HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2008, 02:33 PM
Slidell, LA, USA
Joined Nov 2002
713 Posts
The hobby shop that got me one shipped it today via FedEx. My son should now have a GREAT birthday in a couple of weeks!!!
woketman is offline Find More Posts by woketman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2008, 02:50 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,258 Posts
Question...The system is 5 ch.So there is 1 ch. open ,right ? Does anyone know what that open ch. is tied into on the RX. ? thanks...RTR
realtimerecon is online now Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Aug 20, 2008, 04:50 PM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon
Question...The system is 5 ch.So there is 1 ch. open ,right ? Does anyone know what that open ch. is tied into on the RX. ? thanks...RTR
There is a 2 position switch on the Tx...
It changes the pulse (normal full throw) of CH 5 (Sometimes 'retracts or gear') on the Rx.
Channel reversing is available for 1-4 only.

There is also a switch to enable a basic aileron/elevator mix for flying wings. (could be used for 3 channel v-tails also using right stick)

Yes, you can bind multiple Rx's and fly multiple birds using the 'lost art' technique of using the linkages to center the trims... or by re trimming.
Just be careful of the servo reversing!

Luckilly, the new Bind N Fly models all use the default 'normal' settings so you can fly many of them (mCX, VAPOR) with one DX5E set to 'normal' settings.

(And for the record, Horizon/E-Flite does NOT consider the Apprentice a parkflyer... but we didn't start the thread, and can't move it! )

Have Fun,
David
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor
Last edited by dribbe; Aug 20, 2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 05:03 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,607 Posts
These simple memory units can be used to record the settings for individual models to make the DX5e and the LP5DSM capable of handling an almost infinite number of planes.
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Old Aug 20, 2008, 05:08 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dribbe
There is a 2 position switch on the Tx...
It changes the pulse (normal full throw) of CH 5 (Sometimes 'retracts or gear') on the Rx.
Channel reversing is available for 1-4 only.

There is also a switch to enable a basic aileron/elevator mix for flying wings. (could be used for 3 channel v-tails also using right stick)

Yes, you can bind multiple Rx's and fly multiple birds using the 'lost art' technique of using the linkages to center the trims... or by re trimming.
Just be careful of the servo reversing!

Luckilly, the new Bind N Fly models all use the default 'normal' settings so you can fly many of them (mCX, VAPOR) with one DX5E set to 'normal' settings.

(And for the record, Horizon/E-Flite does NOT consider the Apprentice a parkflyer... but we didn't start the thread, and can't move it! )

Have Fun,
David
Ok great,thanks 4 the info.Ive been waiting for this bird ,looks like its here now....RTR
Old Aug 21, 2008, 07:20 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,258 Posts
IF, i filled this our right, this is the performance of the Apprentice .If i didnt feel free to change...RTR http://flbeagle.rchomepage.com/softw..._imperial.html
Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:17 AM
Lake City, PA USA
Joined Sep 1999
327 Posts
Good Morning Everyone!

Got mine yesterday afternoon. Wind was really blowing so I could not fly but here are my initial observations. Keep in mind that I have been flying for 32 years, so I may be more critical but here goes:

Plusses:

- Very well packaged. Plane arrived in great shape.

- Easy to assemble. Put it together in just a few minutes.

- Big, this plane is a great size for a trainer. It will be easy to see in the air as well as the decals are very easy to see.

- Plane is very well made. Foam is well molded and should be very robust.

- There is plenty of room in the battery compartment. I have a dozen 2100 3 cell lipos and I was planning on using 2 in parallel. These fit fine.

- Radio/servos looks to be of very high quality.

Minor Issues:

- The elevator pushrod exit wound up with my pushrod angling up at a 45 degree angle over the tail. I then had to pull the clevis down to the control horn. This put a lot of extra stress on the linkage/servo. I fixed this with a moto tool by cutting some of the plastic off of the vertical fin mount before the fin was installed and using a needle file on the foam where the push rod exits. It is fine now.

- The clevis's are the same as used on the parkzone planes, not very robust. They also do not snap together very well and if the fuel tubing keeper breaks or comes off the clevis can come off the horn. They also are not available separately.

- On my plane the EC3 connector on the speed control was so tight that I could not connect the battery. I have other EC3 connectors so I was able to determine that it was the connector and I will solder a new one on tonight. I forced it on enough to try everything but you would not be able use it like this. Probably just an isolated case.

- Also, the wire from the ESC only came through the battery compartment about 3/4 of an inch so there was not enough slack to get a grip on it. I finally wound up pulling it back through the top and connecting it there to try everything.

- Y connector for the ailerons was too short to easily connect to the servos. It is make of very small diameter wire too. I fixed this by replacing the Y connector with a regular one and using a 3 inch extension at the receiver end. Then I can disconnect the Y from the extension when removing the wing. This is a minor point and maybe too critical but I am really picky when it comes to wiring.

All in all these are pretty minor compared to the great value this plane represents. I am hoping to fly it tonight and give you a maiden flight report.

Gene
GeneR is offline Find More Posts by GeneR
Last edited by GeneR; Aug 21, 2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 02:36 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
I stopped at the LHS and they had one so I bought it. I have twins that are 8 years old and I thought to myself it's about time they learned to fly a real airplane (not the cheapee air hogs they've been play around with). I have too many airplanes as it is but I thought if I bought a trainer like the Easy Cub I'd have to match up a power system and put it all together. I'd also have to get another radio capable of hooking up a buddy system (which this one is capable of). By the time I buy a radio and get everything I needed I'll bet I would have spent more than the $299 they were asling for this package. (I'm always good at justifying buying toys ...

Gene, let us know how it flies. I probably won't be able to get ours flying until Sunday...

Thanks...
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old Aug 21, 2008, 04:45 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,922 Posts
pictures please!!!!!
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Old Aug 21, 2008, 08:57 PM
Lake City, PA USA
Joined Sep 1999
327 Posts
Ok, first, sorry for no pix, but my digital camera is on loan right now...

Anyway, I flew the plane this evening. Very little wind, club field, grass strip mowed reasonably short.

Summary in two words - VERY Nice...

I used two 2100mah three cell lipos in parallel (4200mah) for each flight. These fit just fine in the battery bay.

Take off roll was dead straight down the runway and by the time I got the throttle to 3/4 she was off. Probably only a 35 foot take off roll at most. Plenty of power for taking off any reasonable field.

Very gentle handling characteristics. Flew absolutely great at just a click over half throttle. Four clicks of down and two left aileron and she was straight and level. I flew a 6 minute flight on each pack (I had four packs with me) and put back 800mah into each of the 4200 mah packs. So, I could easily get 15 minute flights and not even put half the pack capacity back. The batteries were not even warm. Since I have lots of 2100 packs (helicopters...) I did not try the stock pack but I am sure it would work great as well.

I tried intentionally to stall the plane but it really wants to keep flying. Nice big loops are easy and very round. It really banks over too.

Finally, landing this plane is a breeze. I made 4 nose high landings on the mains and taxied back each time.

In conclusion, this plane's a winner. This will make a pretty much ideal trainer with a buddy box. I already have 2 extra landing gear wires on order. One for my floats and the other for ski's. I have every confidence that there is plenty of power to pull the plane off water without a problem. Likewise, strapping a small camera on would be a blast too.

Lots of possibilities - this one's a keeper!

Gene
Old Aug 21, 2008, 09:10 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR
Ok, first, sorry for no pix, but my digital camera is on loan right now...

Anyway, I flew the plane this evening. Very little wind, club field, grass strip mowed reasonably short.

Summary in two words - VERY Nice...

I used two 2100mah three cell lipos in parallel (4200mah) for each flight. These fit just fine in the battery bay.

Take off roll was dead straight down the runway and by the time I got the throttle to 3/4 she was off. Probably only a 35 foot take off roll at most. Plenty of power for taking off any reasonable field.

Very gentle handling characteristics. Flew absolutely great at just a click over half throttle. Four clicks of down and two left aileron and she was straight and level. I flew a 6 minute flight on each pack (I had four packs with me) and put back 800mah into each of the 4200 mah packs. So, I could easily get 15 minute flights and not even put half the pack capacity back. The batteries were not even warm. Since I have lots of 2100 packs (helicopters...) I did not try the stock pack but I am sure it would work great as well.

I tried intentionally to stall the plane but it really wants to keep flying. Nice big loops are easy and very round. It really banks over too.

Finally, landing this plane is a breeze. I made 4 nose high landings on the mains and taxied back each time.

In conclusion, this plane's a winner. This will make a pretty much ideal trainer with a buddy box. I already have 2 extra landing gear wires on order. One for my floats and the other for ski's. I have every confidence that there is plenty of power to pull the plane off water without a problem. Likewise, strapping a small camera on would be a blast too.

Gene
Congratulations on posting the first flight report! I'm glad you like it.

When you put the floats on, how do you plan to seal the battery cavity?

David
Horizon
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 21, 2008, 09:22 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR
... In conclusion, this plane's a winner. This will make a pretty much ideal trainer with a buddy box. ...

...Likewise, strapping a small camera on would be a blast too.

Gene
Thanks Gene, you read my mind on the aerial photography thing. I intend to use a buddy box connection to my DX7 radio to teach the kids how to fly. I brought the box in and they were going nuts! They can't wait to fly it.

I'm assuming you're happy with the power?
Old Aug 21, 2008, 09:27 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Here's a few pics... I think it took about 5 minutes to put together...
Old Aug 22, 2008, 04:41 AM
Lake City, PA USA
Joined Sep 1999
327 Posts
Available power is just fine. Plane is pretty light for its size and the motor really puts out plenty of power. One of the things I am hoping to do this weekend is put my Wattmeter on and see what I get. This is what I was hoping for as I intend to use this on floats.

Gene
Old Aug 22, 2008, 04:45 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,258 Posts
GeneR, thanks 4 the report.How is the power off glide ?..And does anyone know the stall speed ? thanks RTR