if a brushless would react the same way to water)

If you have the floats mounted fore or aft just right, and at the correct angle, you should be okay. Trial and error is how I adjusted mine. You might want to taxi-test the floats in some fresh water before you take it to the bay.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 05:39 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,315 Posts
FlyinLo,

Are you flying on salt water? Fresh water, I can understand will have little impact if dried off straight away, but a drop of salt in the ESC would be curtains!

I am custom making them using a very good article that I got by a guy called Chuck Cunningham. Here is the article and some other info.

http://www.seminolerc.com/floats.html

Regards,
Harrow.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 01:22 PM
Joined Sep 2006
370 Posts
I've flown in fresh water only. If salt would destroy your ESC, I would make sure that if she tipped over and landed upside-down, the ESC would float above water.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 02:18 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
The price of this trainer-beast is 300 USD at horizon hobby with the dx5. That sounds pretty competitive, and must be a good package.

My LHS has a listed price of 687 USD for this plane with the dx5. Some people still find it strange that ordering directly from HongKong is more and more popular.
Cubber1 is offline Find More Posts by Cubber1
Old Sep 26, 2009, 11:02 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubber1
The price of this trainer-beast is 300 USD at horizon hobby with the dx5. That sounds pretty competitive, and must be a good package.

My LHS has a listed price of 687 USD for this plane with the dx5. Some people still find it strange that ordering directly from HongKong is more and more popular.
I bought mine for $499 AUD (=$424 US) in Australia. Your local LHS seems rather expensive!
Old Sep 27, 2009, 12:02 AM
Flying is Living!
Savage, MT
Joined Mar 2008
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancesAU
Hi,
Had an incident with my apprentice, most things I have got spares for (engine cowl & motor mount) but my wing "dowels" snapped off also!

If I look inside the hole I can see some plastic, im assuming the plastic wing dowels were connected here and went inside the fuse.

Has anyone done the same damage with theirs?
How would one repair this?

*Pics attached*
Oh Yeah! I used a screw driver and pushed the piece in the middle out. I happened to have a carbon fiber rod the right diameter and I used it instead of a dowel. I used some silicone sealant to glue it in and have not had any issues with it.
Alcuy is offline Find More Posts by Alcuy
Old Sep 27, 2009, 01:05 AM
Flying is Living!
Savage, MT
Joined Mar 2008
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinLo

I fly mine with a Dx6i. I do not know about the floats...

I have not read the whole thread so forgive me if this is old territory... I had a problem with the stock motor; the can comes loose and it locks them up. I replaced it with a Power 15 rather than the stock 15 size. I also upgraded to a switched 40 amp speed control. The switch fits nicely in the receptacle on the port side under the leading edge of the wing. Once this was done, I have had no trouble with this plane.

The RX can be any one of your choice that is compatible with the Dx6i. Mine worked fine with the AR500 (it will not work with the earlier DX6) that came with the RTF version, and I have also used the AR6000. I bring this up because the PNP lets you use the RX you happen to have on hand... or need to buy.

BTW I did try a 3200 mAh 4 Cell TP in this Apprentice after I changed motor and ESC. Turned it into an animal with good vertical capabilities. I would not recommend it for someone relatively new. If anyone tries this I strongly suggest WOT must be used sparingly or some serious heating will occur. And it flies just fine with the 3 cell battery. But was it fun!

This does not help with the float question though...

Al
Alcuy is offline Find More Posts by Alcuy
Old Sep 27, 2009, 03:57 AM
Joined Jun 2009
247 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't run the stock motor & ESC on 4S. Well, I lie, I would, but I'd check it with a watt meter first and make sure it was lookin orright.

I might do that. See if I can't rip the wings off in horizontal flight. Lol.

I've got a new motor ready for if I break the stock one.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 10:07 AM
Joined Feb 2009
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingersintrlcd
Yeah, I wouldn't run the stock motor & ESC on 4S. Well, I lie, I would, but I'd check it with a watt meter first and make sure it was lookin orright.

I might do that. See if I can't rip the wings off in horizontal flight. Lol.

I've got a new motor ready for if I break the stock one.
Stock motor will go south, it is not the same or even close to the same E-Flite Power15. This was confusing to me for a few seconds when I first got the Apprentice, thought it was the real deal 15 at first but was a bit suprised to find out otherwise...

Now with the stock motor First the plastic endcaps of the motor will eventually wear/melt and bearing wobble will occurr. I have not seen it happen just heard of it happening from other Apprentice flyers who have tried the 4S "free power upgrade".

Next be careful if you are using the stock ESC in this venture as you will overload it's constant current capacity, so as you say check and double check.

Lastly I inquired with Horizon Hobby about the prospects of using a 4S and they told me the motor was not made to take that high of voltage. This was via their E-mail question line.

Now a real true E-Flite Power15, as I have in my T-28D, will carry the voltage. Using the 4S though watch the Amps as they spool up quickly from 7/8 to full throttle. A 11X5.5-11X7 may be a good prop to start with here then try a 12X6, measure watch amperage. Constant current capacity on a E-Flite Power15 is 34A and burst is 42A Max for 15 seconds. On the T-28D I run these exact numbers everytime I fly with a 4S and ~40 flights in she is going strong.

I must have hundreds of flights on my Apprentice, great plane, work the bugs out of course but that is with almost anything. I have been spinning an APC 12X6 for almost ever after I realized the extra climbing performance and longer flights it achieves VS the factory prop. My motor is getting a bit loud now I am assuming as is often true all good things eventually come to an end so I will continue to enjoy the Apprentice but come motor faliure I will likely step away from the stock motor, as itemized above limiting it is.

Wayne
WJCJR1 is offline Find More Posts by WJCJR1
Last edited by WJCJR1; Nov 15, 2009 at 01:31 PM.