HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2009, 06:13 PM
Timmmaaaahhh!!!
NW Indiana
Joined Mar 2008
502 Posts
Anyone using spoilerons for the Apprentice? I have these on my T-28. There easy to program...just wondering.

Tim
whitehawk is offline Find More Posts by whitehawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2009, 07:37 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow
(loops, rolls, innermans, etc.)
Not to get to picky, but it might come up sometime later in life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immelmann_turn

I like this plane and hope to get one some day.

Rob
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Feb 08, 2009, 09:08 PM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj
Not to get to picky, but it might come up sometime later in life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immelmann_turn

I like this plane and hope to get one some day.

Rob
Ha, yes I knew I had it wrong when I wrote it, but was too lazy to check.

Anyway, welcome to all the new Apprentice flyers this week. Wayne, Captain, and the rest!!!
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Feb 08, 2009, 09:28 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow
Ha, yes I knew I had it wrong when I wrote it, but was too lazy to check.

Anyway, welcome to all the new Apprentice flyers this week. Wayne, Captain, and the rest!!!
Trust me it's not a spelling thing, I'm the worst at that. But I've lip synced songs for years, then found out I never knew the correct words and my wife calls it out...oops.

Rob
Old Feb 09, 2009, 03:08 AM
Random Flier
Oxford (UK) and Mtn View CA (USA)
Joined Nov 2002
1,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCJR1
...The slats [slots] that are cut for the Ailerons leave little thickness of foam from which the aileron attaches to the wing. Has anyone reinforced these with some tape on the top side, or am I coming up with a fix for something that isn't broke? ...
Yep my aileron hinge gave way on 1 side and partially on the other. Used tape top and bottom to fix...
isvana is offline Find More Posts by isvana
Old Feb 09, 2009, 05:21 AM
Joined Feb 2009
51 Posts
Aileron seperation

Isvana I am not surprised at your report. Actually surprised more have not reported such occurences.

Wayne
WJCJR1 is offline Find More Posts by WJCJR1
Old Feb 09, 2009, 05:52 AM
iCharger 106B user
Lab, Slovak Republic
Joined Jun 2008
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehawk
Anyone using spoilerons for the Apprentice? I have these on my T-28. There easy to program...just wondering.

Tim
i programmed spoilerons on mine, but had no time to fly it.
alex.guzun is offline Find More Posts by alex.guzun
Old Feb 09, 2009, 03:13 PM
Joined Feb 2009
51 Posts
Battery

Anyone use a battery larger than the E-Flite 3200mAH, 3S, 15C or optional 20C?

For you who have used the optional 20C did you note any performance enhancements?

For the price of the above mentioned E-Flite battery in the 20C version one can get some real big packs from CheapBatteryPacks.com. I have purchased some Elite (not E-flite) brand NIMH from them for my SuperCub and was impressed with their service and price. Are the E-Flite batteries THAT good or just their normal price is higher???

Does anyone know if the Elite brand LIPO is a good reliable pack? I'll pose that question about the E-Flite now is that a good pack?

Anyway back to the original question, let k me know if you've used a larger mAH battery and what your flight times were. Additionally if there was any perfornace response worth noting between the 15C and 20C.

What would happen with a 5000mAH battery with a 30C draw capacity?

Wayne
Old Feb 09, 2009, 05:49 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,158 Posts
Quote:
Anyone use a battery larger than the E-Flite 3200mAH, 3S, 15C or optional 20C?

For you who have used the optional 20C did you note any performance enhancements?

For the price of the above mentioned E-Flite battery in the 20C version one can get some real big packs from CheapBatteryPacks.com. I have purchased some Elite (not E-flite) brand NIMH from them for my SuperCub and was impressed with their service and price. Are the E-Flite batteries THAT good or just their normal price is higher???

Does anyone know if the Elite brand LIPO is a good reliable pack? I'll pose that question about the E-Flite now is that a good pack?

Anyway back to the original question, let k me know if you've used a larger mAH battery and what your flight times were. Additionally if there was any perfornace response worth noting between the 15C and 20C.

What would happen with a 5000mAH battery with a 30C draw capacity?

Wayne
If the plane is all stock no difference except longer flight times. A 3c has the same voltage as a smaller 3c. A 4c has more voltage and the motor would spin faster..if it can handle the extra voltage without smoking.
Old Feb 09, 2009, 06:05 PM
Joined Feb 2009
51 Posts
Battery

Yes that is what I meant a 5000mAH 3S battery. I may be interested in this. Heck I haven't yet run my pack through it's entirety yet. I just remember when I flew the Super Cub even with the larger packs at 18-20 minutes I still wanted more flight time.

So maybe I will check and see how long this plane flies with the stock battery or 20 C battery and decide at that point if I need a larger battery then.

Wayne
Old Feb 09, 2009, 07:21 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,309 Posts
Quote:
Yes that is what I meant a 5000mAH 3S battery. I may be interested in this. Heck I haven't yet run my pack through it's entirety yet. I just remember when I flew the Super Cub even with the larger packs at 18-20 minutes I still wanted more flight time.

So maybe I will check and see how long this plane flies with the stock battery or 20 C battery and decide at that point if I need a larger battery then.

Wayne
Wayne,

Given the existing weight and wing size of the Apprentice, I would say there will be little difference in performance with the bigger battery, so you should simply get an increase in flight time in proportion with the larger battery capacity. Perhaps the extra wing loading will help a little in stronger breezes.

I use the stock battery (3200mAh) and my flight times generally vary from 15 to 22 minutes with a mix of cruising and basic acrobatics with several take offs and landings. The maximum I have achieved is 42 minutes, which consisted entirely of cruising just above stall speed 10ft off the ground with no climbs. I fly to battery cut-off about half the time, and otherwise land when I notice the power dropping away, and when I return home and recharge I find I have used about 85% of capacity.

Instead of getting a larger battery, you might be better off with a couple of smaller ones that you could also use for other purposes? For example, I have two 2200mAh batteries that I use in a Parkzone Corsair and E-flight Taylorcraft, but it also gives me the option of running them together in the Apprentice as a 4400mAh.

Regards,
Harrow.
Old Feb 09, 2009, 09:31 PM
Joined Oct 2007
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.guzun
i programmed spoilerons on mine, but had no time to fly it.
For the uninitiated, can you explain spoilerons? i am assuming it is moving the alerons together like flaps? Do you drive them off different Rx channels?

Thanks
Sir Krashalot is offline Find More Posts by Sir Krashalot
Old Feb 09, 2009, 09:57 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Krashalot
For the uninitiated, can you explain spoilerons? i am assuming it is moving the alerons together like flaps? Do you drive them off different Rx channels?

Thanks
Spoilerons are like flaps, but up instead of down. With a programmable radio, you can run the ailerons off two channels so that they act as flaps or spoilerons when you flick the appropriate switch.

You will loose lift when you use the spoilerons (as opposed to gaining lift with flaps). I have been toying with the idea to increase the stall speed after landing 'backwards' the other day in rather gusty conditions. I also wonder if I can use them to slow my plane down, as one place I fly has a very steep approach after coming over some trees, and then very limited landing area.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 05:43 AM
Apprentice E-15 Newby
KANAGAWA JAPAN
Joined Feb 2009
38 Posts
Speaking of batteries, I just ordered and extra from Value Hobby for half the price but guess what? You guessed it, being a newb, i didnt realise that their battery came with Dean plugs and the stock one does not. Guess I will be in the market to convert the stock over to dean as some have mentioned in this thread. Call it a newbie mistake, but i hope it helps everybody else.
AV8TER65 is offline Find More Posts by AV8TER65
Old Feb 10, 2009, 08:36 AM
Joined Oct 2007
33 Posts
You might consider replacing the connector that comes with the Apprentice with a Dean connector. I did this and it is a much more reliable connector and you don't have to pull so hard to disconnect. I also extended the harness from the ESC, which is way too short stock. This way I can swap batteries between my heli's and other RC's. Can also use my better charger/balancer for all batteries.

It's an easy install if you know how to solder and heat shrink.
Sir Krashalot is offline Find More Posts by Sir Krashalot