HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,663 Posts
Low temp hot melt glue is super for this application also. I have went more and more to hot melt after having epoxy and gorilla glue harden up and get brittle, then get a break just past the glue joint. Hot melt stays slightly flexible (not that it's going to flex in flight) and holds like vise grips. Slight flexibility like the silicone and quick set like epoxy with what I believe is better adhesion than either.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:20 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,615 Posts
That sounds hood
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:54 PM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
i have just used 6 min epoxy to fix the plane foam. but if the fire wall comes off I use silicon adhesive from home depot so i can get it off if i need to
chaos2984 is offline Find More Posts by chaos2984
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:23 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos2984 View Post
i have just used 6 min epoxy to fix the plane foam. but if the fire wall comes off I use silicon adhesive from home depot so i can get it off if i need to
I've never used silicon on foam but the factory apparently does so it should be fine.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:54 PM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
well i had some lying around from when i sealed my windows with it. it was silicon so i tried it and it worked and its cheap. Like 4 bux for a full calk tube
chaos2984 is offline Find More Posts by chaos2984
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:29 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
720 Posts
Pusher Apprentice

I come up with an idea of converting the apprentice to a pusher,i had an idea a while ago to make it into a twin but after thinking about it i would have created more problems,i am using this for fpv and and would be great to have the prop in the back,i have 2 of these so i would like to experiment a bit on this one,i have had this since it first came out and i love this plane,great for fpv and just to relax and fly,you can load it up,i still have the stock motors in both and they are still running strong,i have everything except a thick carbon tube to convert this just wondering how this would fly when done,any thoughts on this project are welcomed,the conversion does not seem to difficult,i am thinking of cutting off the back and adding some ply and make a motor mount up top to install the original motor,then add a carbon tube and mount the tail on that,i will remove some foam here and there give the battery some more room and work out the cog,
Here is a quick sketch i made
Ron
snoopy3440 is offline Find More Posts by snoopy3440
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:09 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy3440 View Post
I come up with an idea of converting the apprentice to a pusher,i had an idea a while ago to make it into a twin but after thinking about it i would have created more problems,i am using this for fpv and and would be great to have the prop in the back,i have 2 of these so i would like to experiment a bit on this one,i have had this since it first came out and i love this plane,great for fpv and just to relax and fly,you can load it up,i still have the stock motors in both and they are still running strong,i have everything except a thick carbon tube to convert this just wondering how this would fly when done,any thoughts on this project are welcomed,the conversion does not seem to difficult,i am thinking of cutting off the back and adding some ply and make a motor mount up top to install the original motor,then add a carbon tube and mount the tail on that,i will remove some foam here and there give the battery some more room and work out the cog,
Here is a quick sketch i made
Ron
Hi Ron, I too had the similar notion just recently. I use my apprentice exclusively with floats and now I am interested in adding fpv to it. I am interested in your experiment and will be following your progress.
I realize that having your prop in the camera view is less than ideal but what about mounting the camera on top of the wing so that you may look over top the prop instead? Just a thought I suppose.
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:01 PM
Keep Flying
Swedesboro NJ
Joined May 2008
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
Hi Ron, I too had the similar notion just recently. I use my apprentice exclusively with floats and now I am interested in adding fpv to it. I am interested in your experiment and will be following your progress.
I realize that having your prop in the camera view is less than ideal but what about mounting the camera on top of the wing so that you may look over top the prop instead? Just a thought I suppose.
HEy WhalleyBoy

Yes i have had it on top of the wing,under the battery [to much dust]just about everwhere,LOL i now have it in front of winshield,kinda liked the prop look for a while but now it would be nice to move the prop and have more room up front,i love this plane very stable and simple to fly,i was just out tonight no long range just shooting some t&G with the fatsharks in the drizzle LOL need wipers and defroster on my camera lens LOL,
i was looking at a pick of the skywalker and came to this idea,instead of tube that is foam and the elevator is up high.im no airplane engineer so i am not sure how it would workout but i do like to experiment,i think this would be a great pusher it handles plenty of weight and with the tricycle gear would be great with t&g,i kinda got it in my head just have to do it,gotta find a nice carbon tube at the HS,my thought is cut it off run some ply up the back go above the wing with the ply design a nice mount for the motor maybe reverse the shaft and keep the motor over the wing keeping as much weight forward maybe run a 3 blade mas for better clearance .i think installing the tube and tail feathers at the right angle with linkage will not be to difficult.have to keep running it threw the brain, got smoke out my ears now thinking bout it LOL.when i get in the mood i will take a saw an chop the back off,then there is no turning back,like cortez burning the ships.i will have to finish.might have a funky flying pusher apprentice LOL

Ron
snoopy3440 is offline Find More Posts by snoopy3440
Old Mar 12, 2013, 01:25 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2012
628 Posts
Just picked up 2 used (one really beat up) Apprentices for what I feel was a good deal. Been reading backwards on this thread gleaning knowledge. Didn't have the rubber bands - so I've already picked up #64s today. Looking at the 2.5" Bush Wheels - probably will be ordering them on Ebay shortly. Very excited about these planes.
jdr00ejr is offline Find More Posts by jdr00ejr
Old Mar 12, 2013, 01:33 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,401 Posts
Go for 3" wheels.
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX7 Programing - Ultimate...
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:04 PM
Joined Oct 2012
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
Go for 3" wheels.
In my backwards reading - I thought I read the large (bush type) 3" wheels won't work? Are you using those or the thin ones?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:10 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,401 Posts
Okay, I was afraid I might have jumped the gun on that. Might be more difficulty with 3". Just speaking of experience with my HZ SuperCub. Fitted 3" super lite wheels and really like them.
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX7 Programing - Ultimate...
Old Mar 12, 2013, 04:53 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,179 Posts
I think 3" up front and 2.5" in the back is a good mod on this plane to prevent prop strikes, but you may want to search this thread to confirm that.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:41 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr00ejr View Post
In my backwards reading - I thought I read the large (bush type) 3" wheels won't work? Are you using those or the thin ones?
I have 3" wheel on front, and 2.5" on back. I needed to very slightly bend the front wire and also installed a bushing to hold the wheel to one side so it wouldn't rub.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:30 AM
Joined Oct 2012
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
I have 3" wheel on front, and 2.5" on back. I needed to very slightly bend the front wire and also installed a bushing to hold the wheel to one side so it wouldn't rub.
Good to know - I may revise my plan then. Do you have a picture?