HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2008, 08:25 PM
United States, VA, Bedford
Joined Sep 2006
2,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
We have video of John Redman intentionally landing this thing nose first at about a 40 degree arrival angle, just ramming it into the ground, bouncing, powering up and flying away. At one point in the video the cowl even breaks in half and falls away, and he still does a couple more circuits of ramming into the ground, bouncing, and flying away. I'll see if we can get this posted on Youtube or someplace--you'll want to see this video!

David
Horizon
Please post that video somewhere and then post a link to it! I'd absolutely love to see that.
shawn595 is offline Find More Posts by shawn595
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:08 PM
Slidell, LA, USA
Joined Nov 2002
715 Posts
Does the LiPo that comes with the Apprentice have a balancing connector on it? Thanks.
woketman is offline Find More Posts by woketman
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:56 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woketman
Does the LiPo that comes with the Apprentice have a balancing connector on it? Thanks.
Looks like it does, http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...FL2725&Index=8
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:21 PM
Slidell, LA, USA
Joined Nov 2002
715 Posts
Thanks GWH!!!
woketman is offline Find More Posts by woketman
Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:53 AM
Lake City, PA USA
Joined Sep 1999
333 Posts
Thanks Dave,

Great news, that means my dealer should have mine mid week. I will provide a full report asap.

Just one last question, I have a couple of DX6i's that I will use with the Apprentice as a buddy box but my dealer tells me the Spektrum buddy box cord has been on back order for some time. Can I use the JR cord instead?

Thanks again!

Gene
GeneR is offline Find More Posts by GeneR
Old Aug 16, 2008, 01:49 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
752 Posts
Dx5e Radio

This is a question for dave or anyone that can answer,I just called HZ and was ready to order the apprentice but had a question about the radio and could not get an answer so i held off on the order until i get more info, i already have a t28 and still using the stock TX and Rx,i would like get the apprentice and use the spectrum radio that comes with the apprentice in my t28,do i just add a new receiver to the t28 and bind it with the tx from the apprentice ,is there a way to select different aircraft with this tx when i go to fly it like with other spectrum radios or do i have to bind it everytime i switch from the t28 to the apprentice.any help is appricated

Thanks Ron
snoopy3440 is offline Find More Posts by snoopy3440
Old Aug 16, 2008, 02:20 PM
Navarre,Fl
Joined Dec 2001
146 Posts
Dx5 Tx

The DX5 transmitter should work with any of the 7 channel and under receivers. (It may work with the 9 and up but haven't tried) It is DSM2. The DX5e is a one plane TX (can't select a different plane). So you'll have to retrim between planes or mechanically re-center control linkage (a lost art!) when you switch back and forth. Once the rec'vrs are bound to that TX they will work any time they see the TX because the TX has a GUID code programmed in which the rec'vr looks for when it turns on.

Steve Rojecki
Team JR
rojos is offline Find More Posts by rojos
Old Aug 16, 2008, 03:22 PM
Lake City, PA USA
Joined Sep 1999
333 Posts
You can bind any number of receivers (of the same type) to a transmitter. So you could simply bind the new receiver in the T28 (I am using a 6100). The only potential problem would be the servo direction for the T28. Since the DX5 is not a multi memory transmitter you might have to change the servo direction on the transmitter when you switch models.

For example in my DX6i I have one memory called "Parkflyers" that I bind all my foamy planes to. I just make sure that when I set the model up all the servos go the correct direction (easy to do with a foamy). I have 6 models which all are bound to this memory.

Gene
GeneR is offline Find More Posts by GeneR
Old Aug 16, 2008, 03:27 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
752 Posts
DX5 transmitter

Thanks for the reply steve,that is what i am looking to find out,i do not care about re trimming each plane,i just want to make sure i can drop a receiver in the t 28 and i will be able to use the DX5e with it, i would like to have the dx6i but for now its the plane or the TX so i will get the plane and just buy a new receiver for the t28 and later get the dx6i with all the bells and whistles, i just want to be able to fly both planes with the same tx and not worry bout interference,manual trimming for each plane is not a problem,i have not had many glitching problems with the t28 ,sometimes in my development it will jump for a second but i never lost control,i am just afraid someone else will turn on one of these 72mgh nearby and crash me, i also fly at a local field and an abandend air field and and have no problems with interference at those 2 sites i just like the idea of the dsm2 with no chance of someone stepping on my signal

Thanks Ron
Old Aug 16, 2008, 03:36 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR
You can bind any number of receivers (of the same type) to a transmitter. So you could simply bind the new receiver in the T28 (I am using a 6100). The only potential problem would be the servo direction for the T28. Since the DX5 is not a multi memory transmitter you might have to change the servo direction on the transmitter when you switch models.

For example in my DX6i I have one memory called "Parkflyers" that I bind all my foamy planes to. I just make sure that when I set the model up all the servos go the correct direction (easy to do with a foamy). I have 6 models which all are bound to this memory.

Gene
Thanks also gene

i hope that i can do what you say and it is not to much trouble switching the servo,if need be done,worst case is its to much of a pain i would wait and use the stock tx and rx in the t 28 til i can buy or wife lets me buy a dx61 ha ha

Thanks Ron
Old Aug 17, 2008, 11:38 PM
Joined May 2008
9 Posts
Thankx, gwh. I just could'nt wait for the DX5e/AR500 Combo to arrive. Had to prove once and for all that my LP5DSM2 transmitter was "full range" with an AR6200....It Is!!! OK, it cost me $80.00 for the Rx but now I have 200 yards - 200 meters range. The gray area being the 66 feet in between. Also, little known is that this TX has 6 channels, all reversable, plus 3 mixing and 1 heli/Ac channel. There is also a built-in charger (Caution, CENTER PIN is NEG.). While the 300 feet "park range" is enough in most cases, this old fart finds the extra range helpful contending with fickle Montana winds.
Old Art is offline Find More Posts by Old Art
Old Aug 19, 2008, 04:35 PM
plane-air=ground
USA, TX, Ingleside
Joined Oct 2007
366 Posts
art who did you buy the 5dxe transmitter and 500 receiver from?just wondering if you bought it with the apprentice 15.it looks like one heck of a buy just adding up the cost seperately on everything with it.
helisailor is offline Find More Posts by helisailor
Old Aug 19, 2008, 07:22 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
752 Posts
DX5e

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for there reply s and info,i love this forum ,there is so much knowledge and help its great,but i decided to go a different route, i ordered the apprentice today from HZ and hopefully have it buy Friday,i ordered a ar6100 then called back before my shipment left and cancel led the receiver,instead of going threw the trouble of rebinding and resetting servo and trim when going from the t 28 to the apprentice with the dx5e,i thought i would just wait a month and buy a dx6i since it comes with a ar6200,i will take the receiver out of the apprentice and use it in the Trojan with the dx5e for now and when i get the dx6i i will put the ar6200 in the apprentice and use the dx6i with both planes and also use the dx5e for a buddy box setup to teach my son and a few friends

Thanks for the help, Ron
Old Aug 20, 2008, 09:56 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,058 Posts
Mine hopefully will arrive Thus, hardly wait, this puppie should be simply great for Night Flights, gave my cousin the Exceed Bipe as I maidened it into the cement all my error, he's a past modler, hopefully can give him stick time on the Apprentice before he attempts the Bipe, new to RC will need loads of orientation work, even tho flew full size planes...fun ahead...BEST ..<>..

Latest Craze
Art-Tech Pitts, fantastic easy flyer, near trainer qualities
Cox Christin Eagle Pitts on the way, dropped $129 to $89!!! yeahhh!!, also made by Art-Tech, arrive Thus also
Apprentice on the way, wheres my Party Lights...Goin to flyyyy by the Silveryyyy Moonnnn, hi hi
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Old Aug 20, 2008, 02:30 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
752 Posts
Apperntice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnppmy
Mine hopefully will arrive Thus, hardly wait, this puppie should be simply great for Night Flights, gave my cousin the Exceed Bipe as I maidened it into the cement all my error, he's a past modler, hopefully can give him stick time on the Apprentice before he attempts the Bipe, new to RC will need loads of orientation work, even tho flew full size planes...fun ahead...BEST ..<>..

Latest Craze
Art-Tech Pitts, fantastic easy flyer, near trainer qualities
Cox Christin Eagle Pitts on the way, dropped $129 to $89!!! yeahhh!!, also made by Art-Tech, arrive Thus also
Apprentice on the way, wheres my Party Lights...Goin to flyyyy by the Silveryyyy Moonnnn, hi hi

I Just checked ups tracking and mine will arrive friday from HZ,let us know how it flys,if its got any bad habits or is it as good as its been written about,i never thought bout lights on this but i saw a led kit somewhere i forget but i bet with the size of this all lit up it will be easy to see,i am looking forward to this i will repaint it add some flaps and find a spot for my camera, i was dead set on the new parkzone corsair and was cruising this forum and saw a video shot from a supercub.very smooth and slow, I was going to buy bare SC and add new motor,and electronics ,then i saw this,saves all the time doing the supercub over and ,cheaper for me.i shot video from the t28 i added flaps to slow it down ,and they really helped but i find myself starting to do split s, inverted and loops and rolls,the t28 just wants to go,so i thought if i get the corsair its going to be the same as the t28, this will be nice and relaxing going from the t28 to the apprentice,

Ron