HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2009, 05:59 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Hi & thanks for the replys
My wings have some double sided tape holding them together & the plastic shims are like hot glued onto the wings.
I might take it apart and epoxy the 2 together, not too worried about transport...

What ill do is build it so its fly-able and then weigh up all my extras and just put the equivalent weight on the plane to see how it goes.

Any suggestions on motors a little more powerful then the stock brushless?

Max
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:06 AM
Joined Sep 2008
18 Posts
ChancesAU,

You could probably use an E-flite Power 15BL. It is more powerful & bettter quality but fairly expensive. I have used a Scorpion 3014-22. It is much lighter & shorter than the stock motor so you have to put spacers behind it to put the prop. adapter far enough forward to match the cowl. That motor is designed to fly up to 2.25 kg & the Apprentice without extras is about 1.4 kg. The other flactor is the battery/ESC combo. They limit the maximum power to around 300W whereas the Scorpion can produce more with bigger ESC.

RB
rbwater is offline Find More Posts by rbwater
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:11 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=277
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=279
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Old Feb 17, 2009, 01:24 PM
Joined Feb 2009
51 Posts
Wing Separation Update

I got word today, via Dave, the Apprentice's assembly instructions are getting updated to include an instruction to Glue the wing halves together.

I am pleased to see that there is an effort to make the Apprentice product as good as it can be by following up on feedback.

Wayne Croteau
WJCJR1 is offline Find More Posts by WJCJR1
Old Feb 17, 2009, 08:04 PM
Joined Feb 2009
51 Posts
Weight

Chances AU a.k.a.: Max,

I think you are fully on track here but just for my peace of mind, remember to add the weight in increments. Smaller the increments the better.

Would hate to see you put that nice plane together,from scratch as you are doing it. Go out to the field, fly it's maiden then load it up with weight and be surprised into a disaster by the much different flight characteristics of the extra weight.

On my front I got the motor mount today, pulled busted one off, pulled ESC through unhooked, rehooked motor, remounted motor, ESC and ESC bracket. I picked up some medium viscosity CA today from the hobby store, as Dave from E-Flite suggested we use on the Z-Foam. I glued the wings together. Can't say I am too excited about the glue yet, wait till cure before I give my full stamp of approval though. Also must say not excited either about doing this rework and purchase of replacement parts, albeit parts are cheap but still it's the point I shouldn't of had to buy & install new motor mount, live with a damaged wing and waste this time. If only I had listened to my own advice... I am sure all will be better once the Apprentice is back up and flying commandingly and sturdy.

Anyone here from Minnesota?

Wayne
WJCJR1 is offline Find More Posts by WJCJR1
Old Feb 17, 2009, 09:31 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
well I just picked one of these up from a friend...with a EFlite power 25... nice, ROG is 5 feet with a 50* climbout.

My first impressions (despite not being stock):

1) Nice flyer, but definately a trainer...may need to work on her

2) stable even at slow speeds... even when conducting hard banking turns.

3) lands easy...

Over all I am impressed. Time to use her to train the Fiance. I might add flaps just to slower her down more...be kinda cool to land at a near crawl and plop all the wheels down like a harrier.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Feb 18, 2009, 02:53 AM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
79 Posts
I just picked mine up today, too

So far I have read this thread, looking for any tips. I'll probably assemble it later tonight.
JohninOz is offline Find More Posts by JohninOz
Old Feb 18, 2009, 05:54 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback guys!
Ill go ahead and order up the running gear from hobbycity this weekend, should be up in the air soon so ill pop back in and post some pics of the build and video/pics of the maiden
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Feb 18, 2009, 07:01 PM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninOz
I just picked mine up today, too

So far I have read this thread, looking for any tips. I'll probably assemble it later tonight.
Hi Johnin,

I bent the nose gear back just a little bit (perhaps 6 or 8mm?) to give the front wheel a little bit of castor action. I did this because when landing on rough grass, the front wheel was being pulled around sideways when it hit a tuft of grass, resulting in a nose-over landing.

Regards,
Harrow.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Last edited by Harrow; Feb 18, 2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 03:48 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
cool
does it help?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 06:26 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.guzun
cool
does it help?
Yes, I land on a rough football field, and often used to have the steering rod clevis ripped off the servo arm. I haven't had a problem since I did it. Maybe best to see how you go, and only do it if you start to have problems. Still not enough for grass take offs, unless you can find a bare patch of dirt. At least us Ozzies have cricket pitches.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 06:37 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
please, make photo of it
thanks
Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:10 AM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow
Hi Johnin,

I bent the nose gear back just a little bit (perhaps 6 or 8mm?) to give the front wheel a little bit of castor action. I did this because when landing on rough grass, the front wheel was being pulled around sideways when it hit a tuft of grass, resulting in a nose-over landing.

Regards,
Harrow.
Thanks for that. The airfield I use is known for it lumps and bumps - I was actually looking for somewhere smoother for the maiden. Bend backwards, huh? I'll give it a crack - seems easier than putting larger wheels on.
JohninOz is offline Find More Posts by JohninOz
Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:25 AM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
The best mod is to change the wheels out for 2 1/4...makes a huge difference on rough grass. Also get shorter take offs since the wheels will roll easier in the grass.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:24 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninOz
Thanks for that. The airfield I use is known for it lumps and bumps - I was actually looking for somewhere smoother for the maiden. Bend backwards, huh? I'll give it a crack - seems easier than putting larger wheels on.
I would suggest the bigger wheels as well. I put 2 1/2 inch on the front, and 2 1/4 on the back (trying to get some up-thrust and some prop clearance), but still have a big problem with grass take offs.

The park I went to this morning did not have a cricket pitch, so I had to take off from the car park. I'm actually thinking of buying some sort of mat that I can roll out so that I can take off anywhere I want. It only needs to be a metre wide and 3 metres long.

Let us all know how your maiden goes!!!