HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2008, 08:10 PM
Lake City, PA USA
Joined Sep 1999
326 Posts
As far as a power supply goes, this probably would not work. The battery is 3000mah which is 3 amps. You charge at 1C which is 3 amps give or take. So, you need a 12 volt power supply rated at 3 amps.

E-Flite sells power supplies for some of their chargers. Perhaps Dave can chime in here and tell us if they sell a power supply which will work with the charger included with the apprentice.

Finally, Dave, are we still on track with the Apprentices shipping to LHS this week?

Gene
GeneR is offline Find More Posts by GeneR
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2008, 10:18 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR
As far as a power supply goes, this probably would not work. The battery is 3000mah which is 3 amps. You charge at 1C which is 3 amps give or take. So, you need a 12 volt power supply rated at 3 amps.

E-Flite sells power supplies for some of their chargers. Perhaps Dave can chime in here and tell us if they sell a power supply which will work with the charger included with the apprentice.

Finally, Dave, are we still on track with the Apprentices shipping to LHS this week?

Gene
Gene,

I said "about a week," and right now it looks like early next week instead of late this week. Still in the ballpark of what I intended.

We agree completely with those who are questioning if this is a park flyer. It definitely is too large and heavy for traditional park flying, and is intended to be flown by beginners with help from an instructor. Even though it only uses a 15-sized equivalent electric motor, it really is the size of what has traditionally been a .40-sized glow trainer.

I can tell you this is a fantastic flying airplane. It has good self-righting characteristics, benign stall, lots of power, and a very low landing speed. The wing loading is only 11 oz/sq ft, which makes it a real floater. The weird thing is with these characteristics, it also is pretty good at aerobatics, too. Kind of like a high-wing version of the ParkZone T-28, but with better training characteristics.

David
Horizon
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 05, 2008, 11:18 PM
United States, VA, Bedford
Joined Sep 2006
2,018 Posts
David,

Thanks for the answers. Can you tell us if there are plans to sell this model in a PNP format? The Multiplex Mentor has my attention right now but I'd gladly consider the Apprentice if I didn't have to buy a RTF package.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'd like to know.

Thanks!
Shawn
shawn595 is offline Find More Posts by shawn595
Old Aug 06, 2008, 05:18 AM
Lake City, PA USA
Joined Sep 1999
326 Posts
Thanks Dave,

Just glad it is not really going to be early September. Thanks for the update.

I see this as a great platform for many things like a small camera, floats, skis, etc.

Appreciate the update.
Gene
Old Aug 06, 2008, 08:40 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,329 Posts
gee we have had it on sale here in Australia for the past couple of weeks

a very nice looking model, but i bought a Blade 400 with a DX6i so wouldn't want the RTF one, but if it was released in PnP i reckon i know a few, who would buy one

so Dave will we have the Corsair before you guys too?

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:21 AM
Lake City, PA USA
Joined Sep 1999
326 Posts
Hi Dave,

Any chance of a quick update when they do leave the warehouse?

Thanks
Gene
Old Aug 13, 2008, 01:25 PM
Joined May 2008
9 Posts
Anyone know how to get hold of a copy of the "dedicated" DX5e manual that comes with the F4U RTF Corsair? Or, if Horizon plans on selling this TX alone? Right now i'm trying to get a little more than present 100 meter range out of my LP5DSM (DSM2)/AR6100 Combo.....Any hints?.....Old Art, Montana, USA.
Old Art is offline Find More Posts by Old Art
Old Aug 13, 2008, 02:01 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,605 Posts
Take a look at pages 22-34 of this manual, http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...nual-LoRes.pdf

Also take a look at the HP6DSM TX that will be coming with the Blade CP Pro 2 http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH1056 It is also full range.

I would think that when the H9 Alpha 40, PZ Corsair, EF BLADE CP Po 2, and EF Apprentice all hit the market in the next few months there will be several DX5e and HP6DSM Tx for sell here and at Ebay.
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Old Aug 13, 2008, 02:43 PM
California
Joined Dec 2005
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darenm
I hate rubberbands!!! Why can't they do the magnets and hooks like on the t28?
I agree.
1toslope is offline Find More Posts by 1toslope
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:11 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
Gene,
We agree completely with those who are questioning if this is a park flyer. It definitely is too large and heavy for traditional park flying, and is intended to be flown by beginners with help from an instructor. Even though it only uses a 15-sized equivalent electric motor, it really is the size of what has traditionally been a .40-sized glow trainer.

David
Horizon
Sorry for any confusion,feel free to have the thread moved to the correct catagory. I would be much more interested in an arf or pnp version as well,looks like a very stable ap platform or relaxing plane to fly,id be more than comfortable with this plane at the park i fly at but do have flying expierence.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:16 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,913 Posts
Quote:
I hate rubberbands!!! Why can't they do the magnets and hooks like on the t28?
For one the plane is meant to be a trainer. Rubber bands will snap or pop loose or just allow the wing to shift on impact avoiding damage,strength and rigidity are not always a good thing for all types of aircraft(think crumple zones on cars for survivability). For this plane it makes sense,the z-foam works great that ive flown prior.. easy to repair if really crashed bad but very resilant for typical crash landings,flexable to absorb impacts that would damage balsa planes during lesser impacts. Really looking forward to see what people do with this plane when they are out here,especially ap and video applications.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2008, 04:54 AM
Lake City, PA USA
Joined Sep 1999
326 Posts
I guess these still are not available. I was hoping to see mine for the weekend. Maybe the early September date on the web site is correct.

Gene
Old Aug 14, 2008, 08:27 AM
plane-air=ground
USA, TX, Ingleside
Joined Oct 2007
366 Posts
the way dave talked horizon had to open every box and fedex-ups-usps proof package the lipos before shipping to hobby shops.we all know how the boxes are thrown around by these shippers.it has taken almost 2 weeks though.i wonder how much damage was caused so far to the planes?
helisailor is offline Find More Posts by helisailor
Old Aug 14, 2008, 09:13 AM
Joined Jun 2006
158 Posts
I am one of my club instructors and am really looking forward to these planes. The RF enviornment of our club is horrible and the RTF trainers that have been available using 72mhz radios are problematic at best. By shipping with the DX5 we will avoid helping students rebuild their aircraft after their planes do the airborne funky chicken on the maiden flight. The Z foam planes I own are wonderfull in terms of repair and the abuse they take. My T-28 has over 300 flights on it, about half of those for students on a buddy box. Overall, i'd say this will be a great asset to new pilots and for us "old farts" who need to work on our basic airmanship now and again.
garlonbs is offline Find More Posts by garlonbs
Old Aug 14, 2008, 08:23 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,176 Posts
GeneR: the Apprentices shipped to dealers today.

helisailor: yes, we had to reposition the lipo in every single box so that it wouldn't get damaged in shipment. The airframes & radios are fine, it's just the way the factory placed the lipo in the foam case liner left it vulnerable to damage from any kind of blow to the top of the box. In the process we did find a few batteries that were damaged, so I'm glad we did the rework to make sure we didn't ship those to customers.

garlonbs: I'm sure you'll like the Apprentice. Of course it has the Z-foam durability & repairability, but we haven't yet publicized that we've gone to a polycarbonate firewall for this airplane. You know, the stuff that safety glasses are made from? We have video of John Redman intentionally landing this thing nose first at about a 40 degree arrival angle, just ramming it into the ground, bouncing, powering up and flying away. At one point in the video the cowl even breaks in half and falls away, and he still does a couple more circuits of ramming into the ground, bouncing, and flying away. I'll see if we can get this posted on Youtube or someplace--you'll want to see this video!

David
Horizon
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor